E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had the Kindle with the keyboard (just black and white) for a year and now recently got a Kindle Fire.

It took me a few weeks to get into reading on the Kindle after reading books for so long, but after that, I wouldn't go back. I gained so much room in my house from letting go of books that are not the ones that mean the most to me.

I like the Kindle Fire for reading at night in bed or in a car, but after a while, the backlight hurts my eyes and I have to turn down the brightness. There are so many ways to get free books out there, that I find I am actually reading more.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have the basic Kindle which they just lowered to $69 with the lighted book cover. I love it, I do a lot more reading since I got it, is definitely easier on my eyes than a book. My husband discovered it too and loves it - I am buying him his own for his birthday in a few weeks, I am tired of sharing! Definitely one of the best purchases I have made.
  • JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my new Nook Tablet, when my kids let me use it. Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn on it in a record 3 days.. Also recommend that book. :)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I love my kindle. I prefer the e -ink technology. Very easy on the eyes for reading for a longer period of time. I have a Galaxy 2 tablet where I read my books from their kindle app but, the bright backlight causes eye fatigue & I am able to read or shorter period if time
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am planning to get a kindle fire sometime soon. I resisted the idea of getting an ereader until now because all you could do was read books or magazines on them and I just do not buy that many books and I do not have the time to read that I would like to have. Now that the price on the original Fire has gone down and I can get apps, browse the internet ect I want one! I am also planning to put books on it. I can get library books too.

I am kind of sad though that brick and mortar bookstores like Borders are closing down. I do enjoy going to bookstores and libraries and seeing all those books. I LOVE to read. It is just that most of my reading is done on the computer or ipod touch these days as I do not currently have an ereader or a smart phone and do not have a lot to spend on books.I also love to go to thrift stores for books.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle, and I love love love it, had it for nearly 2 years and use it every day, love reading while sitting on my exercise bike!!
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far.....I too have a huge book collection that takes up so much space, so that would be nice. I have a birthday coming up at the end of the month, so I might check into a few more of these in detail and drop a hint or two my husband, since he never knows what to buy me. :wink:

So the e-ink are good for outdoor reading? And avoid backlit screens if I do any reading outside.

I have the Kindle Touch & love it. If I am not reading it, you will find it in my purse. I take it EVERYWHERE with me. I got this one as I love to read outdoors. I can read in the direct sunlight with no problem at all!! I do still buy books (sometimes) but have found that I don't miss holding the book as much as I thought I would!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I also love to read/ I bought a nook, the color one, used it but found it to big. I then bought the cheap kindle, just 79.00 and love it. Kindle is coming out with a new one for 119.00 which looks great. Dont waste your money on the color one. I love my kindle.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I also love to read/ I bought a nook, the color one, used it but found it to big. I then bought the cheap kindle, just 79.00 and love it. Kindle is coming out with a new one for 119.00 which looks great. Dont waste your money on the color one. I love my kindle.

The basic Kindle is now down to $69.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I was resistant, but I love having a Nook.

Not that I'd ever read pirated material or anything :wink: but I've "heard" that you can often find free ebooks online if you search for .epub files.

No need to pirate at all, I don't have my e-reader yet, but I am sure that if I'm buying it it will be the kindle version so I grabbed the kindle for PC app and via Amazon's own promotions I've got over 3000 books... or titles I guess as SOME of the "books" would basically be a pamphlet like you'd pick up at a hardware store to get a bit more info on something say like square foot gardening, just a little primer so you'd get the more complete version if it interested you. They give away ebooks free every day. Just on Friday I downloaded $350 worth at their normal kindle prices on one day and $145 yesterday... all for $0 as Amazon does do promos of various topics

Project Gutenberg also has TONS of books that are out of copyright meaning free available for various ereaders.

The part I "don't" like about the ereaders is the info that can be grabbed... how often do you read? how long do you sit and read when you do so? how long does it take you to read a book by X author? compared to Author Y? do you read the steamy passages over and over and over... you know the stuff that they just can't GET from a book. That and seeing as it's all on the cloud anyway if they decide to turn off your access to a certain title they can and have.
  • slsherwood51
    slsherwood51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I own the Kindle Keyboard, the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Fire. I read books on my Kindle Keyboard. I love how light it is and how many books it holds. I use my Kindle Fire to play games and read magazines and photo-heavy books; I also like how quickly the Kindle Fire loads, so I can get online fast. I frequently use it to log my food on MFP since I downloaded the MFP app to my kindle fire.

The Kindle Touch (two of them) belong to my kids, and they love them.

If you do get an e-reader, you can find a lot of really great books for free. I follow PixelofInk.com to learn about free and low-cost books. I have so many books available to read; it's great.

Oh, and I also signed up for Audible.com and download audiobooks to my Kindle. I plug it into my car's stereo when I'm driving; I have about an hour commute (one way), and I prefer listening to books than the radio.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Love my kindle - currently have approx 1500 books on it - definitely couldn't carry those around with me if they were real books. Great for reading in sunlight (I have a Kindle keyboard). I have an iPad 2 and use that if I am reading in low light but other than that the Kindle all they way for reading. Had no problems getting used to it and I like that I can alter the font size so that if I have my contacts in I can make the text bigger (varifocal glasses) and when I am wearing glasses can make the font smaller.

Bit worried about comments regarding going through airport security with one as I am going on hols soon and it will be in my hand luggage - any advice on this would be appreciated.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bit worried about comments regarding going through airport security with one as I am going on hols soon and it will be in my hand luggage - any advice on this would be appreciated.

I put mine in the bin separately like it was a laptop, didn't have any problems.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and it's great for reading on the subway when I have someplace to go. I would buy an iPad and use the kindle app on that because I am a dyed in the wool apple person. ;-)
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My son bought me a Kindle for christmas last year and I love it. He was deployed to Afghanistan at that time and they all had Kindlles and shared their books with eachother. Well I now have over 500 books to read as he shared them with me which is a really great thing!
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I got a Nook as soon as they came out, and I loved it. Now, I have a tablet and would recommend that over any e-reader. E-readers have internet capabilities that people enjoy, but if that is what you want, you might as well go ahead and get a tablet.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love my Kobo personally.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I bought a Kobo ereader about 3 weeks ago. A friend downloaded a number of books for me that she had in her library and I have to tell you I absolutely love it!! My boyfriend bought me a zippered case and I just toss it in my work bag. I read on the bus or waiting for the bus, on lunch and before bed. The only thing with the Kobo is that it doesn`t have a back light so you need either a clip on light or be by a light in the night. I`m not an electronic kind of person but I have to say it`s one of my best investments so far. :smile:
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got a hand-me-down nook (the old, original one) last year, and I wasn't sure I would like it. I love the feel of holding a real book. Turns out that it is AMAZING for traveling!! I'm so happy I have it... I use it whenever I go on trips orrrrr when I hear about a book that sounds so good I literally can't wait to go buy it at the bookstore. It's awesome being able to buy a book from your couch! :) That being said, I agree with the people who said don't bother to spend extra $$ on the color version, I like my old black and white.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I really wanted a nook tablet, but I got the new iPad for mothers day this year. I love reading on it. I thought I would have trouble looking at the screen but it is actually better for me because I can adjust font size and brightness. I have probably read 40 books since I got it. I usually rent them from the library e-rental or the free Friday option for nook.