Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred--Beginners

Options

Replies

• Beconsistent
    Options
    Welcome aboard Periphria and all of the other newbies to this thread! I rushed home from work to get my work out in but after a few minutes of sitting on my comfortable sofa, I thought about skipping the shred today. Then I read this thread and knew what I had to do. L2D3 (13th day overall) is now complete! I can't say it enough, I am very thankful for this thread because on those days when I have a little bit of doubt I am reminded that there are a host of people doing exactly what I am doing (even if we are at different levels). I can't quit, it's just not in my nature. I did it and I know that you can too!

Thanks for giving me a glimpse at level 3 Mimi. I am confident that the best is yet to come!

Later!

Melissa
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Welcome aboard Periphria and all of the other newbies to this thread! I rushed home from work to get my work out in but after a few minutes of sitting on my comfortable sofa, I thought about skipping the shred today. Then I read this thread and knew what I had to do. L2D3 (13th day overall) is now complete! I can't say it enough, I am very thankful for this thread because on those days when I have a little bit of doubt I am reminded that there are a host of people doing exactly what I am doing (even if we are at different levels). I can't quit, it's just not in my nature. I did it and I know that you can too!

Thanks for giving me a glimpse at level 3 Mimi. I am confident that the best is yet to come!

Later!

Melissa

Melissa - you said it so well. I completely agree with you. It's when you read this thread and know that other people are pushing themselves through it and logging it that it inspires you to be accountable too.

This is the first time that I have ever realized that a huge part of being successful in getting healthy is to have a "buddy system" in place. Without this thread many of us would lose our enthusiasm and start to skip the workouts.

Thanks everyone for helping me to be more accountable.

Hope everyone keeps up the great work!

Debbie
  • kswietek
    Options
    wow, lots of greats posts to this thread, awesome. I am on level 3, love the cardio shadow boxing and amazingly enough, I am starting to enjoy the plank stuff especially because in level 3 she has you go down to your elbows. The walking push ups are amazing, I remember in the beginning, it was hard to even do a regulary push up.

I am still pretty much at Anita's level, don't know that I will ever get to Natalie's level, my knees are not doing too well with all the jumping, I have had to improvise alot of the jumping moves but I love all the strength circuts and the ab circuts.

Great job everyone!!!!
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    This is the first time that I have ever realized that a huge part of being successful in getting healthy is to have a "buddy system" in place. Without this thread many of us would lose our enthusiasm and start to skip the workouts.

Ditto! It makes such a huge difference.

I just finished Level 1, Day 4. A little easier every day, and I'm able to push myself more each day. Can't believe one day can make such a difference! I feel so proud of myself. Good job, everyone else too, for your shredding accomplishments!
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    I just started this and wow it kicked my butt!!! I'm sore!!! My husband said maybe I should use it every other day, but I'm really interested in seeing how it works if I use it every day!
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I rented this video at netflix, and started 30 minutes ago. I hope I'm not sore tomorrow at work :( But I'm also interested in the result like the rest of you guys.
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i bought this last year and am trying it now for the first time i have only done level 1 and those 20 min are hard and u get sweaty.. but even as i lay in bed sleeping i can feel my thigh tingling.. i really like it and i still need to take breaks...

didn't do it over the weekend and noticed how harder it was.. it's worth doing every day..

i also step for 30 min while catching up on my tv shows... that seems easy enough but again i sweat and hope it's doing something!!! ughhh hate this weight.. but i am really determined this time
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to all our newcomers! Keep at it and you WILL see results!:flowerforyou:

:happy: Will be doing L1D6 (2nd time) in a few minutes but I had to get my new weight recorded:

I lost 3 pounds from last week so I'm averaging 1.5 pounds a week!:drinker: That plus the inches going down make me very happy!:happy:

I'm actually starting to look forward to moving on as I am seeing results and can feel how much stronger I'm getting!
  • ange_mechant
    Options
    Ok,so I got up to day 5 (level1) and now I've been on hiatus for the last 2 days. And that's from everything--I have been eating like crap and not logging my calories or going to the gym OR doing the shred. Kinda feel like I suck at this point. So today I woke up to do the shred and spent 20 minutes with a lack of motivation because who really wants to die at 6:30 am?? So I decided to read everyone's posts for motivation. I am so proud of everyone on here and their progress--even the first timers who just got up the nerve to put the dvd in. LOL. So now I am definitely ready to do my shred--especially after reading all these posts about level 2 and 3, I might as well get my *kitten* up and finish level 1 over the next 5 days. The problem is that now my son is up and my daughter has to get ready for school, so I can't do it at the moment. However, at naptime today, it is on Jillian!! I'll post again after I get it done so you guys know I really did do it.

