Tried ground turkey the results was not good

Options

Replies

• KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,244 Member
    Options
    It's all in the seasoning. What did you season it with? When I make turkey burgers I use on package of lipton onion soup mix to 1lb of ground turkey & add some garlic powder & a little pepper & it's delish!

Absolutely correct, you have to almost over season ground turkey with all kinds of spices.
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i use the 99% fat free ground turkey breast, love it. i don't add anything to it just patty it up like a normal burger and it taste like eating a chicken sandwich. i think the reason what you used made your house stink is because most ground turkey has additives to mimic ground beef flavor. try it again just using butterball 99% fat free ground turkey breast, you'll probably have better results
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Saute diced onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Let it cool completely. Add it to the ground turkey. The olive oil helps moisten the turkey, as it typically has less fat and can become dry easily. Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, worchestershire or soy, and go from there. :)
  • Heyman09
    Options
    We have been doing TURKEY everything for about 6 months now the best one to get is the Jennie o turkey...I find all the others to be gross but Jennie o is the best....Its in green packaging
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I buy ground turkey breast... it is less calories and fat than typical ground turkey. Right now we use it to make tacos and chili.... No issues for me and the family. We also use the Bubba Burger turkey burgers sometimes too. Much less fat/calories than their ground beef counterpart. However, they are much drier than beef when cooked on the grill.

You should also try Jennie-O turkey italian sausage. I really like it and to me it's just as good as regular italian sausage.... again with much less fat and calories. I also noticed that the Jennie-O brand of sausage even has less calories than the Publix brand of turkey italian sausage... so check labels.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I used to buy ground turkey and turkey bacon and didn't really like it. Then I found out that ground turkey really doesn't offer much better benefits than the real stuff. Good bye, turkey products. I'll take regular beef and pork any day. But for me it was because of the taste. I just didn't really like it.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have two great turkey burger recipes that I'll post in the reipes section for everyone... keep an eye out, I'll be posting in a just a moment.

I'm not a huge fan of ground turkey but these turkey burger recipes are pretty spectacular (if I do say so myself). :happy:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to what grade of ground turkey you are buying. If you buy ground turkey BREAST, it tastes much better and is much leaner than the lower grade which includes the dark meat as well as white meat. The lower grade also has a mushier texture. The lower grade is okay for chili or tomato sauce, but not for burgers and such.
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey I use it in my lasagna, stuffed green peppers, tacos, make turkey burgers , chilli, I just replace ground beef with it maybe try playing with some spices that might help I also use ground chicken.
  • NatGnat
    NatGnat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my experience, ground turkey is similar to ground beef just not a flavorful and can be drier. I use it how I would ground beef but just season it more. I still eat both. I buy the leanest I can afford and drain it.

I have substituted ground turkey and not told my boyfriend (he's sooo not health concious--in fact I am convinced he is anti-healthy..). He ate it just fine. When I asked he said he didn't notice a difference and was just ground meat to him.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Ground beef all the way!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I only like it for spaghetti sauce or meatballs...and the ocassional burger with avocado and pineapple.

No, it didn't make me feel sick....but I remember the cheaper one (meaning it was the higher fat one vs the lean ground breast...there is a significant difference in taste and price) just not being pleasing to my palate,
  • davepavone
    Options
    All meat is good depending. try making turkey burgers and put then in a smoker for a hr. use a fruit wood.
    depending on your diet plan you could even wrap in in bacon (yea I know its fat)
    but all in all cal wise its the same as beef or chicken or fish. fat it is low in turkey (unless you wrap it in bacon)

ps I have cooked turkey burgers and they are ok but I would rather cook a turkey Breast and slice it
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    We had it in hamburger helper. It was my boyfriend and I that ate it, and he loved it and didn't make him sick but me on the other hand did. Glad to see some think its gross and some love it.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I tried a meatloaf with ground turkey, and none of my family liked it. If I do try it again, I will mix it with ground beef. But I use a very lean ground beef, so I will probably stick with that. I also do not like turkey hot dogs. I would rather eat a beef hot dog for 190 calories (just one), than a turkey dog for 45 calories!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Shadybrook Farms ground turkey is disgusting. I think it's really low quality. I actually prefer either organic ground turkey (nature's promise) or perdue ground chicken. I don't eat beef so I sub ground chicken or turkey for anything calling for ground beef.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    if you haven't ever had it before i would suggest to do a half and half mixture with beef or ground sausage!!!
    any change is good.

We only use Turkey now in our home!!!!
    get familiar with seasons and spices!!!

Love Turkey :wink:
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I only use ground turkey. I've used it for about 4 years now, and I love it. Ground turkey breast is better for you, but so dry, so I just get the regular ground turkey... never ever had a problem with it! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it!
  • ddchin
    Options
    Yes, I love it.... I don't eat ground beef anymore. You most season it very well. I like to make burgers. I season it with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning and pepper. I like to let it sit overnight so the flavors come together. I grill, pan fry or bake it. Sautee onions and put feta cheese (sometimes goat cheese or gorgonzola) and A1 steak sauce instead of ketup. OMG... I want one know!!!

Also do spaghetti with the ground turkey instead of ground beef.

I hope you try it again.
  • quarlesmk
    Options
    I've never had a problem with ground turkey and use it all the time. I created a ground turkey dish with some items already in the pantry. Browned lean ground turkey and seasoned. Added a can of black beans, served over rice. Delish and filling!