I just want to give up.

Options

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    take baby steps just try to get off 5 lbs at a time for every 5 lbs reward yourself with something like a new pair of earrings or a pedicure.
    When you go out to eat look up the nutritional info at the restaurant before you go when you are not starving. When you get there stick with your decision dont look at the menu
    Start an exercise class or challenge some friends to do a workout video. I was having trouble motivating myself to workout so I challenged 2 of my daughters to do the 30 day shred with me. We just started last weds but so far I have done it everyday. We text each other every morning and ask have you done the 30 day shred yet? It really helps to keep us motivated
    Dont give up, just do it. You know what you have to do if you want results. Make yourself exercise even if it is only 10 mins a day
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel! I knew I was gaining weight for a long time, but could never find the motivation to eat healthy or exercise consistently. Then one day I realized this:

Eating healthy all the time and exercising can suck. It's hard. But you know what's even harder? Feeling fat all the time. Going through your closet and realizing you hate the way you look in every single thing. Looking around at all your friends and thinking, "Wow, they are all really skinny." Getting winded from walking up the stairs to your apartment. Going through every day with this little voice in the back of your mind going, "I really should be doing something about my weight..." Knowing that you're setting yourself up for illness and health problems down the road y ignoring the problem. In my experience, those things were all 1000 times harder than just eating healthy and exercising.

And you know what? It turns out that eating healthy and exercising really doesn't suck at all... you just gotta get started :) YOU CAN DO THIS! What about committing to just two weeks of super healthy eating and exercising 5 days a week? Then you can go from there! :)
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've a suggestion: Maybe consider revising your "goals". Instead of focusing on "getting skinny" consider other benefits that are definitely more beneficial and worthy of your effort. Granted a mission on getting skinny may work if you are shallow and vain to begin with (not trying to piss anyone who is off)...but a more worthy mission may get and keep your heart and mind in the fight. For me the need for change inspired my desire to lose the weight and get healthy. I wanted more for myself and I didn't want to be a "hypocrite." There's more than enough of them around. I felt the need to live the principals I'm adopting not just be a hearer, but a doer. That's my inner drive (not to say it would work for anyone else, but it's definitely working for me).

Just start there...then follow a few other sensible and reasonable suggestions offered by the others replying to your post (gradually, taking it one step/habit at a time). If you do, you'll likely begin to see a drastic change in more areas of your life than just the scale moving in your favor.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    do you have a workout partner...that may help...also since it comes from within do you have a photo of you at your heaviest...keep it with you and look at it just when you have that feeling of not wanting to workout...a schedule also helps...a visual one posted so you can refer to it...also..do different things....personally thats what has kept me going for this long because I vary my exercises frequently
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just think about what will happen if you give up. If you stop logging your food and exercising you are likely to continue watching the scale move up. I can't speak for men but our metabolism slows down as we grow older. Giving up WILL NOT make things better.

Also, it sounds like you really haven't been putting your heart into this. Forgive me for paraphrasing here, you said you've been logging consistently for only 70 days-that's only 2 months and the you've been mostly consistent in logging everything. And, you seem to indicate that you have stopped exercising. At the risk of sounding too harsh, it sounds like you just might be getting results consistent with the effort you are putting forth.
  • jrwatson87
    Options
    It took me too long to realize this in my own case but if you are going to be serious about losing weight, you have to take care of your mental health first. You have to have the right frame of mind for this because it is changing your whole relationship with food, your body, the influences that surround you, family, everything. Is there something that is depressing you or holding you back from taking charge of the situation? The I can't's have to go!! You CAN do this
  • pelitwin
    pelitwin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Food diaries do work. However, this is what I think you need to do to make them work:
    1. Use them all day long, not just historically.
    2. Use the smart phone app.
    3. Really work on reducing processed foods and moving to whole foods, esp. fruits and veggies.
    4. Exercise regularly, however, except when you are doing a lot of exercise, don't eat the additional calories that MyFitnessPal gives you.
    5. Make your own meals. This is important since you have little control over restaurant meals.
    6. Portion your snacks. Measure everything.
    7. As long as you can fit in the calories, it's okay with the following exceptions: candy, junk food, soda (diet and non-diet). These should never be consumed.
    8. Much of what we call hunger is habit. Yes, habit. You need to relearn food habits.

