People who tell you to stop losing weight...

Options
I have had more than a few people ask when I am going to stop my weight loss, implying that I should not try to keep going. Started off at ~275 lbs, lost 50 lbs on OPTIFAST and have since lost 15 more. My personal goal is to get down to about 190 lbs. However, some of my co-workers and friends say that is too much and I should stop now. I am only 5'11", so am just now "overweight" on the BMI scale.

Anyone else have this issue? What do you say or how do you respond? Should I just "smile and nod"?

Replies

• michaeltoye
    Options
    i'm 5'10" and 142 lbs and very happy and healthy where i am.

stop when you feel you want to stop!
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have had more than a few people ask when I am going to stop my weight loss, implying that I should not try to keep going.
    However, some of my co-workers and friends say that is too much and I should stop now.

Anyone else have this issue? What do you say or how do you respond? Should I just "smile and nod"?

I get this a lot as well and I haven't figured out a "snappy" response yet (and I'm gifted in that arena, lol). But seriously, I normally say thank you (offering both a smile and a nod) cuz in all honestly when I hear: "You don't need to lose any more weight" my mind translates it to mean: "You look good. Congrats on your losses."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I was in charge of my body."

"Thank you, but I'll make my own decision."

.......something along that line. It may sound a little rude, but they are rude to stick their nose in your business. It will shut them up, after they say some other annoying thing. People really need to mind their own business. Or face the consequences.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What the hell is wrong with people!

I get this, too, in another form. I am 5-6, and I started out at 165 lbs. Well over weight- I have a small frame. But I am also a curvy woman and I can dress cleverly, so whenever a person hears my weight, then looks at me, they are surprised, some even shocked- because somehow I am still a size 12, and I 'carry my weight well'. They then tell me I don't need to loose weight b/c I 'look fine' and 'you can't even tell you weigh that much'.

I think I don't find support, Mostly b/c my weight loss hampers their life in some way, by me not being able to attend family meals b/c it consists of fried meat and buttered things, or my polite refusal of some heavily frosted dessert. People are conatantly trying to subvert my efforts.

First of all, my weight loss is my personal choice to be healthier. It is no ones business but my own. And I plan to loose as much as I want. When I weighed 135, I was a size 8. That is my goal. And I know full well that my family will tell me it is too thin, blah blah blah.

When you encounter someone like this, look them straight in the eye, and stare at them for ten straight seconds without saying a word.Then completely change the subject, as if their comment never happened.
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight and I have discovered that people seem to be comfortable with me being the fat girl. I think sometimes people just have a hard time accepting your success because of their own insecurities and that is their problem. I have realized I am not the fat ugly girl to make my friends feel better about themselves and I am no longer anyone's door mat. I still talk to those old frineds but I now know that I will not let them keep me down so they can lift themselves up.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight and I have discovered that people seem to be comfortable with me being the fat girl. I think sometimes people just have a hard time accepting your success because of their own insecurities and that is their problem. I have realized I am not the fat ugly girl to make my friends feel better about themselves and I am no longer anyone's door mat. I still talk to those old frineds but I now know that I will not let them keep me down so they can lift themselves up.

exactly. when people see you loosing weight, it makes them look at the fact they need to loose weight, stop smoking, better themselves in some much needed way. Seeing you suceed makes them feel bad b/c they are not suceeding or even trying. It would be easier for them if you just stayed fat, so they could stay __________. And no one would ever have to change!
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The worst. I get so angry when people are like "You're trying to lose weight?! You don't need to, you look great!" well sorry but my doctor and my knees and my lungs are all telling me I actually do need to lose weight, and I'm not doing it for YOU anyway, so back off!!

This makes me a little angry, can you tell? :P
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info. I don't think anyone means to be negative. I generally just point out that I am still overweight in the eyes of my doctor. I don't want to offend anyone, but also want them to know that I plan to continue to get healthier.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A guy I know has a saying, " There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Some want to blow other people's candles out and some want to make other people's candles brighter."
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot as well and I haven't figured out a "snappy" response yet (and I'm gifted in that arena, lol). But seriously, I normally say thank you (offering both a smile and a nod) cuz in all honestly when I hear: "You don't need to lose any more weight" my mind translates it to mean: "You look good. Congrats on your losses."
    Edited by nikegyrl79 on Tue 09/11/12 08:19 AM

True! They are saying I look good, but that really isn't what it is about for me. I want to be as healthy as I can. But, I can start thinking of it as a compliment...thanks!
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I literally tell people to shut up now, I am also sick of people commenting about weight and saying I have lost too much / should stop dieting etc (my BMI is 23, for a female, I am just in the healthy range) so I will stop when I am happy, not when other people tell me too.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    throat punch them
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I get this too and I am finally in a healthy bmi from obese. I just smile and nod
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I get.. "please dont get a small as you used to be... that was too skinny".. I seriously wanna say stay out of it.. its my body... I am proud of w/e shape comes out of eating clean and working out..
    It gets verrrryy agravating.... I have a tiny build.. I will probably look very tiny.. I eat waaaay more then I used too.. shhhhhsh it.

As long as your doing it the healthy way and your body forms to its natural state... I say keep it up!!

**update.. "natural state" not obese or a skeleton... your healthy weight...
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I always say my clothes hide it well and I really do have more to lose for me to be healthy.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually come back with a "can't stop me now...! I am finally healthy" in a really excited voice, and the shear excitement in my voice usually turns them onto saying yeah you are wish I could do that too. Then I leave with the feeling of having been given a huge comment and mood boost.
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    People tell me that a lot...and I just say I still want to loose more body fat and tone up more ... and leave it at that.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes through this a bit and in my opinion, it's a lot like when people offer any other unsolicited advice - you really do just let them have their say and do what what you are going to. If they don't push it past that, then there's no issue. If they continue to insist you are underweight, just tell them that your weight loss is between you and your doctor and it's past the point of discussion. (Invoking the doctor, even if you are not specifically seeing one, is always super helpful for reminding people they don't know what they are talking about).
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Ignore everyone that makes such comments and just listen to yourself. I think you will know when you get to your happy weight. It'll be a weight that you find maintainable and one that you can think clearly and have plenty of energy.

As for the BMI chart - I think it's a total load of crap.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    throat punch them
    ^^^Love it!