Oh yeah--did you ever get to level 2 Monda?? Hopefully those migraines eased up on you over the last few days, I haven't seen any recent activity on here though so...what"s up? Hope you're doing better than I've been and just been busy. :)
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So now I am definitely ready to do my shred--especially after reading all these posts about level 2 and 3, I might as well get my *kitten* up and finish level 1 over the next 5 days. The problem is that now my son is up and my daughter has to get ready for school, so I can't do it at the moment. However, at naptime today, it is on Jillian!! I'll post again after I get it done so you guys know I really did do it.

That says it all right there. This thread is SUCH a motivation!

I did nothing last night, with that said... Every since I starting working out right after Christmas, I have insomnia! Wouldn't it make more sense to be sleeping BETTER now? I don't work out late in the evening so that isn't it. I don't go to bed hungry, either. I'm baffled. It is an almost every night thing. I took a sleeping pill last night so I'm well-rested for today.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ok,so I got up to day 5 (level1) and now I've been on hiatus for the last 2 days. And that's from everything--I have been eating like crap and not logging my calories or going to the gym OR doing the shred. Kinda feel like I suck at this point. So today I woke up to do the shred and spent 20 minutes with a lack of motivation because who really wants to die at 6:30 am?? So I decided to read everyone's posts for motivation. I am so proud of everyone on here and their progress--even the first timers who just got up the nerve to put the dvd in. LOL. So now I am definitely ready to do my shred--especially after reading all these posts about level 2 and 3, I might as well get my *kitten* up and finish level 1 over the next 5 days. The problem is that now my son is up and my daughter has to get ready for school, so I can't do it at the moment. However, at naptime today, it is on Jillian!! I'll post again after I get it done so you guys know I really did do it.

Oh yeah--did you ever get to level 2 Monda?? Hopefully those migraines eased up on you over the last few days, I haven't seen any recent activity on here though so...what"s up? Hope you're doing better than I've been and just been busy. :)

Hey there, I have been feeling so much better. I did start Level 2 yesterday and it kicked my butt. I was so proud to be able to do it. It was challenging and very much worth the pain. LOL I have not been able to post the past couple of days. I have been so busy, but still doing the shred. My family is starting to notice the difference and boy oh boy does that make me feel good. I hope you keep going and complete Level 1. I will keep you posted and I will look for your posts. Keep up the good work!
  • Beconsistent
    Options
    L2D4 (Day 14 overall) Done! I actually enjoyed doing the walking push ups today. I couldn't believe it! I've got to give a shout out to Jillian. Eventhough she'll probably never read this thread, she is living proof that when you find what you are put on this earth to do and do it, so many people benefit from it.

Have a spectacular day!

Melissa
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    L2D4 (Day 14 overall) Done! I actually enjoyed doing the walking push ups today. I couldn't believe it! I've got to give a shout out to Jillian. Eventhough she'll probably never read this thread, she is living proof that when you find what you are put on this earth to do and do it, so many people benefit from it.

Have a spectacular day!

Melissa

Well said Melissa!

I just finished doing Level 2 Day 6. I have to say that this is the first time since starting her workout that I was feeling energized the whole time. I'm certainly not saying that her workouts are easy. Not by a long shot. I echo your shout out to Jillian. The girl knows her stuff.

Also, because of doing this shred dvd, I have lost 4" off of my belly since January 2nd.

Hopefully that is encouraging to all of the people who haven't started yet or are just beginning.

Do what Jillian says, "don't phone it in" and watch your calorie intake daily, you will see amazing results.

Good luck everyone!
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone!
    I just got this dvd in the mail yesterday and I'm anxious to start, but have a bunch of questions. I read through some of the posts...but not all of them!!
    For those of you that have been doing this. How long do you do level 1 before moving on to the next level? Do you do it every day? What has everyone's progress been with this--as far as weight loss AND inches? Are you just doing this workout or are you pairing it with other things? Plus, I do not have a HRM, yet, and I'm curious how many calories you burn doing this?
    Thanks for any and all who reply. Would love to hear some feedback!!!
    THANKS!!!!
    Darci:smile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone!
    I just got this dvd in the mail yesterday and I'm anxious to start, but have a bunch of questions. I read through some of the posts...but not all of them!!
    For those of you that have been doing this. How long do you do level 1 before moving on to the next level? Do you do it every day? What has everyone's progress been with this--as far as weight loss AND inches? Are you just doing this workout or are you pairing it with other things? Plus, I do not have a HRM, yet, and I'm curious how many calories you burn doing this?
    THANKS!!!!

:flowerforyou: Hi Darci, and Welcome!:flowerforyou:

You'll find that we are a pretty informal group.:smile: There are no hard and fast rules here. We are all going at our own pace. Some do the Shred every day and others (like me:happy: ) do it every other day (I do mainly cardio on the days in between). I am also repeating level 1 for the 2nd time because I did not feel ready to move on to L2 but I will be moving on after this rotation.

My weight loss has stayed steady at about 1 1/2 pounds a week but I have lost 4 inches off of my hips, about 3 off of my bust and about 1 1/2-2 off of my waist (I've never had much of a waist:grumble: ). (I started on Dec. 28.)

