E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle and I love it. It's not like reading off a phone screen or a computer screen, because there is no backlight. It's like reading from paper, except it's actually easier than reading from paper, because the text is clearer, and the background is pale grey, so less contrast. And you don't see all the dents and grains and hairs that you see on paper - there's nothing to distract from the text. You can adjust the text too - the size, the spacing, the margins, and whether or not your want serifs on the font. And it's easier to hold than a book is - no having to keep pages open and straightening them out when you turn pages. I find I read much faster on my Kindle than I do with regular books. I actually like the fact that there are no page numbers - page numbers tend to distract me, and I start calculating how much I've read and how much I have to read and how long it's taken and will take!

It's also good for travelling - I love to read and used to take several books with me whenever I went on holiday, which can make the suitcase rather heavy! Obviously the Kindle is way lighter and you're taking thousands of books with you wherever you go. :-)
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I have a nook, and I LOVE it. If I had the paper book for everything I had on my nook, I would need a separate house just for books... I take it EVERYWHERE, it's more durable than books are.

Now, on top of the nook, I have shelves and shelves of books, and enjoy the feel of a book in my hands, the smell of a book, ETC, but I LOVE that I can take a library of books with me wherever I go.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have a Kindle and a Sony and love them both. I read so many books I had no where to keep them any longer... now they are on my computer. The Sony is wonderful - you can borrow books right from the library on it as well. My kids are both addicted to this feature. The Kindle is all Amazon only which is fine since they sell almost everything, I far prefer the Sony for the software on it and the Library borrowing feature. The new Kindle Paperwhite looks really good though and I have to admit and the price is nice. I would not every use an ipad or Kindle fire as a reader though - too much eye strain.
  • kdougherty12
    Options
    I LOVE my old school kindle, use it all the time!!! I rent most of my kindle books through my local library on Overdrive, it's awesome, plus there are always lots of great free books available!
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love my E-reader, BUT! I love books. The smell, the feel, turning pages. I have a process I go through when I get a new book. I look at the cover art, read the flaps on the inside, author bio, prologs, if there is one. I enjoy reading a BOOK. And although I do use my E-reader, I will continue to buy books, just because...
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Love my Kindle. Service was great when it got zapped by a "scanner" through the airport. (Um ... I'm not taking mine through security in the future, for the record).

That is something to consider, as I read a lot when I travel. Was it zapped because it was "on"? I thought electronics were safe to place through scanners at security, or at least they tell you it is safe.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I love my books an also my e-reader. Using it mostly when travelling.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have the iPad 2 with wifi only. I really like it. I set on the porch to read, so it's not in direct sunlight, so I can't speak to that. I use it more now than anything and hardly ever get on my computer. I added the Kindle app recently, but haven't used it yet. I am reading some books i had via the Apple app.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I was very anti e-readers at first. I like having a book. Then the more I went to best buy & target and played with them, the more curious I became. I got a $50 amazon gift card so I got the $79 kindle and LOVE it. I am so glad I got it. It can hold so many books. It's light weight. I can even run on the treadmill and read, unlike with books. It fits in my purse, which isn't always true for some books.

I also have the kindle app on my phone but I don't like it nearly as much. I don't like the back light. I much prefer the e-ink. It seems more like real books. I can read the kindle outside without glare while I wait for the bus. I would definitely recommend. And go to best buy and look at them, feel them etc.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    Options
    I absolutely adore my nooks (I have 3) I started with the original nook a couple years ago, then upgraded to the nook simple touch, and just recently upgraded again to the nook glow. I love how portable it is, ever carry around a 1,000 page book in your purse? Not fun! My local library uses overdrive to lend e-books and they have tons of books, including new best sellers!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    YES!!! An e-reader is a wonderful device. I have a K2 and a Kindle Fire. I love them both. The K2 is perfect for reading, I love the eink screen. It is very easy to read, indoors or outside in bright light. I got a great booklight for reading at night. One advantage is the book light has to cover only one page, instead of two pages with a regular book. AND it is so easy to borrow books from the library or buy new books, you don't have to go anywhere. Through Amazon I have gotten thousands of free books, and have borrow a ton from my library. My spending on books has dropped significantly.

The Fire is harder to read on, but is a great device for media consumption-- instant videos, checking email, browsing the internet. I found I can only read on it for about an hour before I need a break.

If you have text to speech on your e device (not all versions have it) and you are reading while on a treadmill or elliptical, you can turn on the TTS, turn the volume down or off, and then it automatically turns the pages for you while you are exercising.

Amazon's customer service is wonderful!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    Options
    Love my Kindle. Service was great when it got zapped by a "scanner" through the airport. (Um ... I'm not taking mine through security in the future, for the record).