I think that's it. And work on patience. Good luck!
  • alphafmlwolf
    alphafmlwolf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you need a reason...what is your reason to get skinny? is it to get fit and healthy? it is hard to focus if you don't have a goal. my goals are to be able to chase my 5 turning 6 year old around the backyard and down the street and across the park :) it is also so i can run again, at a certain weight i cannot run because of bad joints. what is your goal, you need to think about it and it is a lifestyle change and not just a diet.
  • TeamOC
    TeamOC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "If you quit, you learn to quit and quitting becomes a habit".
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    simplest answer is just do it
  • SelfSabotage
    SelfSabotage Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that sometimes to. I put motivational quotes on my fridge and have been saying the mantra to myself. But the only thing I can say is three weeks ago after all the yo you crap myself I kept talking to myself saying get up and get motivated. I was even looking for ways to motivate myself as well. The best advice I got was stop looking for motivation and look for inspiration. What will inspire you to change your life habits. mine was a quote of " IF YOU CAN'T FIND TIME TO EAT HEALTHY AND EXERCISE, YOU'LL NEED TO FIND TIME FOR ILLNESS" So I have it plastered on my fridge...... Along with a few others, to keep me focused.
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    I make it into a game for myself. It keeps me focused and set on my goal if I track my food the day before, right before I go to bed I'll track what I'm eating the next day. I guarantee it will keep you on track if you do this. That way all you have to do the next day is follow the plan! no searching,no scanning. Try it out and I bet you'll find it easier to stay motivated! we've all been at the point of wanting to give up.
  • Tori1205
    Tori1205 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Keep accurate diary entries. Don't eat anything at night, say after 5 or 6 if you can. MFG said my daily calorie goal was 1600 - I dropped it down to 1400 myself. The more success I have the more motivated and encouraged I am. I don't even exercise every day. During the summer I was swimming quite a bit and logged that but I don't have a regular routine. AND....if you earn extra calories through any exercise, I suggest not eating them. That will help the weight come off a little quicker. You just have to be committed and determined....you can do it. You have to make yourself do it. It will work.
  • amyjo222
    Options
    you cannot keep going::happy:
  • kwajrunner
    kwajrunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If that is a current picture of you then I think you look great. We each have our own image of how we want to look though, so if you aren't there yet then don't give up! Once I hit my late 30s I did notice that it is much easier to put on weight than it was earlier in life and it's even tougher to take it off. Oh yeah, and exercise hurts more. DON'T GIVE UP!! Print out a picture of Mexico and just tell yourself you are going to give every spare second of the next 64 days to healthy eating and exercise. Put those pictures all over the house and in the car if you have to! You can do anything for 64 days...commit yourself and do it! Once you see results you will be motivated to go for more.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You either WANT it or DON'T WANT it.

If you WANT it, go for it.

You will need to work hard. You didn't get fat ovenight, you are not gonna get skinny overnight. Take it nice and slow. One pound at a time.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This weekend was the hardest one that I've had in a long time. I had to put one of my beloved pets to sleep. All I wanted to do was eat. I wound up using an old A A trick. I set a timer for sometimes as few as 5 min. I got through it without eating trough my sadness. Try the timer.

I knoq how hard it is to put a pet down. I had a cat of 17 yrs that killed me. I also have a dog that is 14 that I am not looking forward to. I know how you feel. I admire that you didn't turn to food. I don't know if I could of have that restraint.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has been great and I thank you all. Thanks for all the friend requests and the support. Today I worked really hard. I read everything everyone had said. I got up early at 5am and out the door running at 5:30. I also made my hubby take me and my doggie for 1/2 walk. It is great that I actually have over 500 calories not used up. I hope that feeling this good will go into tomorrow. I can't explain how each and everyone of you have helped me out. So thanks everyone. You have helped at ton.
  • Think of someone or something that is going to be so awesome once you shed off a few pounds. Will you get to fit into your favorite pair of jeans, or impress your man, or be able to rock that bikni on the beaches of Mexico and no lie when I feel like I have no motivation I go exercise because the only thing that makes you have those happy endorphins like sex and chocolate is exercise (sometimes calling a joggers high). Wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey hun. :)
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been on and off MFP for over a year now. I have logged in everyday for almost 70 days. I have for the most part tracked my foods for the last 2 weeks. But I just can't do this. I don't know how people are losing weight. I don't know how to motivate myself to eat healthy or exercise. I use to be 114lbs and was able to eat what ever I wanted to 2 1/2 years ago. Now I am climbing to 160. I have a Mexico trip coming up in 64 days and I turn 40 in 4 months. I want to get skinny again. I need some help. I love reading things from all my friends on here so more friends the better. But any suggesstions to help me get out of this funk?

You said in your profile you used to be a runner and that's how you lost weight. Sounds to me like you know what you need to do and what works for you. The only thing stopping you is YOU. Get your runners laced up and get moving. And, be mindful of the 8 inches that's between your plate and your mouth. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. Eat healthy, eat clean, drink lots of water and get moving. You CAN do this. I've seen people with one leg, no legs, no arms be physically fit. You better come up with a better excuse than " I can't do this".