Your diet is not a test, DON'T CHEAT!

Options
I see a lot of people on my friends list who have trouble with bad eating on the weekends. And it kind of aggravates me. Because they have so much potential and they could do so well with their weight loss if they just stayed on track. Sure, everyone has bad days, but the weekend is not a "get out of jail free" card! You can't just do well all week, and then say "oh it's okay to have a snack today, or it's okay to go to a chinese buffet tonight". I'm not sure what kind of diet everyone is on, but on my diet, cheating all weekend is not allowed. So I stick to the plan, and when my Tuesday weigh in comes around, I always see amazing results. Because this is a lifestyle change. This is my lifestyle change, it has become a habit. It is not something that I cheat on, and it is definitely not a test. I just don't get why you would waste a whole week of good work for one weekend of bad meals because it's what you want in the moment, but it's not doing your body any good.

It all comes down to one simple question: HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

Replies

• tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    that's why i never call it a diet. i allow myself the occasional indulgence because otherwise i'll binge on it. once in a while WILL NOT HURT YOU IN THE LONG RUN. and i proved that this weekend.
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    that's why i never call it a diet. i allow myself the occasional indulgence because otherwise i'll binge on it. once in a while WILL NOT HURT YOU IN THE LONG RUN. and i proved that this weekend.

I call it a lifestyle change, but some people call it a diet. I'm not saying that once in a while will not hurt you at all, but I see friend after friend doing it. kinda makes me sad :/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You do things your way, everyone else does things their way. Neither is "right".

In my world, never having a treat day or Chinese Buffet just doesn't work. To each their own. I've been maintaining for five years, so I don't stress it too much.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    As long as you have an overall deficit, you will lose weight. Sorry if it bugs you that people are enjoying themselves - as long as its working for them, I don't see the issue.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i agree =D well done on your weight loss thou x

i do have bad days or days when i eat what i want like today my dinner i wanted was higher in cals so i just had a nibble at lunch time that way i didnt go over my calories.

i do belive having days off is important but not every weekend i use to do low carb and after loosing 50lb i couldnt stick to it anymore and thats y i joined mfp im still loosing weight just not as fast =D
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good for you for never having a bad day! But if you ever do and you want to feel like crap, you can just re-read what you wrote there.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    and thats why i dont call it cheating. because in my life, theres going to be all you can eat chinese buffets, and kids birthday parties and drunken binges on occasion. it is my lifestyle, im just more aware now and keep an eye on things instead of just doing stuff like that all the time.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It's interesting because I treat weekends like any other day. I don't usually eat out/do anything special. But I will eat what I want on special occasions dagnabbit lol because they only come a few times a year ;)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of diet everyone is on, but on my diet, cheating like that is not allowed.
    Sounds like your "diet" sucks! I'll stick with mine.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I calorie cycle to accommodate the weekend treats. It's working for me far more effectively than 'being good' all week as I would inevitably cave at some point through self denial. Allowing for the extra intake at the weekend has finally broken the back of my 3 month plateau.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    well I don't " cheat" b/c nothing is off limits to me

I still eat McDonalds, chips, sodas, candy .. just in moderation
    and I am losing just fine

I have done the whole "eat only healthy" lost a bunch of weight fast, only to regain double .. this time, I have made changes over all, but haven't cut anything out, and I am losing weight without depriving myself ..

I don't see what the problem is, about having a treat every now and then, now of course if you eat over your maintance calories everyday then you will gain weight, but not if you do it in moderation, now with that said, you may gain a lil water weight for a day or 2, but that is nothing that a lil extra water can't fix

:drinker:
    just my 2cents, I will back out now, have a good day :flowerforyou:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I pre-earn my chinese buffet, sushi binge, ben and jerry night. I plan it and go hiking that day, eat light and save up for whatever. It is good to feel that you can eat anything your heart desires if you earn it.
    If it is going to be long term everyone has to figure out what works for them.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    While of course i appreciate your points, I have to admit to being one of the people you speak of. I eat as well as i can during the week, and i tend to relax things a bit over the weekend. I haven't really found it has done me much harm. I'm losing steadily, i feel absolutely fine energy wise and i'm losing inches. I know if i didn't go off track on the weekends i would probably lose a bit more weight a bit quicker but i'm not in a hurry. Plus, having the odd off-day helps me to stay on track.

I guess it's just different strokes for different folks...?

Well done you for staying so motivated though!! If it works for you- great!
    Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Jx
  • JRC41
    Options
    Everyone loses weight different, TO EACH HIS OWN!!!
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of diet everyone is on, but on my diet, cheating like that is not allowed.
    Sounds like your "diet" sucks! I'll stick with mine.

I mean for two to three days straight or one cheat snack every day.... My diet doesn't suck, I have a cheat day, but Friday, Saturday, Sunday, is still part of your week, and you can't just give up your lifestyle change because you want all of this yummy food that's thrown in front of you. I was just sharing my opinion. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    TRUTH!!! NIcely said OP!!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I call it a lifestyle change, but some people call it a diet. I'm not saying that once in a while will not hurt you at all, but I see friend after friend doing it. kinda makes me sad :/
    So if only ONE friend were doing it, rather than friend after friend, would you still be sad? No offense, but you kinda sound jealous. You said in you OP that if you cheat, you'll gain weight. I doubt it, but if that's how you feel, no wonder you're so bothered by other people cheating.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow, if it bothers you that much then just "unfriend" them!

Just because you are angry that you are not allowing yourself some slack every once in a while does NOT mean that everyone else doesn't get to.

I will use my 4 year old's favorite saying..."You are not the boss of me". :smile:

In all seriousness though, you anger makes me think maybe you either need to loosen your reins a bit or just unfriend these people that you are jealous of.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Um, I lost 40 pounds 8 years ago -- I have maintained that entire weight loss -- I've lost 17 more here on MFP. I have a few vanity I'd like to drop eventually.

Guess what? I eat what I want. I drink what I want. I don't let unrealistic ideals dominate my journey because well, that would suck.

But good luck to you. :drinker:
  • spiralz
    spiralz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These are all personal journeys so if other people are cheating it's kind of irrelevant really as long as your happy with your progress that's all that matters surely?

i love having a binge day! then i "beast" myself with a good long run the next day, works for me.......