Why, thank you Bob Evan's....

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I get what you were going for with this post, and I agree. Yeah, it's the person's responsibility to eat healthy but it's still sad that restaurants like this have such an offer, even if it is what the people want.

Where I work, we have a traditional club that's our best selling sandwich. Last week, we came out with a new version of it, double the meat. It's selling like crazy. It's disgusting that we offer it, and more so that people order it. Easily a 1,500 calorie sandwich.

Not sure why everyone's calling you mean or a food snob. I eat badly a LOT, am by no means a 'snob' when it comes to food, and I still think unlimited fries are a terrible idea.

people have different goals and workout with different purposes.
    some people NEED a 1500 calorie sandwich to reach their goals for the day. So in situations like that, an all you can eat burger/fries combo is great.

Not everyone eats 1800 cals a day and tries to cut. most strength athletes eat well over 4000 calories in a given day. and that's being conservative.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day while training for the Olympics. A 1,500 calorie sandwich is a tiny snack for him.

Judging any food solely on its calorie count is ridiculously short sighted.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day while training for the Olympics. A 1,500 calorie sandwich is a tiny snack for him.

Judging any food solely on its calorie count is ridiculously short sighted.

I think they overplayed that a bit. But I can believe somewhere in the 6-8000 range.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I get what you were going for with this post, and I agree. Yeah, it's the person's responsibility to eat healthy but it's still sad that restaurants like this have such an offer, even if it is what the people want.

Where I work, we have a traditional club that's our best selling sandwich. Last week, we came out with a new version of it, double the meat. It's selling like crazy. It's disgusting that we offer it, and more so that people order it. Easily a 1,500 calorie sandwich.

Not sure why everyone's calling you mean or a food snob. I eat badly a LOT, am by no means a 'snob' when it comes to food, and I still think unlimited fries are a terrible idea.

people have different goals and workout with different purposes.
    some people NEED a 1500 calorie sandwich to reach their goals for the day. So in situations like that, an all you can eat burger/fries combo is great.

Not everyone eats 1800 cals a day and tries to cut. most strength athletes eat well over 4000 calories in a given day. and that's being conservative.

I easily would take in 4000 calories on a gameday.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Not only did I have health class in high school, but we also learned about healthy eating in elementary school as well. And I also had parents that taught me about eating healthy, making my own choices, how to choose smart things for myself, to care about my own general well-being, and to take responsibility for my own actions.

When I moved out of my parents house for the first time I ate a ton of Taco Bell and McDonald's. I also drank a lot of Capri Sun since it was always on sale and usually had plenty of chips and cookies in the house to munch on because they were tasty and cheap.

For awhile I worked at a specialty food store with a full kitchen where we offered up hot and cold foods, a full sandwich counter and catering. I ate a ton of fried foods there and plenty of other foods that weren't bad foods, I just ate a lot of them since they were readily available.

Was it my parents fault that I ate at fast food places and ate mostly junk food when I moved out? Nope, all mine because I was too lazy to cook and was always looking for the cheap and easy way out.
    Was it Taco Bell or McDonald's fault that I always ate there? Not at all, they were simply the two closest places with drive-thrus near my first apartments.
    Was it the grocery stores fault for having sales on unhealthy food items? No, I just chose to buy them because I thought they were delicious, but I knew that I wasn't eating like I should, I just liked eating the junk food because again, cheap and easy.
    Was it the fault of the chef at the store for making the food that I ate while I was at work? Not at all. There were also really nice, fresh salads available in store, a produce market directly across from the store, different sauce and bread options I could have made on the sandwiches, etc. I just chose to eat what I wanted instead of what was better for me.

But guess what, I also made the choice to lose the weight and make myself a better version of me. I downloaded the MFP app and set out to work on fixing all the wrongs I had done to myself. I don't blame a single person or company for the weight I gained other than myself. Because I never needed to eat those things. I wasn't ever forced to consume that food. I chose what I ate, every single time.

I don't expect companies to take the blame for the fat that packed onto my body over the years. Because for all of the companies out there making food that's bad for us, there are companies that are making good food. Every time I went to the store and bought chips and cookies, there were fruits and veggies just a few aisles down. Every time I chose the arancini and fried chicken fingers out of the case at work, there were spinach salads and grilled salmon right next to it. Each time I opted to stop at McDonald's or Taco Bell, I could have made my own food, chosen a salad or lighter option from their menu, or even just chosen to not order enough food to feed a small family. But I didn't, not until I joined MFP.

Those were MY choices. Me being fat was MY fault. I'm an adult, I am the one that made it happen. But I'm also the one that decided to make the change and stop doing those things. And that is what it ultimately comes down to.

If I could figure out how to do the clapping hands emoticon, I would so be clapping right now!

Excellent post about personal responsibility. I agree with all the previous posters who mentioned it, as it seems to be missing in most of our society. It's always someone else's fault that we did something we shouldn't have done. Companies have a responsibility to no one except their owners/shareholders to maximize profit. That's the point of being in business. It's not their job to make responsible decisions for the public, and, as other posters said, if people didn't want it, they wouldn't sell it. A favorite sandwich chain of mine stopped offering some of my favorite vegetable sandwich toppings because no one wanted to buy them. But they have 10 kinds of cheese to choose from.

People vote with their dollars, and their dollars vote for the junk. Is that the fault of the company? No, they are offering what people want. At some places, you can see your nutrition information posted right alongside your menu choices, and people will still choose the unhealthy stuff, even when the nutrition information is right in front of their eyes. Also, for a lot of people, eating out is a special treat. I plan my food for the day/week to allow me to indulge in stuff I wouldn't have at home. I don't want someone to tell me what I can/cannot eat, and I would stop frequenting a local restaurant if they stopped offering their texas cheese and bacon fries with house made ranch. So what if they are 1500 calories for the plate of them? I go there and eat about 1/2 to 2/3 for my dinner and move on with my life. Any person with half a brain has to know that fried + cheese + bacon + ranch is not a healthy choice.

