Ladies, if you have a job interview do you wear pants

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I work in IT. Pants, comfortable shoes, nice shirt - nothing too 'formal' and definitely NO skirts.

The outfit you wear should take into consideration the position you are applying for and should be reflective of the type of clothing that you will be wearing to work daily if you are hired.
  • leeshac13
    leeshac13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always wear a skirt or pant suit.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It depends on your field and what is considered appropriate I would assume, but I usually wear a cute dress with heels or a skirt/cardigan combo with heels. I look professional, and I am wearing something that fits my personality. You wouldn't catch me in a pants suit outside of an interview, why would I wear one to it?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have a professional job, a suite with either pants or a skirt is acceptable. I prefer skirts, just because they tend to fit me better, but if I had a nice pants suite, I think that would be equally appropriate.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your field... I am an attorney and there are a lot of judges who frown upon wearing pants with a suit as opposed to a skirt. When I go to court I almost never wear pants for that reason. Same thing with job interviews for me. I would ask people in your field and also consider the reputation of the company - if it's business casual I'd say wear pants... if it's business formal you should wear a skirt. Go with a suit either way. Good luck on your interview!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Pants suit. Still do, because my new job requires that I wear either a suit or pants with jacket. Makes deciding what to wear very easy.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It depends on the position. I always wear pants (suit), but if I were interviewing for a receptionist, for example, I would wear a skirt or dress.

You need to find the dress culture of the organization and then dress one level above the position you are applying for.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think nothing looks as good as well-fitted black trouser pants, black pointy-toe pumps, and a classic crisp white shirt tucked in (duh). I accessorize with pops of color in a necklace or earrings.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I always wear a suit with a skirt, not pants.

Same here; ALWAYS!!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I've worn pants to every interview I've had... but of course that was for a movie theatre, sub shop, then retail.. so all of those jobs my uniform was black pants. =)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I work in IT. Pants, comfortable shoes, nice shirt - nothing too 'formal' and definitely NO skirts.

The outfit you wear should take into consideration the position you are applying for and should be reflective of the type of clothing that you will be wearing to work daily if you are hired.

Maybe it is because I work in academia, where most people dress down most of the time, but "up" as appropriate, but I would not expect to show up for an interview dressing the way I would for a normal day at the office. I have rarely seen a job candidate not show up in a suite (and then they were usually dressed pretty nicely, e.g. a suite skirt and a nice sweater), but I rarely see colleagues wearing a suite unless we're at a conference, making a presentation, meeting with a dean, etc.. Today I'm wearing a cotton knit dress. Tomorrow, when I teach, I'll be dressed more formally, next week, when I lead a workshop for working professionals I will be wearing a suite. I guess all that to say, different fields have different standards.
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Depends how formal of a setting you will be. For more formal, a skirt suit - for less a pant suit.

For example, someone above mentioned a law office or investment bank. I would also advocate wearing a suit with skirt to businesses such as these - or if you are interviewing in a field known for the nice touches in design for example, go for elegance in by wearing a skirt suit with beautiful blouse. Ask yourself - how do they present their brand? What does their web presence tell me? Is design/beauty/prestige/luxury important to them? If yes, go with a skirt suit.

Or does their web presence seem a bit fun and or informal? If interviewing at a more informal place (such as IT mentioned above) or a fun company like Zappos.com or Amazon or a restaurant management position at a chain, go for a more dressed down pant suit.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on the place you're applying. If you're just applying to like, a department store don't go too too business suit. Wear a nice pair of slacks and a blouse or polo, or even a nice skirt and blouse or polo. What someone else stated is also true, if you're applying for like a businessy place, I don't think they will worry as much about pants or skirt so long as it is professional and appropriate. But for law firms, banks, and places run by older ceo's, skirts are favored. Again, just be dressed appropriate and not flashy. Also, if you paint your nails, make sure they are professional looking! And something else I heard, if they give you a spiny type chair, resist ALL urges to spin or wobble in it.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would matter as long as you are professional. I wear pants because skirts are not functional in my line of work. My thought is to wear a skirt if you would be wearing a skirt to work, otherwise why not pants?
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a dress that comes to the knees with a blazer. But that's for interviews within banking.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Depends how formal of a setting you will be. For more formal, a skirt suit - for less a pant suit.

For example, someone above mentioned a law office or investment bank. I would also advocate wearing a suit with skirt to businesses such as these - or if you are interviewing in a field known for the nice touches in design for example, go for elegance in by wearing a skirt suit with beautiful blouse. Ask yourself - how do they present their brand? What does their web presence tell me? Is design/beauty/prestige/luxury important to them? If yes, go with a skirt suit.

Or does their web presence seem a bit fun and or informal? If interviewing at a more informal place (such as IT mentioned above) or a fun company like Zappos.com or Amazon or a restaurant management position at a chain, go for a more dressed down pant suit.

^ Exactly what I was trying to say but so much better worded!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I always wear a skirt suit to interviews. Suit color: blue or black. Minimal makeup and jewelry. Hair pulled back or in a bun. I was taught to always dress conservatively for interviews and I have always done that.
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options

You need to find the dress culture of the organization and then dress one level above the position you are applying for.

^^^^^ this is what I have always been told, and followed the advice and seems to have worked in my favour.

I work in IT and have always worn a skirt, with a blazer or a cute blouse (depending on the weather) and ALWAY sky high heels (but I also wear those to work almost everyday).
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    It depends on your field and what is considered appropriate I would assume, but I usually wear a cute dress with heels or a skirt/cardigan combo with heels. I look professional, and I am wearing something that fits my personality. You wouldn't catch me in a pants suit outside of an interview, why would I wear one to it?

^^This...i wear skirts to work every day because that's what I'm comfortable in....why would I wear pants to an interview when I won't wear them doing the job....

it's about finding that balance of what you are with presenting a business like image.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yes I always wear pants...but being in the UK is it frowned upon not to wear pants...especially if you're wearing a skirt too!! :noway:
    But then again I guess its one way to get a job :smile: :wink:

FYI pants=knickers, trousers=pants in the UK...