Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't get why women need a different size system from the rest of world. What's wrong with inches/centimetres/etc? :)

We don't, and I hate it.
    I wish they'd size clothes by inches like men's clothes. Then I wouldn't have to try on 8 zillion things to get things that fit. :angry:
  • jungefrau
    jungefrau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    True and (now) funny story: several yrs ago I was working a bridal photog trade show and was supposed to dress as either a bride or a bridesmaid. We would sit there while photographers tried out the different lenses for cameras.

So this girl and I are sent to the dress store and the smallest bridal gown they have is size 4 (I was a 12). The girl looks at me, puts her lower lip out like she's pouting, and says, "Shoot, you'll get to be the bride now because I'm too tiny for the dress. Always the bridesmaid..."

I had to work with her all day.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A size 00 coworker asked me one day what size I was.. when I replied that I'm a 6 or a 7, sometimes an 8, she side-eyed me and said all smugly "Oh, you're that big?" *rolls eyes* I said yes, I actually have hips..
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    amen i hear ya
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I made a comment about this same thing today. I have pants that are a size 14 that fit perfectly and pants that are a size 18 that also fir perfectly. Size 16, too. So what size am I? Who knows.

I have a pair of size 10 pants that are about 30 years old. Compare them to a size 10 pants today and they are TINY. It doesnt matter what the number is as long as you are happy with the body you are putting into it. :)
  • happypath101
    Options
    Awesome! I own a size 3 skirt that I love, but I almost didn't buy it because of the stupid size. I'm not a 3. They're lying to me. And, it's not a compliment. It's kind of an insult. My self-esteem and my purchasing decisions are made of common sense; they don't hinge on telling me how small I am as if small is better.

Healthy is better. Looking slamming is better. Looking age/weather/event-appropriate is better. Buying something that's a good value is better.

Damn the label on the clothes. I'll label myself thank you very much and that label reads: Trim, Fit, & Intellgient.

:O)
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have pants that are sizes 22-28, all of which fit me well enough to keep them.
    I have tees that range from a mens L to a mens 2XL (ladies tops are wide and short almost always).
    I almost exclusively buy women's clothing at Lane Bryant, and I have some tops that are 14/16, 18/20, 22/24, AND 26/28.
    Don't even get me started on dresses...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I'm a size zero

Zero being the degree to which I care, and also the degree to which clothing size actually matters

You rock.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    This made me giggle, and I agree, women's sizes are ridiculous. It's not like men's where the jeans are actually labeled by their ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS... I mean how handy is that?! So universal. I wish ours was the same.

I will say, though that I am pretty much the same size no matter where I go. I can always bet on a medium size top and medium or large size pants (I'm fairly thin now, but I've always had a donk :laugh:). I guess it just depends on your body type because I've never had my sizes jump around too much.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd size clothes by inches like men's clothes. Then I wouldn't have to try on 8 zillion things to get things that fit. :angry:

Not really. See my earlier post about men's sizes - I have pants that vary from 31 to 34. And dress shirts are horrible since 1) they are locked up in packages and 2) the waist & chest size of the shirt are not part of the measurements (it's neck/arm).

You know what? When I was in 38 pants I didn't care about the fit of anything, so I'd grab anything labelled 38 and just wear it. Same with shirts. Now that I have something more worth showing, I'm a lot more careful about how things fit correctly.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If you look at this, at the bottom, there is a list of a load of UK stores which highlights the difference in sizes:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Sizing varies from shop to shop, and even in the same shop. I have 2 identical linen dresses from French Connection in UK size 14, one is green the other black, and the green one is much looser.

I can fit back into some of my UK size 12 trousers, and a US size 8 pair from Abercrombie & Fitch, but I can't do up my French Connection size 12 trousers, or my O'Neill ones.

If I ever need to tell anyone my size, i'd probably take an average and say I'm a UK 14, although I fit into a 12 in some things. I just buy what fits me, and suits me.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    LOVE THIS.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am a size AWESOME!! HAHA, That feels good.. I gonna answer people that way when they ask what size I am next time :flowerforyou:
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Okay, now your a size 1, how do you look? I give up.

I wasn't addressing the person above me. I was addressing someone in general who is obsessed with a number. Taught my daughter to like what she looks like not a number. She is in India today looking at camels.:love:
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

^ OP touched a nerve with you, didn't she? Please, tell us how you really feel :laugh:

Although, I do agree that sizes 4 & 14 is a BIG difference. Unless the size 4 is coming from Torrid, I don't see how they can fit the same body.

Meh. it's whatever.

It's not like anyone's clothing size, weight, etc has an effect on anyone but themselves so why stress.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

It might be me being sensitive but...I really disliked the idea of someone calling a 12/14 'really fat;, As someone who fluctuates between a 22/24 and is just starting the journey (again), that stings coming from a place that's supposed to be supportive.

Sorry but when I was 10/12, I was fat. Like stomach sticking out, rolls of fat, fat. I cannot even begin to imagine what I would look like at a 22/24.

It's not that I'm not being supportive and I'm sorry you disliked what I had to say, but thats how I felt at that size so thats how I described it.

The difference between a 4 and a 14 is huge.... my pants that I haven't given away that are that size don't fit at all and fall promptly off my *kitten*.. so how the OP can wear clothes like that, still baffle me.
  • This is awesome
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Totally understand what you mean about sizes, it's so so so frustrating :-(
    Why can't be have clothes that are measured to one size :-(
    At the moment I am wearing uk sizes 12-14-16 so that's us sizes 8-10-12
    Agh!
  • sarahsim48
    sarahsim48 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe people shouldn't brag about how much weight they've lost on here either 0_0

Sorry but if I ever get down to a UK size 10 (US 6) I'm gonna stand on my work roof with a tannoy announcing to the world and offering to tattoo the fact onto peoples foreheads.

Of course people are gonna brag about there "NSV's" it's half the motivation for not getting to eat deep fried cheese anymore

Haha, damn straight!