Running a 5k without headphones?? WTF?????

Options
So I plan to run my fist 5K in Myrtle Beach in February and seen that they have a "no headphone policy." Then I read online that there was now a rule in place for marathons etc: USA Track & Field, the national governing body for running, this year banned the use of headphones and portable audio players like iPods at its official races. The new rule was created to ensure safety and to prevent runners from having a competitive edge. How am I suppose to run and stay motivated after using this device to train with to begin with?? How do other runners feel about this rule?? And how do you expect to train in the future??

I plan to eventually work my way up to a 10k and so forth, but mannnn I NEED music!!

Replies

• samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you actually running the race in an attempt to win or place in one of the top positions? Or are you simply running for your health and just to see how well you do personally? Unless you are there to actually try to win, I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen similar rules around here for quite awhile, but for the most part people ignore it. When I run, I'm not out there to come in first place or win one of the top prizes. I'm basically out there competing against myself and my previous times. So I end up bringing my headphones. And I'm not the only one. I see quote a few people with them. Actually, in my last 5k I saw two people with rollerblades! I'm pretty sure those are banned too ;)

In other words, It's a rule that may make a difference if you are there to compete and win. But they aren't going to say that you can't run or anything just because you have them with you. Or at least I have never seen that happen.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I started running with headphones, but have since stopped because I got tired of messing with the cords while running. Sometimes if I'm running during a ball game I want to keep track of, I'll run with them on. But it's the exception rather than the rule.

I can see where they have a point. In a race there are people all around you, and part of your situational awareness is being able to hear the people around you.

Those are only officially sanctioned races. I know there are plenty of races around here that do allow head phones. I even found a 5K in march that isn't even keeping official timing.
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't run as much anymore. I have moved on to other activities for my exercise. But I used to run 6 days a week averaging about 18-20 miles a week. Never once used a iPod or the like. I loved the silence actually. That said I can understand how some people might really enjoy music while running.

I can see "banning headphones" as a safety issue ... distracted runners and the like. But as far as giving a competitive edge, seems like it would be just the opposite. Perhaps the ban on headphones is also to ensure that people don't run with cell phones where they might have outside help calling in their times and letting them know where their competition was with respect to them. That's the only way I can see a competitive edge using headphones.

Regardless, I suggest you try running without the tunes and see it you can alleviate your NEED for music while running. May take a little getting used to, but you might find you enjoy running just as much without the music.

Mike
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I am going to be running a marathon in Oct with no headphones. I am going to train with them but my thought is that the day of the race you are going to be so ready to run, motivated by the people around you, the crowd, and the adrinaline rush.
  • samseed101
    Options
    But as far as giving a competitive edge, seems like it would be just the opposite. Perhaps the ban on headphones is also to ensure that people don't run with cell phones where they might have outside help calling in their times and letting them know where their competition was with respect to them. That's the only way I can see a competitive edge using headphones.

This is going to sound really stupid, lol. But I think that for some people, like myself, it definitely gives a competitive edge. I run outside alone a lot. Not extremely long distances or anything. I try to run a 5k to a 10k two to three times a week at a moderate pace. Maybe a 9-min mile or so. But unless I have someone to talk to, I absolutely HAVE to have headphones. Without them, I find that I struggle.

Listening to music I enjoy seems to give me energy. I crank the volume and don't hear anything around me. I find myself almost singing the song in my head and pushing forward. And here's where it get's weird. Obviously there's a pause between songs. During that short pause, all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing heavy. I can also hear my feet hitting the ground. All of a sudden that seems to break my concentration or remind me that I am running and it sucks! lol.

As weird as it sounds, the music seems to almost take my mind elsewhere while my body does what it needs to do. It feels like it gives me energy and pushes me to run harder. To put it to a real world number.... We have to do a physical fitness test twice a year. Part of that test is a 1.5 mile run. With headphones I can sometimes make the run in just under 10 minutes. Not always, but I'm usually very close. However, without headphones, My times are mid to low 11s.

Again, I know it's stupid and I know it's all in my head. But it does indeed give me a slight edge. I suppose for me it's like that personal trainer that pushes you to do one more rep that I wouldnt have done otherwise.
  • emily859
    Options
    That rule by USATF has been around for a few years now... I ran my first half marathon with no earphones (it wasn't too bad- I'll explain in a min) but I ran my marathon and the other half with earphones. I've ran every shorter distance race with earphones.

