Need advice on avoiding a sugary breakfast.

Options
124»

Replies

• CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Read the labels of the foods you are buying. For instance Nature Valley Granola bars are supposed to be good for you so some folks eat them in excess yet they contain 11g and up of sugar.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake for breakfast on weekdays and an egg based breakfast on weekends. The protein shake is fast, cheap, easy, tasty, helps me hit my protein goal, and keeps me full til lunch. Done.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had to eliminate cereal from my diet unless it is a treat. It really is high in sugar, even the unsweetened kind. Now for breakfast I eat a lot of eggs scrambled with veggies, beans and cheese. It's boring, but it is fast and healthy.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    Only cereal i eat is a thing called weet-bix. .8g sugar and only 105 calories.

Also avoiding bread so eggs, cottage cheese, mushrooms, avacado, fried tomato ....
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    if you really like oat meal go for bob's red mill steel cut oats or irish oats and add some sucanat or coconut sap. Try greek yogurt with fruit, and dont worry to much about natural sugar sources it the processed crap that is toxic. Also there are all natural cereals if you are a cereal girl like natures path, kashi, wild roots… there are a lot of options it just takes some careful shopping and label reading
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    1. Fat free Greek yogurt with berries
    2. Omelette with spinich and mushrooms (with toast and cheese if you want more calories)
    3. Smoothie (ice, greek yogurt, 1/2 cup almond milk, berries, spoon of peanut butter)
    4. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana slices

I rotate these and make sure to have the ingredients in my fridge. All are very filling and tasty.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do 2 slices of toast (Country Oven 12-grain) and 3 large hard boiled eggs. For me, that is actually a decent breakfast (~400 kcals) for me but you could adjust that to your caloric intake levels. Bread and eggs together don't really have hardly any sugar in them and the carbohydrates in the bread will give you good energy to start your metabolism off well for the day.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump ! I have the same prob as the OP, will read what all the others are saying..
  • LuanaonMaui
    Options
    For me, I need to avoid a high suagr/high carb breakfast. If I have oatmeal for breakfast, I am *starving* by 10am and then want more suagr/carbs.

I avoid this by having a high protein breakfast with veggies. An egg, Morning Star sausage, whatever mixed veg and then I have a single piece of Ezekiel toast or half a whole wheat english muffin.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love cereal for breakfast, so I have had to search for the kinds that are lower in sugar.

Kashi GoLean has 6 grams of sugar in a cup
    Puffins cereal has 5 grams of sugar in 3/4 cup
    Wheat Chex has 5 grams in 3/4 cup
    Grape Nuts has 4 grams in 1/2 cup, but 1/2 cup of Grape Nuts has 200 calories so it goes farther.
    I believe Cheerios only has 3 grams of sugar in a cup but I don't have any in my pantry to check right now.

All these cereals have at least 5 grams of fiber per serving, with the exception of Cheerios, which has only 3. The Kashi is quite high in protein, while Wheat Chex and Grape Nuts contain a moderate amount (5 or 6 grams in a serving).

For some reason the idea of eating savory foods for breakfast nauseates me. I don't know why; I like eggs and veggie scrambles but only for lunch/dinner. I eat cereal or overnight oats. Overnight oats keeps me full longer but sometimes I have to have my cereal. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone else who loves cereal :D