Honestly, anyone who wants to champion personal freedoms needs to also learn about personal responsibility. If you don't want personal responsibility, then you can't say you want the freedoms to choose other things for yourself.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can understand that a lot of athletes have to take in more calories. It's just hard for me to grasp for someone like me getting endless refills or having 7 plates at a buffet since I am short and eat less than half of what you guys are saying. It just seems unhealthy, I do have my indulgences but I'd have trouble justifying that to fit MY macros.

I just wish people requested healthier foods at restaurants so we would have more options that are better for us.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can understand that a lot of athletes have to take in more calories. It's just hard for me to grasp for someone like me getting endless refills or having 7 plates at a buffet since I am short and eat less than half of what you guys are saying.
    So don't?
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's about person accountability. It's your choice what you order not Bob Evan'.

By the way, they are a "for profit" organization. Good for them!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Because if there's anything this country needs, it's endless, all-you-can-eat french fries with a massively unhealthy hamburger.

Congrats on a great contribution to this country's ridiculous obesity problem. Whoever came up with this one is a total genius. :noway:

Yes, it's gluttonous. Yes, it's unhealthy. They also offer a bunch of things that aren't burgers and endless fries, so are they really to blame?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?

I wish there were mandatory high school classes, personal finance, nutrition and exercise, and a general career guidance (reviews how to write resumes, interview, general work etiquete)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I can understand that a lot of athletes have to take in more calories. It's just hard for me to grasp for someone like me getting endless refills or having 7 plates at a buffet since I am short and eat less than half of what you guys are saying.
    So don't?

Exactly.

Endless buffet could be 2-10 plates. Up to you how many you get.
    I have a very high TDEE. I can fit a 1500 cal burger in my macros some days.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?

I wish there were mandatory high school classes, personal finance, nutrition and exercise, and a general career guidance (reviews how to write resumes, interview, general work etiquete)

There was at my high school!

Consumer survival skills
    health
    Workplace readiness

Not so much on actual nutrition though, would have liked more of that
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Red Robin's is that if you ask the waiter, you can usually get the garlic fries as your unlimited fries instead of just the plain ones like it says on the menu. Delicious!

Good to know!!
  • I shake my head at restaurants offering ridiculously caloric/fatty foods. I agree that it has really gotten out of hand.

HOWEVER: nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head and saying, "Hork down these fries or you're gonna get it!" People need to be educated about what they are eating, and have the wherewithall to make healthier choices. Restaurants are free to make and serve whatever they want, and WE as consumers are just as free to NOT eat it.

I agree with this ENTIRELY. Our country needs Education on this subject. It struck home watching Jaimie Olivers Food Revolution where he asks the kids "Where does ____ come from" and they couldn't tell you. Simple things like, Cheese originates from milk which comes from a cow"....
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. No one is at fault for obesity other than the obese person. I made a pretty cool quote that sums it up.

"saying food makes you fat is like saying guns kill people. Both harmless until placed in the wrong hands."
  • slkehl
    Options

There was at my high school!

Consumer survival skills
    health
    Workplace readiness

Not so much on actual nutrition though, would have liked more of that

That's so awesome! We had health, but it was mostly on infectious diseases, CPR, and sex ed. No personal finance or workplace readiness classes at all. I could have really used that!
  • relucas81
    Options
    Sometimes I like to eat way too much food, and when I do, I like it to be hideously unhealthy, loaded with transfats, and fried in butter. I appreciate any restaurant who offers me this when I want it :)
  • slkehl
    Options
    The OP is talking about social responsibility that corporations should have to some extent; this goes beyond harmful, fattening food, and it includes things like the environment (i.e. pollution) and socioeconomic (i.e. child labor) concerns. Health of consumers should be considered by corporations as a duty of social responsibility; for example consider tobacco, alcohol, and fast food chains. Sure, no one forces you to chain smoke and down a pound of french fries, but companies should assume some part of the responsibility in their offerings.

No one (person, corporation, or government) should have to take responsibility for the actions of adults.

Yeah? :huh:

A number of places have. The use of trans fats has gone way down, and many places are now frying their potatoes in healthier fats. And McDs switched from mystery meat nuggets to all white meat. I'd say there's some sense of responsibility. But junk food is junk food, and sometimes we just want a juicy burger and aren't concerned about the cals!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

THIS!!! ^^ Our school (high school, more specifically) has a new p.e. teacher, and apparently having been overweight, he is trying to stress the importance of diet and exercise vs. bad choices, no exercise. While I know my son doesn't have this issue since he is in football, I know the problem does exist for some people. Some choose to sit in front of a computer or t.v. rather than be active. Has anyone seen the commercial with the boy staying with his grandma? He uses everything remote, even picks up his cell phone to call his grandma (who is in the same house) to ask for a grape soda. I'm afraid that is where we are heading if we don't encourage our kids to get active and make better choices.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I shake my head at restaurants offering ridiculously caloric/fatty foods. I agree that it has really gotten out of hand.

HOWEVER: nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head and saying, "Hork down these fries or you're gonna get it!" People need to be educated about what they are eating, and have the wherewithall to make healthier choices. Restaurants are free to make and serve whatever they want, and WE as consumers are just as free to NOT eat it.

^ I agree, people nowadays, more than ever need to be educated early on. IDK if it will make a difference but it's a start in the right direction. :wink: