Tried ground turkey the results was not good

Options
I tried it for the first time this week, I didn't like it at all, it made my stomach hurt so bad. Just say I didn't eat the rest of my meal that day b/c it didn't taste good and yeah. So did anyone else ever tried it and made you wanna get sick? Did you try it again?

Replies

• LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I made turkey burgers for the first time ever using ground turkey......they were DISGUSTING!!! Made my house stink!!! I will not buy it again!!! lol
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    the thing is, most ground turkey is really not much lower in calories than lean ground beef.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love ground turkey but it has to be in some sort of sauce, like spagetti or taco's etc... I love the premade frozen turkey burgers... on the grill
  • TerminatorFRS86
    TerminatorFRS86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    butterball makes absolutely amazing ground turkey burgers that with a lil bbq sauce rival some good beef burgers out there. about 40% less cals too and a ton less fat.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I love ground turkey breast, has never made my house stink or my stomach hurt... just can't bring myself to pay like 5 dollars a pound though..
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What GauchoMark said. So many folks are fooled into thinking ground chicken or turkey is so much better than ground beef but in some cases, it can actually have much more fat if it's not specifically 90%. I've tried lean ground turkey a few times and have had the same reaction as the OP - it's just totally gross. I'm fine with other turkey products though like pepperoni, kielbasa and hot dogs.

OP, you can get 90% or higher lean ground beef and do just as well and I promise it will taste much better! It's tough to make burgers out of very lean meat though - they seem to fall apart too easily at least in my experience.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    how did you make it ?

I use it all the time to make "turkey-veggie-chili" ...... I brown the ground turkey breast ..... put into slowcooker with chopped onions, peppers, beans, spices & herbs .... add canned tomato sauce or puree ..... OMG, the house smells so good when I get home from work ...... my husband eats bowls of the stuff ..... it freezes well ..... leftovers are great to take for lunch ..... (and we've both lost weight)
  • mea90334
    Options
    my sister made bell peppers and she doesnt eat beef so she made it with ground turkey... not good...
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It has a really weird flavor. I am going to stick with beef
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey ALL the time. It is tricky to cook because it has low fat. I mix it with a bit of torilla and sometimes tomato sauce and onions and then BROIL it in the oven.

You need to read the label on it carefully. Some ground turkey has lots of strange 'turkey bits' in it. Some does not. I also buy turkey breasts or chicken breasts and just throw it through my meat ginder.

This is the Barefoot Contessa's turkey meatloaf recipe, which is delicious. Not low cal, but delicous:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/turkey-meatloaf-recipe/index.html
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    ground turkey breast only, or ground beef, the higher fat ground turkey is ok in chili or spaghetti but that's about it, but i feel the same about 85/15 ground beef. I eat a lot of the extra lean ground turkey, but buy it up on sale so I can afford it, lol.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with ground turkey, but I do use it mostly in spaghetti or chili. I do like turkey burgers, and I've never had my house stink or my stomach upset in any way. But turkey bacon does make my house smell really weird, so that's where I draw the line.

Maybe you're just not used to it? Start with turkey burgers and ease into ground turkey. You'll have to remember that it tastes neither like ground beef or like the turkey you're used to at Thanksgiving. And it's adapts quickly to whatever sauce or spices you put on it.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    love turkey bacon (from Butterball) but can't bring myself to eat the ground turkey,kinda glad after hearing all these lol
  • perpetual98
    Options
    I've found that unless you're seasoning it to high-heaven, it doesn't taste very good. We won't hesitate to use it in taco meat at all because the seasonings are giving it flavor. I saw it was pretty cheap at Aldi the other day ($1.79/lb) but we didn't buy any.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's all in the seasoning. What did you season it with? When I make turkey burgers I use on package of lipton onion soup mix to 1lb of ground turkey & add some garlic powder & a little pepper & it's delish!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I'm hit or miss about ground turkey. It goes well IN stuff, but I can't do just turkey burgers. it's great in chili, or spaghetti sauce or stuffed peppers.. but just the meat.. in a patty not so much.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've had ground turkey, and it hasn't been a problem for me. I wouldn't say that it's as good as ground beef, but I'm fine with it.
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    I have noticed a big difference in brands of ground turkey. The inexpensive brands are horrible.
    I've gotten to the point that I buy only the Turkey Store branded products. If you are expecting it to be just like ground beef, it will not be, it's turkey and has to be treated like turkey. It does not have the same fat content and it's not red meat.
    If you are making a burger, it is very easy to overcook it to the point of being dry and unpalatable. A little water or other liquid in the pan helps a lot. Flavor-wise, I find that adding Worcestershire sauce to ground turkey helps give it a more meaty flavor.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    the thing is, most ground turkey is really not much lower in calories than lean ground beef.

Agree. Just eat beef if you don't like turkey
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

This. I use 96% lean ground beef. It's like 70 calories less a serving than ground turkey, and it's still beef, baby!