Forced flu shot at work

Options

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Flu shots will NOT prevent you from getting sick. However, every time you get one, you reduce the risk of getting killed by the virus. The first time you get it, you decrease the risk of death by 50%. Each shot after that, the percent increases.

My opinion?

Get the damn shot.

Not trolling, but I would like a citation for these figures. Out of curiosity. It relates to work I've done in the past with a virologist colleague at Cambridge.

And for me...I personally don't believe in the flu shot. Methods have gotten better year to year, and maybe we're at a point where we are no longer vaccinating against *last* year's threats. But unless I have a compromised immune system, I won't get the shot.

Unless I was in health care, dealing with patients. I'd get the shot in OP's case.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    This one time my employer tried to make me take a free car...and I was like hell no. J/K. Wish I could get a free Flu Shot instead of shelling out $25. Let me tell you, the sick you get from the shot is way less worrisome than the sick you get from the flu. Personal experience.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I would fight it. Violation of your human rights. Plus I am a believer that flu shots contribute to these super flu's that keep killing people. (along with people taking only half of their prescriptions)

This is not how immunity works, at all. flu shots have NO effect on making super-flu bugs. You're mixing it up with overuse of antibiotics and antiviral drugs.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    So, the forced flu shot thing is going to be Federally mandated by the CDC starting next year! Medicaid and Medicare are jumping on board and will actually withhold payment up to 2% if a certain percentage of hosptial employees have not had the flu shot by 12/31.
    2% is a lot of money for any hospital, especially from Medicare which is typically the highest payor for any institution.

Just FYI.....

Yes and more diseases and bugs are spread in the hospital than anywhere else so the hospital staff especially should be vaccinated. The worst place in the world to get sick is in the hospital. They carry the super bugs.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The flu shot doesn't mean you are magically immune either and sometimes the side effects/reactions from the shot can seriously hurt you and even kill you.

Roll the dice with a vaccination? I think not!

I'll take my chances with what I was given naturally to fend off the flu...my immune system.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    The flu shot doesn't mean you are magically immune either and sometimes the side effects/reactions from the shot can seriously hurt you and even kill you.

I'll take my chances with what I was given naturally to fend off the flu...my immune system.

Magically immune, no. Actually immune to three influenza strains, yes! I will take that over 0% immune any year. I 've had the flu and it was DEBILITATING. Side effects of the shot are rare, and I'd rather take my chances with that, than get the flu again.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options
    Flu shots will NOT prevent you from getting sick. However, every time you get one, you reduce the risk of getting killed by the virus. The first time you get it, you decrease the risk of death by 50%. Each shot after that, the percent increases.

My opinion?

Get the damn shot.

Not trolling, but I would like a citation for these figures. Out of curiosity. It relates to work I've done in the past with a virologist colleague at Cambridge.

And for me...I personally don't believe in the flu shot. Methods have gotten better year to year, and maybe we're at a point where we are no longer vaccinating against *last* year's threats. But unless I have a compromised immune system, I won't get the shot.

Unless I was in health care, dealing with patients. I'd get the shot in OP's case.

The first posted above is WRONG! The flu shot prevents you from getting that strain of the flu bug that the shot is aimed at. You can get other flu strains but the shot itself is the flu bug that the CDC predicts will be the "BIG" one for that year.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I worked in a doctors office and had to get one. I told her they always make me sick - I missed 3 weeks of work and she never made me get another one.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Being in the military, the flu shot is required for all active duty to maintain our readiness. The only choice we have is flu mist or flu shot (live vs. inactive virus). It's free so I'm not complaining, especially since I've never gotten sick with it <knock on wood>. :wink:
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    hmmm...my hospital is also requiring.
    seems reasonable since it is beneficial to patient care, and they pay me.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

My opinion?

Get the damn shot.

The first posted above is WRONG! The flu shot prevents you from getting that strain of the flu bug that the shot is aimed at. You can get other flu strains but the shot itself is the flu bug that the CDC predicts will be the "BIG" one for that year.

(thank you)
    :flowerforyou:
  • agentscully514
    Options

The shot actually prevents three different flu strains.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    A huge part of me says "BUT IT'S YOUR CHOICE!!!!" But, at the same time, if you work in hospital... You're dealing with already sick people, and don't want to pass anything along to them -- you're also exposed to it much more than most people, and hospitals are (usually) under-staffed as it is.

In MY workplace, I'd be pretty pissed. In yours, I can understand the reasoning.

^^This
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You have the right to refuse.
    They have the right to fire you

You have to decide what is more important to you
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nope. I very much do not believe in them and would absolutely refuse, I would not use religious reasons, when they fired me, I'd sue their god damn *kitten* off their freaking faces. (obviously, I feel very strongly about ths).

Agreed. I have not had the flu since 2004 and I work with super germ-filled college students (dental students to be precise). I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing--it's working well to keep me healthy and my immune system strong. When I travel a lot for work I get plenty of sleep and exercise. I try not to shake hands with every new person I meet (very tough at events). I eat ginger and green tea. I don't use antibiotic soap--just regular soap. :)
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I actually have a reaction from it that makes me throw up for like 3 days....so I always say about how I get a reaction from it from it. If they want me out for 3 days because of throwing up, then have at it.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    Options

NOT at all true! The flu shot will prevent you from getting the strain of the flu that the particular shot was intended for. The CDC every year tries to predict which strain of the flu will be big that year and that is the strain the shot is made for. Now they are making it so that the flu shot targets 3 different strains where as before it was just one. I"m currently in the study and got vaccinated for 3 strains. It was a sub cutaneous vaccination. My daughter who is now an adult is in the same study. For me getting the flu means I may loose my vision, may not be able to walk again, can become paralyzed etc thanks to having MS. I would NEVER advise anyone against getting the flu shot.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The problem is, the flu shots MAKE me sick!! And I mean, REALLY sick as in 100+ fever and bad coughing to the point of pulled muscles in my stomach. I had the shot twice and both times I got horribly sick. Either I caught a virus that the shot obviously didn't cover, or something in my body just rejects it. So, on that grounds, I would say no. But, I realize I would most likely need a Dr. note to confirm that.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I actually have a reaction from it that makes me throw up for like 3 days....so I always say about how I get a reaction from it from it. If they want me out for 3 days because of throwing up, then have at it.

Wow, sorry about that. Sounds awful. But still better than the flu.
  • angraham2
    Options
    In my work place it is optional, and the office pays for it. I decline because I am alergic to something in the shot. I get violently ill if I get the flue or pneumonia shot. I can see in a hospital how it could be made manditory. so I guess i am fairly neutral