If you are trying to place or win, I think the earphones could invalidate your results but if you aren't aiming to do either of those things (like me) I don't think it is going to get you in trouble or anything.

A few pointers though: don't wear both earphones at the start or the finish, or where there is a lot of congestion. The reason for that is someone might come up behind you or quickly cut in front of you and you can't hear them with both in. That's where runner safety comes into play. I usually keep one in an ear and one tucked into my shirt, volume low, until the pack settles into their paces and the cluster kinda disperses a bit. Then I'll put both in.

Sometimes though with races there's so much going on that you will be amazed that you might not need the music. For that first half, there were crowds of people cheering us on. Also, I focused on the rhythm of my breath, the sound of runners' feet hitting the pavement, the cool air, the warmth of the sun, anything that causes you to be in the moment. Sometimes that can be just as rewarding/ encouraging as a cool song. :) Good luck!!
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    But as far as giving a competitive edge, seems like it would be just the opposite. Perhaps the ban on headphones is also to ensure that people don't run with cell phones where they might have outside help calling in their times and letting them know where their competition was with respect to them. That's the only way I can see a competitive edge using headphones.

This is going to sound really stupid, lol. But I think that for some people, like myself, it definitely gives a competitive edge. I run outside alone a lot. Not extremely long distances or anything. I try to run a 5k to a 10k two to three times a week at a moderate pace. Maybe a 9-min mile or so. But unless I have someone to talk to, I absolutely HAVE to have headphones. Without them, I find that I struggle.

Listening to music I enjoy seems to give me energy. I crank the volume and don't hear anything around me. I find myself almost singing the song in my head and pushing forward. And here's where it get's weird. Obviously there's a pause between songs. During that short pause, all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing heavy. I can also hear my feet hitting the ground. All of a sudden that seems to break my concentration or remind me that I am running and it sucks! lol.

As weird as it sounds, the music seems to almost take my mind elsewhere while my body does what it needs to do. It feels like it gives me energy and pushes me to run harder. To put it to a real world number.... We have to do a physical fitness test twice a year. Part of that test is a 1.5 mile run. With headphones I can sometimes make the run in just under 10 minutes. Not always, but I'm usually very close. However, without headphones, My times are mid to low 11s.

Again, I know it's stupid and I know it's all in my head. But it does indeed give me a slight edge. I suppose for me it's like that personal trainer that pushes you to do one more rep that I wouldnt have done otherwise.

Good point actually. I never used headphone, so I just think of music as a distraction. But I can see how you could use it to keep your pace up. When I used to run for speed on short runs, if I could keep thinking to myself "faster, faster, faster" I would make better time. If my mind wandered at all which is what I always envision with listening to music, my pace would slow. I would try to concentrate on shortening my stride and increasing my turnover rate and the better I did that the faster my pace. So I guess I can see how you could use some sort of audio feedback as a way to keep your pace up.

Mike
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think you can get used to anything. When I was younger and ran more seriously, I never used any type of headphone. Studies that have been done on runners show that one of the characteristics of elite runners was that instead of dissociating during their training, they concentrated more on being "in the moment" -- paying attention to body sensations, staying relaxed, monitoring splits, etc. That was pretty much my approach. Oddly enough, when I did take something to listen to, more often than not it was news talk shows rather than music.

I use an iPod pretty regularly now, but I have also noticed that, on days where I forget it it, there is no difference in performance. I have had some excellent, "record-setting" (for me) workouts with music and without. There are definite times when a certain song will provide motivation to push harder, but I also find that, given the right circumstances, I can summon an equal effort without any music.

I don't know if anyone has any more recent data, but IIRC, the studies I saw 15-20 years ago suggested that listening to music did not have any appreciable effect as a performance enhancer. However, these studies tend to be done by lower-level graduate students so I am not sure how valid they were.