Just jump right in and you WILL see results! Lots of great motivation here, too!:happy:

Almost forgot--I log it as circuit training because I don't have a HRM either!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    PmjsMom- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! YOU GET IT GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Debbie- 4 inches of the tummy? :love: Whoooozers that's great!!!

I am going to pick mine up from Walmart today & will start on Monday th1st & cont. through March 2nd, then the 4th my baby turns 3yrs :blushing: & then I'm on a plane to St.Maarten for 2.5 weeks, which I will be taking INSANITY with me!!! I can't wait to report back with all of my stories & results!

Keep pushing Ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone!
    THANKS!!!!

Hey Darci! Welcome to the group! I think Kathy (pmjsmom) answered most of your questions, but I wanted to chime in too!

I do the Shred every day and I'm on Level 3. After today I will have completed day 23 overall. I did take 2 days off last weekend to give my body a bit of a rest and I felt better for it!

I've changed my eating habits and am watching my calorie intake and my weigh loss has been slow and steady. I think since starting the Shred this earlier this month I've lost about 3 lbs only. BUT, I have lost inches and I've gotten much stronger. I couldn't even do a "girls" push up on Level 1 and now in Level 3 they are quite "easy." Still working on the "real" push ups, but I'll get there!

I chose to do 10 days at each level, but some people do more or less. I think the idea is you do Level 1 until you think you are ready to move on and then you move up a level. I probably could have moved up to L2 after 8 days, and could have continued on Level 2 for a few more days, but I had this "plan" in my head and I'm sticking to it as much as possible!

I will tell you, the HARDEST part is starting the work out and the second hardest is doing day 2 or 3 when your muscles are sore and you're tired. But if you push through them, you'll feel better and more confident and energized! And pretty soon you'll feel like if you don't work out, you feel "off" some how.

Good luck and we're here doing it right beside you! Jillian says throughout the DVD, "No Shame" - don't worry if you can't do everything perfectly or if you're not following Natalie, I still follow Anita mostly - but do try to follow Natalie as much as I can the more I do! The important thing is you're doing what you can! If you stick with it, you will see results!
  • littlesuzieq
    Options
    I've had this video for 2 weeks and finally got up the courage to tear off the cellophane yesterday. I watched the level 1 and decided that today would be my start day.

I honestly thought it didn't LOOK bad but today totally smoked me!!! I can't wait to do day 2 and on. What a great workout in 20 minutes! I started with 5lb. weights (that's all I had) and I think I'll need to get the 3 lb. ones for the shoulder raises. Five wasn't bad for the flies and the bicep curls but I can really feel the strain from the shoulder raises. Whew!

Results, here I come!!!!

A side note, my 13 year old son wants to start working out with me in the morning... cool, huh? :bigsmile:
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi again!
    After I posted earlier today I decided to jump right in and being the shred. It was GREAT!! It was hard, but very motivating to be done in 20 minutes. I only have 3 lb. weights right now, so I'll use those for now. Most of the time I was following Anita, but I don't plan on doing that all of the time. The push-ups were the hardest for me. My goal is to try and do this every day, but we'll see how that goes. With working full-time and having 2 kids I'm not sure that's realistic, but I'm going to do my best.

Thanks Kathy and Pz5wjj for your replies and feedback....so appreciated!!!

LittleSuzieQ---That's so cool that your son wants to work out with you!!! That will make it so much more fun! I'm hoping my husband will start joining me once he sees how easy it is. We're both trying to adjust our eating habits, but I'm the only one who's really been exercising these last few weeks.

Good luck everyone! Have a great weekend!!!
  • ange_mechant
    Options
    Alright ladies, I'm back! So I am completely lame and didn't end up doing the shred yesterday because life happened. Today though, I put my baby down for a nap and did it then. I made my 8 year old do it with me because she's always laughing at how much it kills me--I totally smoked her. Lol. Anyway, today was day 6 for me, after 3 days off and it's way easier than when I started. During the first 5 days, I was noticing increased ability/endurance throughout the video every single day, which was amazing. Then I read a bunch of posts saying that after a couple days off these women had actually regressed and it was harder again. Thankfully, that didn't happen to me. It was nice because I was not in aching pain through the whole video and I did still have the endurance I had left with (which gives me hope that I won't have to do it everyday for the rest of my life). I think the only thing I noticed was that I hadn't gotten any better like I was when I was doing it daily. So there's always tomorrow for that. I was thoroughly impressed though, that I only stopped one time for a drink of water and to go to the bathroom (jumping jacks make me have to pee, LOL). Anyway, good luck ladies, hopefully I'll be back tomorrow.

Good job Monda for getting up to level 2 and congrats on the family praise!! That's awesome. Is anyone else posting before pics, btw? I have my 3 before pics on my profile because I want to post them at the end to see how it goes. Just curious.