Replies

• Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ummm... because it's DELICIOUS :love:
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have ridiculous amounts of added sugar like cow's milk.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    does anyone ever make instant pudding with it? Like Jello pudding. I love the sugar free chocolate but a whole cup made with %2 milk is 192 calories. I hate the taste of milk so maybe I really should give almond milk a try.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I tried it because people said it's good. I don't drink glasses of it, but I love it in cereal. Vanilla almond milk. And few calories, more calcium.
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I drink it because my body doesn't like regular milk and it's very tasty!
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like it in cereal, it's less calories, more calcium, I am trying to cut out a lot of my dairy, and it has a much longer shelf life so I'm not throwing milk away.
    Besides, who wants to drink all those hormones and antibiotics?
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Besides my lactose intolerance, I love the taste of almond milk. It even makes bland cereals taste like they have a bit of sweetness to them. There are less calories than cow's milk per serving, and more calcium per serving! Whats not to like? :bigsmile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dairy (as my food diary will attest). But I drink almond milk (in addition to skim) because almond milk is lower in carbs, and I am supposed to be limiting those! Almond milk means I can still eat oatmeal, and I can save carbs for yummy (and healthy) things like fruit!
  • Bastiencade
    Options

The majority of sweetened ones actually do have a large about of sugars. It's best to buy the unsweetened brands and sweeten them yourself. You can use honey dates/agave/honey or you can use pure maple syrup like I do. Just about a tablespoon per every 4 cups.
  • I love it because it is delicious. I drink the Silk Lite. It has no cholesterol compared to 20 in 2% milk, no saturated fat compared to 3 in 2% milk, 4 grams of sugar compared to 12 grams in 2% milk, 60 calories versus 120 in 2% milk, 1.5 g fat compared to 5 g fat in 2% milk.

It is a win-win and comes in many flavors. Try it, you might be surprised.
  • MizCJ84
    Options

The majority of sweetened ones actually do have a large about of sugars. It's best to buy the unsweetened brands and sweeten them yourself. You can use honey dates/agave/honey or you can use pure maple syrup like I do. Just about a tablespoon per every 4 cups.

Agreed. I was referring to unsweetened almond milk only. I actually enjoy the taste of it unsweetened and never add anything sweet to it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Cow's milk doesn't have ADDED sugar....it has lactose, a natural disaccharide of glucose and galactose.
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    Agreed. I was referring to unsweetened almond milk only. I actually enjoy the taste of it unsweetened and never add anything sweet to it.

The majority of people I know drink the regular and assume it's completely healthy. I love the unsweetened in cereal and smoothies but when it comes to drinking it plain (which is how I mostly consume it) I have to have a bit of sugar in mine. It just tastes bland to me for some reason.
  • MizCJ84
    Options

The majority of people I know drink the regular and assume it's completely healthy. I love the unsweetened in cereal and smoothies but when it comes to drinking it plain (which is how I mostly consume it) I have to have a bit of sugar in mine. It just tastes bland to me for some reason.

Oh ok sorry I see what you're saying. I am desperately trying to eradicate all added sugar from my diet, so I ALWAYS check labels. I would never buy the sweetened almond milk because it would defeat my purpose. I really do like to drink it plain, although I wasn't crazy about it when I first tried it. It might just be an acquired taste, and probably because I'm getting more used to not eating or drinking anything sweet.
  • MizCJ84
    Options

Cow's milk doesn't have ADDED sugar....it has lactose, a natural disaccharide of glucose and galactose.

Ok you're correct. My apologies. It still has way more sugar than I'm comfortable with consuming. Almond milk has much less sugar, and this makes me :smile: .
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ok...
    I tried Almond Milk today.
    It tastes like crap.
    #truestory.
    :laugh:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    because i'm not a baby or a cow that needs milk.

and cow's milk is NASTY

humans shouldn't drink cow's milk.

Plus it's low calorie

I am not a baby almond. :wink:
  • lmhk
    lmhk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond milk is a low glycemic alternative to other dairy/no-dairy options like 2% milk, soy milk, rice milk which all have high sugar content AND it has more calcium than milk. 0 grams of sugar per cup versus 12 grams of sugar per cup of organic 2%. Hope that helps.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i put in in my smoothie just half a cup just to get some calcium, can't drink regular milk and find this tastes good
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Am vegan -

Tastes creamier to me than light soy, with fewer calories, about the same fat, good calcium. I only drink the unsweetened; use the vanilla for coffee (foams up great for lattes) and original for smoothies.