Forced flu shot at work

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't feel they should force it, but working in a hospital? Why would you NOT get it? Especially if it's free? I've never had a flu shot before, my mom had a bad reaction to one that I remember and it freaked me out. Still getting one this year though.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare as well. Don't work with sick patients but I do understand why they would require it of you because of the risk of you being a carrier and passing onto patients who may already have compromised immune systems. I get the flu shot every year and don't have complications - always looked at it as being better than the alternative.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Violated.

Flu shots should NOT be mandatory. No vaccines should be mandatory.

There are a LOT of misconceptions about the flu shot.

It will not STOP you from getting the flu. At the most it will lessen any symptoms if you DO get the flu. What's the point of that? Why should that be mandatory?

and seat belts and air bags don't guarantee I'll survive a car crash either......
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its a flu shot, not small pox vaccine. Suck it up and get it.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Nope. I would check out the laws in place and print a copy and put it on my managers desk.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    no way would i get the shot. i would contact and attorney to see if they can get away with it. or i would get a dr note.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I too work at a hospital and refuse to have the flu vaccine. It's always made me very sick in the past, and it doesn't cover every type of flu virus.

Sounds like a HR complaint to me...
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you're sick, do you always stay home from work? Hospitals are filled with germs. I have a special needs daughter, and everyone in my family gets a flu shot every year to protect her. We avoid the hospital because it seems like every time she goes for an appointment of any kind, she gets sick. So, although I think firing is a bit severe, I think it's very self centered for someone who works in a hospital not to make themselves as healthy as they can be, both for themselves and for everyone who has to visit the hospital each day. Maybe a bit harsh, but you asked what we thought.
  • budercup
    budercup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have an allergy to eggs?? Contraindicated if your allergic to eggs..:)
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

What do you do at the hospital? Flu shots were required just to attend nursing school so you must not be a nurse or doctor
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Washing hands and wearing jewellery does not present unknown substances into my body. You're not even on the same wavelength with your argument.

Never had the flu shot in my life. Had the flu twice...lasted 2 days both times. Third day I wasn't 100% but back at work. I'll take that vs sticking guesswork in my body.

how did you know it was the flu? The flu, the REAL flu, is absolutely debilitating. it's like being hit by a truck.

I got H1N1 in 2010. I was one of the first cases in my city. it was horrible. I was competely unable to go to work for two weeks. I was working at a military base and was banned from the premises. Then for six weeks following, I had postviral fatigue syndrome. I had to go to work (INSANE boss). Every day at work I was falling asleep at my desk, but couldn't do anything. I tried to write my reports, on deadline, and couldn't do it. eventually this led to my being fired. then the lawsuits started. in case you didn't know, having the flu does not stand up in court.

it can be a very serious illness. And I'm not even immunocompromised! I am rarely sick. I eat healthy, work out, and practice good hygiene. I'm not supposed to get sick, but I did, and it was terrible.

Don't brush off flu, it's not funny. if it doesn't affect you that much, congratulations!!! but you can pass it to someone who takes it much harder.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @ncthomas09. You had the choice whether to take the job or not BEFORE you had the shots. The OP has already got the job and is now being required to violate her person in order to keep the job. It's out and out illegal.

I know I had the choice before I took it and guess what I took it anyway. When I got the job I asked about the flu shot and they said it would be required this year. And guess what I still took it. It's not a violation and like she said she could get out of it with a DR. note or whatever. But honestly it's not that a big a deal....its a friggin flu shot for crying out loud!!! Just take it and deal!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D prevents the flu. Also olive leaf extract is an anti-viral AND and anti-bacterial herb.

Here's a VERY informative article written by one of the rare MDs who do not tow the pharmaceutical line:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html

Discusses financial reasons for pushing vaccines, cites STUDIES (I know you MFP cynics love STUDIES), lack of evidence for prevention, and thimerasol (mercury) concerns, (you know MERCURY -- the POISON that is labeled BIOHAZARD with skull and crossbones / red bag? You really want that injected into you???).

And BTW, ya, I have "one of those kids" whose health was severely compromised after receiving the "recommended" vaccine series as an infant/toddler. There's a reason they give you consent forms to sign -- and those consent forms tell you what COULD happen from the vaccines. so ya, sometimes those bad things DO happen.

