Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options
I have a new pet peeve. Girls who brag that they are a size “insert tiny size here”.

Are you? Are you really?? Hmmm. Curious.

I wore a size 4 dress on Monday. I wore a pair of jeans in a size 12 Tuesday. Yesterday, Wednesday, I wore a skirt that was a size “medium” with a shirt that was a size “large”. Today I’m wearing jeans that are a size 8 with a top that is a size “extra small”.

What size am I? Do I just take some sort of Alice in Wonderland-esque body changing mushrooms and magically change size to fit whatever is in my closet? Sadly, no. I think it’s just the clothing. I buy whatever size fits me in whatever that particular garment happens to be. Sometimes it’s a 4. Sometimes it’s a 14. The bleep do I know? I’m taking the whole rack into the fitting room with me when I try stuff on.

(Curiously, the jeans (the 12 and the 8) are by the same maker, they’re just cut differently. So you can’t even just find a brand and stick with it! AGHHHHHH!!!)

So, Miss “I’m a size 2”, that’s all well and good, but speaking as a woman who has been shopping for clothing for, you know, all of my adult life, I don’t believe you that you are a size 2 every day in every outfit you own. If you are, then dammmm girl, you have more patience with shopping than I do. Cause there is literally no rhyme or reason to ladies attire sizing. None. Whatsoever.

(this, by the way men, is why we are all neurotic about our weight… don’t blame us, don’t even blame supermodels in the media. No, blame our ridiculous clothing sizes and our apparently mathematically challenged designers.)

I hear girls from time to time really gloating that they are a size “whatever” and you know, unless they are having all of their clothing tailor made all of the time and slapping a size 0 sticker on them, I’m calling shenanigans. You probably do have a bunch of clothes that are a size “whatever” but you also probably fit perfectly into a bunch of clothes that are a size “oh my god, I need to stop eating cookies”. You just maybe don’t purchase those ones.

I do purchase them and that is why my closet looks like 17 differently sized people choose their daily clothing from it.

Technically on Monday, I was a size 4. Maybe I should just stick with that and tell everyone that 4 is my size. ;)

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Love this. You are awesome!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Rant much?

If I'm asked what size I am I'll give the average of what most of my clothes are. Wouldn't be useful if my boyfriend asked what size I was and I gave him a choice of 4.

Same with shoes, I range from a 3 -5 but if asked I'll generally say I'm a 4.

Personally couldn't give a stuff what size people say they are.
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love this! It is so true! People should not go based on clothing size, nor should they brag about it. EVER!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe people shouldn't brag about how much weight they've lost on here either 0_0

Sorry but if I ever get down to a UK size 10 (US 6) I'm gonna stand on my work roof with a tannoy announcing to the world and offering to tattoo the fact onto peoples foreheads.

Of course people are gonna brag about there "NSV's" it's half the motivation for not getting to eat deep fried cheese anymore
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. There is this company Mango (I don't know if you have it in America) and I love their clothes but I some time ago I bought 3 items from tehir shop the same day: a t-shirt, a blouse and a longsleve and they were European size 36, 38 and 40 respectively. All were uperbody clothes from the same store!
    No point in looking at sizes.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My scale has barely moved in the 6 months since I started lifting weights. If I can fit into a smaller size, damn straight I'm going to celebrate it. What's wrong with that?
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ... unless they are having all of their clothing tailor made all of the time and slapping a size 0 sticker on them, I’m calling shenanigans. ...

LOL. What a clever idea this would be though! :happy:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS!!! Size Schmize. I have shirts ranging from xxs-large as well... pants size 2-8... It's all crap! I have one pair of jeans that I have had for years and I base how my body is changing on those since I feel my best when I can wear them.

This post was awesome and so are you :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Some of us are just super happy to have gotten where we are. I'm sorry if our success peeves you off. For me, I've always been a 12-14...smallest ever a 10. Now I can walk into any store and either a 6 or 4 will fit. Do you know how that feels to someone who has never worn (even in high school) below at 10 or a M/L shirt? Now some smalls are too big. That to me is amazing and it makes me feel pretty darn good.

Seriously, deal with it.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this! Very well said! :drinker:
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Haha, exactly this. In addition we Brits have that terrifying realisation that our sizes are DIFFERENT TO THE US. So for us a size 4-6 is the same as your 0-2 I think? But pretty much no-one in the UK is a size 4 (your size 0). You'd think of someone as skinny or thin if they're a size 10 or less (your size 6). It makes things even more confusing.......

I'm a size 8-14 I think- I have broad shoulders and decent sized knockers but can still fit into some size 8 tops. But recently I've not been able to fit into size 12 trousers (new ones- I have old ones from the same brand that fit perfectly), and have been in size 14. It's not about a size or a weight but about a lifestyle! :)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't get why women need a different size system from the rest of world. What's wrong with inches/centimetres/etc? :)
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the OP point is ppl who just feel the need to annoyingly brag about their size i understand this i hate when ppl feel the need to fish for compliments or even lie about their
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

aaaaah haha haha

I think you should direct your anger into something productive!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I love Gap and buy all of my pants from them. I'm currently wearing a pair in size 6 that are falling off, have size 8s in my closet that fit me perfectly, another pair of 8s that I can barely button, and a pair of 10s that don't quite fit over my butt just yet. All from Gap. Fairly certain that if I "only shop at a few places" it isn't going to make a lick of difference as to what size I truly am.

As an aside, I'm a ONE at Chico's, so I'll now be claiming that as my official size. :laugh:
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    One of my goals was to be a one digit size for jeans. Until I went to a salvation army store and had all this jeans from all sorts of brands about the same size with different numbers on their tags!
  • darsh11
    Options
    My personal trainer used to say this to all of his women clients. Go get a sharpie and change the size in all your clothes to the size you want to be or get scissors and cut out all the tags of your clothes. Once you are done then you will realize that clothing size does not matter it is the way you look in your clothes and the confidence you have is what people see. So whether you are a size 0 or a size 24 the size only matters to you.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    I hear you!

I have size 6 pants from NY&Co that I wear regularly. I have size 6 shorts from Old Navy that I have a muffin top in. I have size 8 clothes that barely button and size 8 clothes that are comfy. Etc, etc, etc.

It's a funny NSV because I've been there. Like the first time I bought a size small top I was like WTF? Size SMALL! But I have size large tops (from Jrs dept) that are skin tight.

I love having smalls and size 6s in my closet, but I can't say that's the ONLY size I wear.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have 3 different cuts of jeans from the same store, size 8, 10, and 12 that I fit into perfectly. I have a pair of size 10 shorts from said store as well that do not fit, at all (well okay, they do, but I have muffin top like crazy and the front stretches when I button them) and another pair of size 10 shorts from the same store that fall off of me. Everything from American Eagle....I also can only wear XL shirts there (I'm chesty) but if I shop anywhere else, XL is like flapping in the wind.

Of course, then I went and bought a few shirts from Maurices which must be size more towards teens than woman because I had to get a 1XL to fit comfortably over my chest!

Yeah, I agree with this...it is the clothing designers giving us complexes, not models or whatever.