That is something to consider, as I read a lot when I travel. Was it zapped because it was "on"? I thought electronics were safe to place through scanners at security, or at least they tell you it is safe.

I've flown with my nook at least 12 times in the last year and never had a problem :) I never power it all the way off going through security.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this. I am just finishing college classes in 2 weeks. I LOVE reading. I am thinking about buying one type. I haven't thought about what type to get or if I would like it. But, everyone that I know that loves to read and has one says they are wonderful.
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hate E-readers in principle - give me the smell and feel of a real book any day! But I grudgingly admit that I like them in practice! Having been on holiday and able to take multiple books that take up no room is worth the loss of sensation. I use Kindle on my ipad and iphone and love the way it syncs to my latest reading place between the two. Also, I wouldn't necessarily carry a book about with me but having the kindle app on my phone I always have something to read when I'm stuck in situations that require waiting around.

But I think I'm still a "Real" book person at heart!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid reader and a few years ago I never dreamed I would enjoy one. But I bought the Kindle when the prices finally went down and love it. I don't read all my books on it. Books such as exercise and fitness books are better in the original format. But fiction books and most non-fiction if not used as a reference are very enjoyable on an e-reader. I also like the fact it has text to speech. So if you're say washing dishes and wish you could read - you can! Just set it to text to speech and it reads to you. I think you'd enjoy it. And getting new books instantly is a thrill.

Bad thing is you don't have a physical book to sell when you're finished. So I guess in a way it's a bit more expensive. And you don't have a room full of books. I love books and keep a lot in my home but there are some books that are pretty much a one-time read.

Give it a try.
  • Rope_Jumper
    Options
    My wife loves her Kindle...I'll stick with my Ipad.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    "It's the mental furniture that matters".
    The Way We Read Now
    By DWIGHT GARNER

THE case against electronic books has been made, and elegantly, by many people, including Nicholson Baker in The New Yorker a few years ago. Mr. Baker called Amazon’s Kindle, in a memorable put-down, “the Bowflex of bookishness: something expensive that, when you commit to it, forces you to do more of whatever it is you think you should be doing more of.”

The best case I’ve seen for electronic books, however, arrived just last month, on the Web site of The New York Review of Books. The novelist Tim Parks proposed that e-books offered “a more austere, direct engagement” with words. What’s more, no dictator can burn one. His persuasive bottom line: “This is a medium for grown-ups.”

I’ve been trying to become more of a grown-up, in terms of my commitment to reading across what media geeks call “platforms” (a word that’s much sexier when applied to heels), from smartphones to e-readers to tablets to laptops.

It’s a battle I may lose. I still prefer to consume sentences the old-fashioned and nongreen way, on the pulped carcasses of trees that have had their throats slit. I can imagine my tweener kids, in a few years, beginning to picket me for my murderous habits: “No (tree) blood for (narrative) oil.”

It’s time to start thinking, however, about the best literary uses for these devices. Are some reading materials better suited to one platform than another? Does Philip Larkin feel at home on an iPad, and Lorrie Moore on a Kindle? Can I make a Kay Ryan poem my ringtone? Will any gizmo make “The Fountainhead” palatable?

Books used to pile up by my bedside; sometimes it now seems that gadgets do, the standby power of their LED lights staring at me like unfed dogs. Let’s talk about these machines, and their literary uses, in order of size, from small to large.

The Smartphone

The smartphone has clearly been recent technology’s greatest gift to literacy. Carrying one obliterates one’s greatest fear: of being trapped somewhere — a train, the D.M.V., a toilet — with nothing whatsoever to read.

Most of what I devour on my phone is journalism: out-of-town newspapers and links gleaned from Twitter and Facebook. Ben Franklin would have liked this palm-size medium. He’s the founding father who said, “Read much, but not too many books.”

Franklin’s autobiography happens to be an ideal thing to have on your phone. It’s in the public domain, and thus free for the Kindle app. Here’s another unlikely choice: John Cheever’s “Journals,” the most underrated nonfiction book of the 20th century. Cheever’s entries are bite-size yet profound. They are aching when not outright grim; they’ll place the soul-killing events in your own life in context, and may even cheer you up.

I frequently seem to be scanning my iPhone in restaurants, while waiting to order or eating alone at the counter. I like to read about food before a meal; it sharpens the appetite and can lead to drooling. Two favorites are memoirs: “The Raw and the Cooked,” by Jim Harrison, my true north of food writers, and “Blood, Bones & Butter,” by Gabrielle Hamilton. Scrolling through Ms. Hamilton’s memoir, you’ll find this shrewd bit of advice: “Be careful what you get good at doin’ ’cause you’ll be doin’ it the rest of your life.”