Personally, I can't imagine being that hung up about feeling a "need" to listen to music during a 5K or 10K race. If the challenge of the event and being with the other runners isn't enough to get you fired up, then it would almost make me wonder why you are running at all.
  • samseed101
    Options
    Personally, I can't imagine being that hung up about feeling a "need" to listen to music during a 5K or 10K race. If the challenge of the event and being with the other runners isn't enough to get you fired up, then it would almost make me wonder why you are running at all.

Like I said, I'm a bit weird about things like that. My problem is that I do not consider myself a distance runner. I have always been a sprinter and will probably always be a sprinter. I have great explosiveness, and a fast, long, quick stride. My best runs are anything from a 40yd sprint to a 200yd sprint. It also translated well to other sports, where I had good speed and a good vertical leap. Basically, I have always been a sprinter.

However, I also am wise enough to know that long distance running has its place. It's a great way to burn extra calories and work on my cardiovascular health. Especially if I can slowly increase my pace over distance and time. That doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy it. On the contrary, most of the time I hate running. But I do it and I'm fine with it once I get started. Liekwise, I really don't like squats, but at the same time I love them. I hate them because they are tough. I love them because they work!

So why do I run at all? Because I know that it will benefit me in the long run. If listening to music makes it that much easier for me, then I don't see a problem with it. I'm not running for fun or personal enjoyment. I'm running to get and stay fit.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the feedback. This will be my first 5K sooooo the crowd may indeed be JUST enough to fire me up and give me energy if I am not allowed to use my ipod. However, I do not have that same crowd at home with me cheering me along the way as I run outside or on my treadmill. Thats why I am use to my ipod. I agree with the person who stated that he can hear his footsteps and breathing between songs. I do the same. The continous play of the music drives me to push forward and reminds just how much I DO love running and inspires me to want to put more time and effort into the sport so that I may grow and challenge myself with larger goals. So to answer one response: I run because I like it, because it makes me feel good, and it reduces stress from a highly stressful job that I come home from everyday. I run because I love the way it makes my body feel and look. I run because it makes me STRONG inside and out...there for I RUN!!!! Thanks Guys!!! I apppreciate all the thoughts that you all have put into my question. All are valued!! Keep Running!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Like I said, I'm a bit weird about things like that. My problem is that I do not consider myself a distance runner. I have always been a sprinter and will probably always be a sprinter. I have great explosiveness, and a fast, long, quick stride. My best runs are anything from a 40yd sprint to a 200yd sprint. It also translated well to other sports, where I had good speed and a good vertical leap. Basically, I have always been a sprinter.

However, I also am wise enough to know that long distance running has its place. It's a great way to burn extra calories and work on my cardiovascular health. Especially if I can slowly increase my pace over distance and time. That doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy it. On the contrary, most of the time I hate running. But I do it and I'm fine with it once I get started. Liekwise, I really don't like squats, but at the same time I love them. I hate them because they are tough. I love them because they work!

So why do I run at all? Because I know that it will benefit me in the long run. If listening to music makes it that much easier for me, then I don't see a problem with it. I'm not running for fun or personal enjoyment. I'm running to get and stay fit.

That's a good explanation.

From what I read of your comments, you seem to be very methodical and focused in your training so it makes sense that you might choose an activity that you did not instinctively enjoy because of an important perceived benefit.

And it always sounds harsher when you say it in written form, but I didn't mean that remark as criticism to the OP or those who are adamant about "needing" music to get through a run. I was just wondering why someone would continue to do an activity that it sounded like they had to force themselves to do. In my younger days (aka "the dawn of time") people forced themselves to run because there were not many other choices--or because they had to run away from mastodons and other like creatures.

But your answer makes sense. It's hard for me to relate because I have always loved running. Above and beyond any fitness or health benefits, I simply enjoy the physical sensation. It's why I keep pushing myself to do it, regardless of the setbacks.
  • robbienjill
    Options
    awww and we all get along!! lol Super
    :flowerforyou:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in December and yeah, there is something to being in the moment with the crowd. However, I ran WITH headphones! I need music in my life daily. I listen to it when I'm doing the 30 mile commute to work and back and I listen to it when I'm working on reports. I cannot imagine working out at the gym without it. So darlin' I am right there with ya! I have yet to see those rules in any future race I am planning to run but if the rule exists you can wage your bets that I will be ignoring them.
  • itamer
    itamer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing came out right at the end... most of your running isn't "real world" so you use the ipod to distract you from the tedium of the treadmill.

