OK I am a fat chick who loves wine

Options

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think it largely depends on your daily calorie goal.

Someone who has a daily calorie goal of say 1800 per day can afford to have 300 calories of wine in the mix and not forgo adequate nutrition. Someone who has a daily goal of 1200 can't afford to have 300 alcohol calories a day because you can't get adequate nutrition from the remaining 900.

Do what you like, but for most of us, trying to keep 80% or more of our calories focused on nutrition and 20% or less on "treats/empty calories" works a lot better in the long run.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The thought of anyone adding water to wine makes me want to cry. I love reds, cabs especially. I am talking nice quality small vineyard reds. If I pop open a $25 bottle of wine, I am drinking the entire thing. I usually split it with my husband. You aren't going to see me doing that every night, that is way too much money. But I am also not going to dilute the perfection that I have just uncorked.

The issue isn't drinking the wine, the issue is you are potentially spending 500-600 calories every day on wine. I don't care if you do that, but what kind of calorie restriction are we talking about here? Is this 500 calories in a 1500 calorie diet? So you are only getting 1000 calories worth of FOOD? That is an issue of health. You are going to stress your body out and make yourself sick.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Most people have a hard time losing weight unless they cut out the alcohol except on special occasions. But I know one girl that said no way can she give up her wine. I think she is doing okay but her progress is a bit slower and she has accepted that.

Really it's all about calories and keeping a calorie budget. That is all that matters for weight loss.

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.
    Well it worked for me. You can argue with the results if you want to but I'm pretty happy with my results.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I've lost about 45 lbs and reached my goal weight enjoying my red wine the entire time. Gave up most bread, pasta, sugars,white rice...but not my wine. A girl has to have her limits :drinker:
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it. I have my wine every night and I continue to lose weight. I just make sure to save some calories for it so that I don't go over my calorie count. In many countries around the world wine with dinner is a staple and having wine every night will not make you sick. Please please please don't put soda water in it THAT IS JUST NASTY!!!:drinker:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Most people have a hard time losing weight unless they cut out the alcohol except on special occasions. But I know one girl from the Venus Index Forum who is from the Netherlands and said no way can she give up her wine. I think she is doing okay but her progress is a bit slower and she has accepted that. But we have some unique tools over there that help with success compared to "free" sites. Sometimes realizing you are worth the investment is a real life changer.

you mean "free" sites are not free? How does that work?

What "unique" tools does VI have that would help with wine consumption or is this a soft sell?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories, it's totally fine. Just don't sacrifice too much food in favor of it...

nutrition and fuel for your body and what not.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Me too nice to meet you!
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND LOVE MY WINE!!! I sometimes switch to wine spritzers with line, half wine, half seltzer water with a twist of lime. They are good!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I love wine, my wine cooler is filled with Mosacto, however, I found that when I was trying to fit Moscato in with my diet, I wasn't loosing any weight.

So I have decided to cut down on my wine intake and try it a different way. You have to figure out what works for you but substituting wine for actual food, is the most bizarre thing I have heard and I don't agree with it at all.

Eat healthy and if your calories allow a glass of wine then so be it. However, if you are in a state where you HAVE TO have 3 or more glasses a night then you have a much bigger problem than trying to lose weight and you may want to look into that as well.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well I see there are mixed reviews on to drink or not to drink. That's what I love about these boards. But I think I will change things slowly, add the sparkling water to begin with.

For those of you who are harsh and want to 'tell the truth" thanks for your humble opinions

For those of you who enjoy your wine and have made it work I believe you have found your balance

cheers

I have lost 75 lbs and have drunk wine all the way through! I gave up all grains ages ago and one (of the many good) side effects has been that even if I have over indulged on the wine front the night before (and believe me I am well able to do that!) is that I no longer seem to have the fatty/carby/sugary cravings for all of the next day. I honestly believe that a lot of my weight problem was down to the fact that the day after I would crave crap and I no longer do that.

I definitely drink less these days and I only drink white wine which I mix with fizzy water - but I think that is a by-product of feeling well and just wanting it less rather than any big decision to cut back.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :drinker:

(I'd like to post a pic of the glass of wine that is sitting by my keyboard right now, but I can't be bothered - lol)
  • Freya807
    Options
    Honey, I feel your pain. If I had to pick only 5 items to eat for the rest of my life it would be cheese, baguette, butter, olive oil, and wine. My reasons why I've joined this site should be inherent at this point!

Here's how I handle the shakes: If being skinny were easy, everyone would be skinny. As it is, most people in this country are overweight. You've got to be tough on yourself and suck it up. This doesn't mean that you'll never be able to drink wine again, it just means you need to learn a different lifestyle. That lifestyle includes exercise and restraint (except for weekends and special occasions!) What's worse is that even if a glass of wine is only around 100 calories, it acts as a depressant and can inhibit your body from burning other calories as efficiently. And it gives you the munchies.