EDIT: a quote from the article:

Two-thirds of the vaccines made for the 2008—09 flu season, 100 million of them, contain full-dose thimerosal, an organomercury compound, which is 49% mercury by weight. (An unidentified number of the other 50 million vaccines contain either "no" or "trace" amounts of thimerosal.) It is used to disinfect the vaccine. Each one of these 100 million flu shots contain 25 micrograms of mercury, a mercury content that is 50,000 part per billion, 250 times more than the Environmental Protection Agency's safety limit. Mercury is a neurotoxin, which has a toxicity level 1,000 times that of lead.

Ya, let's inject that into our veins.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also work in a hospital, the pharmacy to be exact. In the last 2-5 years vaccine requirements for hospital employees have become more stringent. Last year at my facility they did not make the shot mandatory, but they did provide special stickers for ID badges for those who got the shot and required those without stickers to wear a mask for the entire flu season. In fact, the hospitals in my metropolitan area made a public health agreement that they would all abide by this policy or one more strict. As the hospital provides the vaccine, I have no issue with it. If they didn't vaccinate me, I'd get the vaccine on my own.

Reasons to vaccinate:

1. Protect yourself from illness. The hospital, by requiring vaccination, helps to limit the lost shifts due illness. You don't lose paid hours and the money spent treating your symptoms.
    2. Protect your family/friends/roommates from illness. You get exposed to a variety of nasties in a hospital environment. If you aren't immunized and/or have a slip in healthcare hygiene, you could take something home to your family. Don't make it easier for this to happen.
    3. Protect the patients. Caregivers and support staff who are not immunized run the risk of carrying a disease into the workplace and spreading it not only to co-workers, but also the patients, particularly the at-risk elderly, infant and young children, immunocompromised, etc. If a hospital has policies that do not protect patients from this sort of exposure risk they are liable for lawsuits or to lose their accreditation. If they lose accreditation they will shortly be out of business as insurance companies will make them out-of-network. Not to mention that Medicare/Medicaid will refuse them reimbursement if they are racking up extra hospitalization days due to hospital acquired infections. Look into hospital outbreaks of pertussis in nurseries as an example of how this can happen. And not just weakened people are at risk. The so-called swine flu had many severe cases in otherwise disgustingly healthy teenagers and young adults.
    4. Protect the community. Diseases like influenza, polio, measles, smallpox, and rubella used to spread rapidly and at times run to epidemic proportions. We don't see much of that in the US anymore thanks greatly to large scale vaccination programs.

Think of vaccination as part of your protective gear. Many occupations require personnel to wear/use appropriate protective gear and will not accept workers who refuse these precautions. They simply cannot accept the inherent liabilities. Workers who are not willing to follow such safety rules may find themselves unemployable. For yourself, weigh the pros and cons of refusing vaccination, but understand that you will increasingly find that limited healthcare employment options will stack up on the con side of that equation.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

I get sick every year, usually 2-3xs a year and it typically ends up with an URI and a Z-pack. Oh the flu shot? Sure, lets try it!
    I was down for THREE WEEKS.

However, you work at a hospital and they want their staff to try every avenue possible to stay healthy through the flu season so I can see their point of view.
    I would say, if you have an adverse reaction and must stay home sick, it shouldn't cost you and the your employer should comp you the time you have to stay home. I could never be a nurse, I get sick too easily!
  • GrammyJohns
    GrammyJohns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would get a note from my doctor saying that he doesn't think it's a good idea for me to have it due to X.

I figure if everyone else is getting the shot then I don't need it do I??? :tongue:
  • lillypadstudio
    lillypadstudio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    infowars.com
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I don't even see the point in flu shots. I get them and I get sick. Yes, I know thats whats supposed to happen, but then I get sick again.

Whats the point of getting a flu shot if I just keep getting the flu?
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    A huge part of me says "BUT IT'S YOUR CHOICE!!!!" But, at the same time, if you work in hospital... You're dealing with already sick people, and don't want to pass anything along to them -- you're also exposed to it much more than most people, and hospitals are (usually) under-staffed as it is.

In MY workplace, I'd be pretty pissed. In yours, I can understand the reasoning.

^This.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely refuse. Contains thimerosol.

Actually, most current formulations of the influenza vaccine do not contain thimerosol.