IS THIS FAT OR SKIN???? PLEASE HELP

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    To the op, well done on an amazing weight loss.
    Having watched quite a few weight loss programmes on television, I would say it is mostly loose skin, and agree it would need to be removed by surgery.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its both. Lose the fat and the skin will retract. How much depends.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are trying to get technical, calipers that measure fat from pinching skin can tell you what you need to know. First things first -

YOU HAVE GOT TO CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME.

You have to be positive, because these things take time and calling yourself names weighs you down. Plus, not everyone on these boards are nice, sweet, motivating people. You don't want others making fun of you off the bat. Maybe shrinkingsparetire or the like is more motivating?

Best wishes too ya!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This sort of thing became commonplace among those who have undergone excessive weight loss which, unfortunately, is accompanied by lean muscle mass loss. If you focus on extensive*** toning to rebuild the abdominal muscles, you will undoubtedly see improvement. If you are older than 30 yrs old, you are not likely to achieve a perfectly flat stomach due to the loss of skin elasticity that accompanies aging; however, you will not have the pouches of fat.

I believe after you have done your absolute best to tone up on your own, and reach a point where there is absolutely no improvement, then go ahead with surgery. However, do not opt for surgery simply because you do not feel like putting in the hard work. You will achieve better results if you improve the underlying abdominal muscle.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    Lift heavy. you will be amazed what it does for you - I have a few friends who have lost major amounts of weight and have gotten their loose skin under control - also give it time. your ticker on your profile says that you have 50 more pounds to lose - lose them and see what happens. I wouldnt jump on the surgery bandwagon just yet.

Absolutely. I was told by a plastic surgeon that toning over an appreciable period of time may make surgery unnecessary.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Right? Wow it took a lot for me to actually post this photo :(

I'm sure it did. Our body images and how we see our selves can take a lot out of us. The person posting that is incredibly callous and insulting.
    You've lost a lot of weight and it's in an area which can be very responsive to exercise. Define a program that has you working the core and you'll see some good results over time that will help you both on your weight loss and redefining that area.

Ignore the idiots.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have lost 180+ lbs and have the same thing going on. I am still shrinking and I have been at goal wt for 3 months. When I was in my 20s I lost 70 lbs and it all went back. However, since I am 55 now, I doubt it. I am not headed for surgery and will live with what is. My doc told me to wait at least a year and do some strength training.I am just happy to be fit and feel great.
  • DidIt4Me
    Options
    Seriously people?? Look at the username & join date. Troll.

Defiantly not a troll. I came to this site because a friend recommended me to come here.. And I had a question and was looking for answers, support and for some idea's if I could do something to make this go away. I don't know what is wrong with some people. Just because you don't have an issue don't mean other people are not dealing with it.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have lost a similar amount to you and I am no spring chicken. I do a lot of strength training, and I have noticed that the loose skin around my belly is starting to improve. I have been given conflicting information as to whether it can improve over time, but either way surgery is not the way forward for me.
  • shinjite
    Options
    First, I applaud your tremendous effort. It is obvious you have taken back control of yourself. Kudos!!
    What you show is most likely loose skin with fat still trapped in it. That is a main reason why skin does not just shrink back. Try cocoa butter lotion or a similar product that keeps your skin supple and with time, resistance training and some more fat loss you might have a resolution.
    I have a friend who lost over 200 lbs and had a similar situation. She had the tummy issue as well as saddlebags issue. She used the Zaggora Hot pants and the Delfin spa pants and they really helped her a lot. She combined it with monthly massages and more effective cardio and resistance training. It took her over 18 months from the time she reached her goal weight but now you cannot tell she lost so much weight. Can't say how effective they are from personal experience but they certainly worked for her. I know Zaggora is on Facebook. Maybe ask some folks there if anyone in a similar place as yours had success with it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Its both, keep at it
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

only a horrible person would laugh at this post. Oh how i wish i could be there to see karma catch up to you!

Looks like skin mostly to me maybe some fat. Lift heavy weights thats your best bet aside from surgery.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options
    Seriously people?? Look at the username & join date. Troll.

Defiantly not a troll. I came to this site because a friend recommended me to come here.. And I had a question and was looking for answers, support and for some idea's if I could do something to make this go away. I don't know what is wrong with some people. Just because you don't have an issue don't mean other people are not dealing with it.

That post was referring to the post of the nasty little *kitten* who posted the laughing face.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    In some cases, the moderators shouldn't wait for a third strike. This laughing hyena should be given a triple strike for gross insensitivity, and shown the door.

OP: I lost nearly 100 lb. in my 20's, and this was pretty much what my abdomen looked like. My genetics was not in my favor. A tummy tuck made all the difference. Message me if you want more of my story.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can reduce somewhat. I had a lot more what seemed to be loose skin, but when I lost more weight it did get better.
    How much weight have you lost. I went from 216 to 154.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. you will be amazed what it does for you - I have a few friends who have lost major amounts of weight and have gotten their loose skin under control - also give it time. your ticker on your profile says that you have 50 more pounds to lose - lose them and see what happens. I wouldnt jump on the surgery bandwagon just yet.

^ This exactly. I've seen women who lost more than 100 lbs tighten up really well with lifting.

Not all of us. Genetics is a biotch.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Both

Mine used to look like that and my skin tightened up, but when i do cardio i see that i still have loose skin.
  • trinity3205
    Options

^ This exactly. I've seen women who lost more than 100 lbs tighten up really well with lifting.

Ditto! Dont loose hope. It didnt get this way overnight and it wont go back overnight either. Keep on keeping on and DO lift heavy. Makes a difference as well as just giving it time. It may not ALL go away but I bet it improves ALOT over time and with more loss. Perfection isnt important.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Looks like a little of both to me. cardio mixed with some lifting should help with toning
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lots of fat left to lose. Lots. Ask again in 20-30 lbs. (Or more)