Keep an audio book or two on your iPhone. Periodically I take the largest of my family’s dogs on long walks, and I stick my iPhone in my shirt pocket, its tiny speaker facing up. I’ve listened to Saul Bellow’s “Herzog” this way. The shirt pocket method is better than using ear buds, which block out the natural world. My wife tucks her phone into her bra, on long walks, and listens to ****ens novels. I find this unbearably sexy.

E-Readers

More fetching than a girl with a dragon tattoo has always been a girl with a Penguin Classic. With e-books, you have no idea what anyone is reading. This is an incalculable loss, not just to fleeting crushes but to civilization.

That said, e-readers like Amazon’s Kindle strike me as the most intimate, and thus sexiest, of these devices. They’re the Teddy Pendergrass of platforms. On most, the text isn’t backlit, and thus trying too hard, always a turnoff. You are less inclined to cheat on one — that is, to read e-mail or surf the Web. In reading, like love, fidelity matters.

Because e-books don’t have covers, teenagers may find it easier to consume the books some parents used to confiscate — “Forever,” by Judy Blume, “Flowers in the Attic,” by V. C. Andrews. Their parents will think they are playing Angry Birds.

I’m an admirer of Jonathan Franzen, the gifted novelist who has been outspoken about his dislike of electronic books. But if you aren’t a fan of Mr. Franzen’s, I would guess that reading his novels on a Kindle, a device he loathes, might be considered a literary form of hate sex.

E-readers, excellent for singles — short, novella-length books — are also the platform to turn to when going long, when it’s time to finally pick up Roberto Bolaño’s “2666” or Thomas Pynchon’s “Gravity’s Rainbow” or William Gaddis’s “The Recognitions.” (Shop local, when you can. Ask your local independent bookseller about buying e-books through them.)

The iPad

The iPad, for me, is thus far the place to toss the kind of big nonfiction books I’m probably going to attentively skim rather than read — Walter Isaacson’s Steve Jobs biography, for example, or “Reading for My Life: Writings, 1958-2008,” by the superb cultural critic John Leonard.

I like, too, that some of these nonfiction books offer electronic footnotes that take you straight to a source. Those sources are sometimes much better than the book you are holding. There are often more unusual things to click. The iPad app for Jack Kerouac’s “On the Road,” for example, is a sensorium of maps and timelines and other things, in addition to the text. “Whither goes thou, America,” he writes, here as in the paper version, “in thy shiny car in the night?”

I’m not sold on these kinds of add-ons, lovely as they are. If I want TV, I have one. But I can imagine a young person being wooed. Art books, too — many of them are available free — are a treat on the iPad. The clarity is breathtaking, like a snort of some visual drug.

I’ve tried poetry on each of these platforms: Larkin, ****inson, Philip Levine, Amy Clampitt. It’s not happening, at least not for me. There’s not enough white space, nor silence. The poems seem shrunken and trapped, like lobsters half-dead in a supermarket glass pen, their claws rubber-banded. Poems should be printed on paper, or carved onto the dried husks of coconuts, so one can hoard them.

The one bit of verse that charmed me, when read on the iPad, was Clive James’s brilliant and witty “The Book of My Enemy Has Been Remaindered.” This poem forces you to wonder: What will remainders look like in our digital future? Where’s the 99-cents bin going to be?

You can’t read an e-book in the tub. You can’t fling one across the room, aiming, as Mark Twain liked to do, at a cat. And e-books will not furnish a room.

Writing in The Times in 1991, Anna Quindlen declared, “I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.”

I am so down with that. But it’s the mental furniture that matters.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada, and our main book store is either Amazon.ca or Chapters (Indigo). I see they are doing preorders for the Kobo Glo right now for early October, and it looks promising. I would probably go with it or Sony for the library rental feature, and since Chapters sells it, I would definitely be able to get books for it.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook from Barnes and Nobel and absolutely love it! I got the entry level reader two years ago and just upgraded to the Nook Tablet. I did not think I would like it before I tried it but now I am totally hooked! Finish a book at 11:00 p.m. and want to shop for another one, no prioblem just go to shop. Need a word defined, no need for digging out the dictionary just put your finger on the word and you get the definition. Want to highlight a passage, you can do that with the swipe of your finger. You can change font type, size and orintation to fit your taste. You can lend books in your library to friends with a Nook. I purchased the book cover for my Nook so it would "feel" more like holding a real book but the tablet fits so perfectly in my hand I have never used it. Shop around to see what fits you and your needs but I am one guy that will never go back.
  • lunatikchik
    lunatikchik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been reading on Nook 1st edition for years, I absolutely love it! Every Friday B&N has Free Fridays... they pick out a free book, and then other readers post what they've found for free.

I am the admin for the Facebook Page of Free Nook Books
    https://www.facebook.com/NookBooksThatIFindThatAreFree
    we have 1500+ fans so far and we share free books there.

:)

and my husband has a kindle
    :)