Once you get down to your goal weight it will be easier for you splurge a little without ruining everything. Hence, French women who eat and drink all the delicious things they do while still staying slim. If you gain a pound or two after a weekend of debauchery, you can lose it by being good during the following week and get back to your goal. Playing around while you're trying to lose will only prolong the process, so unfortunately it looks like you're headed for a few months of crankiness.

Don't get me wrong--I would rather be a chunk than go the rest of my life without my favorite foods and drinks. Being skinny isn't worth that! But it is worth it to go through a few months of hard living, get down to that goal weight, and then begin to enjoy my favorite foods again after I've committed to a fitness plan and become used to smaller portions.

Another thing about those French b!tches: Don't let the glamorous rumors fool you. They eat small portions, exercise a lot, and probably don't drink as much as you think (one glass during dinner, to me, is not much!) It's just math--they don't have any special bodypart that you don't have, so they have to obey the same rules. Plus, I'll take the over on how many times they barf up their duck a l'orange during one week. Okay, now I'm just being nasty. I mentioned the crankiness, didn't I?

At the end of the day, it will be worth it. Hang in there, sister!
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love wine. I'm a wine drinker. I love to drink lots and lots of wine. At a point it becomes less about the delicious taste of your glass of wine you are enjoying with dinner, and more about your lack of self control and enjoying a buzz. A glass of wine with dinner? Great! But why the need to drink more? I am abstaining from wine right now because it is much easier to do several glasses than just one.

And on that note, wine glasses come so big and an actual wine portion is quite small. Everywhere I go people fill the glass all the way to the top. So if you are saying "I drink two glasses of wine" you need to be honest and recognize that it might more like four glasses or servings of wine. And a whole lot of unnecessary calories.
  • careyannal
    Options
    A glass or two of wine a night might not make you FAT (there are lots of slim people who drink every night) BUT it won't do ANYTHING to help you LOSE WEIGHT.

Its really a matter of simple priorities. Which do you want more - wine or weight loss??
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to say this once, and it's going to be harsh and most won't like what I am going to say. If you are a sensitive person, do not read any further.

Alcohol is not nutrition. If you are using your nutrition calories for alcohol, you are an idiot. You are doing two things, you are making your body malnourished, and you are replacing nutrition with poison for part of your allotted nutrition calories.

That's all I'm going to say on this. I'm sorry if that offends some people. But, I'm pretty passionate about it. Alcohol is always above and beyond for me.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just want to add that your body processes alcohol before it processes food...which means that you are more likely to end up storing food calories instead of using them...that means less weight loss.

Do I drink? Absolutely, but I'm a social drinker, so maybe once a week.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love to drink red wine as an aperitif at 6PM and sometimes with dinner as well. Unfortunately I had to cut back in order to lose weight as I wasn't willing to exercise an additional hour each day to compensate for the extra calories.

It is difficult for me to lose weight at a pound per week if my calories go much over 1400. If 400 of these are wine then I would have to starve myself and would be unable eat a well balanced diet sould always be hungry. I don't believe that type of weightloss is sustainable and certainly not very pleasant.

So as you are asking for advice, I would recommend your cutting back to no more than two glasses every other day or one glass per evening. This will put you in defict an additional 1000 calories per week and should help you to begin to lose again.

I hope this is helpful.

(BTW-I'm an American who lives in France and they think it's Americans who are the rude ones. Given much of what I see in the posts here I would say they have a point.)
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    just plan it into your day :) I am sure there are lots of skinny folks out there who love wine as well!

ME, I had 2 apple cider ales last evening. I don't think that will ruin my plans, I just plan it in.

Enjoy, in moderation and if you are worried try adding a little diet 7up or sierra mist and lightening it up a bit or you could look into trying some lighter calorie options? Not all wines are created equal?
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It is everything in moderation, I like a drink, but never drink in the week, experience has taught me that one is never enough and I dont function well after more than a few, especially at work the next day! I do a little extra exercise at the weekend to be able to have a glass or three of wine on a saturday night if I want it . It works for me (perhaps its age but the older I get the less important having a drink seems to be!)

I used to be a fairly heavy drinker for a female in my younger days (to the extent that I ate little and drank quite a lot - I would say rather a lot infact ) nowadays I have found other activites to fill my time and really dont miss the hangovers I used to get.
  • Culley34
    Options
    Giving up booze at the start of your journey will definitely put your results on the accelerated path. At least, I've noticed that with myself.

It's never *just* about the booze -- it's about the fact it gives you the munchies and you just want to feast on unhealthy food.