If you run 5k in your neighbourhood you are so busy looking around you, comparing how you felt at this hill last time, doing time checks, looking at how the renovations on that house are going etc that a short run like that just flies by. (marathons are another thing altogether I imagine!!!)

If I cycle on a wind trainer I can barely last 45 minutes before everything hurts too much but I'll go out and ride hard for 4 hours on the road no problem. Its just so different when you are actually going places.

So, when you get to these events and you have the buzz and the crowds and it's only a 5k race I wouldn't fret about the music. You won't even miss it.
  • robbienjill
    Options
    thx:happy:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the bio feedback or safety issues, I can see why you would ban headphones in a sanctioned race. No matter how you look at it, music has a beat and a beat is a timing device. For most, that just means it keeps you motivated...but if you are a competitive athlete who has done the math, you can customize your ipod music selections to provide distinctive pacing throughout your race....in fact you can even buy those types of music training packages already. Taking it a step further (pardon the pun :wink: ) now that you can get the ipod inserts for your shoes, not only do you have pace management but actual time/distance feedback right in your headphones.

For the average, "just get me to the finish line" runner, this may not make a whole lot of difference, but it would be an extremely unfair advantage for two guys duking it out to be first at the finish line, with one having technical support and one running 'naked'.

I don't run, but most sports have banned any sort of timing device for racing and I think this is just recognizing how technology is evolving.
  • robbienjill
    Options
    paddlemom. thx 4 the input...nice way to think about it I guess...:heart:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    All good points. I love to run and I love music. I combine the two for that reason. I hate to do dishes and I love music. I combine the two for that reason. It just makes sense to me. I run to keep my head on straight, and music helps that as well. I'm signed up for three races and I haven't seen any rules about headphones, but I was looking forward to my Nike+ and my music, if only in just one ear. I'll deal if I can't though. I ran part way of my longest run this far with no music because I heard some strange dog/coyote/mammal and wanted to keep my eyes/ears peeled. I can do it, but it's like cake without icing.

I just read a really cool article about Kara Goucher in runner's world- about how her confidence is the key to her performance. My music drowns out the voices in my head that say I'm a chubby girl who can't run, that I'm slow, that I should stop, that I look strange, and that tights should have been outlawed for folks like me. I could probably stand to learn to do that drowning out for myself, but so far me and my playlists have been doing just fine.

I run outside exclusively. By myself. I am aware of what's happening around me, and notice things like changes in decorations around houses and which dogs have gotten used to me and which still lunge at the fences, but I do it with a soundtrack- like most things in my life.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    All good points. I love to run and I love music. I combine the two for that reason. I hate to do dishes and I love music. I combine the two for that reason. It just makes sense to me. I run to keep my head on straight, and music helps that as well. I'm signed up for three races and I haven't seen any rules about headphones, but I was looking forward to my Nike+ and my music, if only in just one ear. I'll deal if I can't though. I ran part way of my longest run this far with no music because I heard some strange dog/coyote/mammal and wanted to keep my eyes/ears peeled. I can do it, but it's like cake without icing.

I just read a really cool article about Kara Goucher in runner's world- about how her confidence is the key to her performance. My music drowns out the voices in my head that say I'm a chubby girl who can't run, that I'm slow, that I should stop, that I look strange, and that tights should have been outlawed for folks like me. I could probably stand to learn to do that drowning out for myself, but so far me and my playlists have been doing just fine.

I run outside exclusively. By myself. I am aware of what's happening around me, and notice things like changes in decorations around houses and which dogs have gotten used to me and which still lunge at the fences, but I do it with a soundtrack- like most things in my life.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS POST!!!!
  • Merv268
    Merv268 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started running Jan 2009 with an IPOD. I recently joined a half marthon training group and our instructor said "leave the music at home; why did you join a group to be solo".
    Fair enough!
    So, I am learning to run without music and at first it really sucked, I love to hear the music to get me up a hill! Now, I'm learning, but the silence along with listening to my body and my breathing is getting easier. I'm finding it peaceful!

You can do it, you have lost weight and have gotten healthier so anything can be accomplished at this point!