I have a theory about running...

Options
I've heard plenty of "hardcore" runners say that they don't actually enjoy the running itself, they only really enjoy the racing or the accomplishment of the mileage. I've also noticed that the entire Nike+ community averages about 3 miles per run. I have a theory that running starts to get boring, painful, or otherwise un-enjoyable after that 4th mile or so.

Runners, any thoughts?

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am an ultra runner (does that qualify me as hardcore?) and I thoroughly enjoy the process of training and racing. Training and racing ultras requires a lot of time and effort. I wouldn't do it if it were was "boring, painful, or otherwise unenjoyable after that 4th mile" as you put it. That's not to say that it's all sunshine and puppy dogs 24/7 but the good days vastly outnumber the bad ones.

As far as Nike+ I'm doing my best to throw off the average. ;)

Total Distance Last 30 days: Me - 244 miles, Women my age - 28.4 miles, Nike+ Community - 23.8 miles.

LOL
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread, but here's how I feel about running: http://mentalshrapnel.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/run-running-runner/ :)

And, while not addressed in the blog, I've never had the distance of my run make any difference on how I feel about the run itself.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly new runner - just completed c25k last spring and have continued to run through the summer. I have enjoyed it for the most part, and started a 10k program to try to increase my distance and give my runs more structure over the summer. But I got about two weeks from the end of the program in mid-August, and I stopped.

I had a couple of setbacks, a summer cold and things that came up that just kept me from getting out there, but when I was doing c25k, I didn't let anything keep me from my running schedule - I worked around rain, fog, school schedules, even jury duty! :tongue: I realized with the longer distances, I wasn't looking forward to, or enjoying my runs.

A couple of weeks later, school started for my kiddo, and with the heat (we are STILL near 100º - hello summer? Beat it! LOL), early morning runs are my only option, so I dropped to just running 2 miles before I take her to school. And I LOVE them! And on the weekends I've been back to running 3+ miles around sunrise.

Mostly I blame the heat. When fall finally does arrive in my neck of the woods, or maybe even over the winter, I may go for the 10k training again and see if the temp makes a difference for me.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying the shorter runs at sunrise, and challenging myself to improve my speed - and it's working!
  • adietron
    Options
    As far as Nike+ I'm doing my best to throw off the average. ;)

Total Distance Last 30 days: Me - 244 miles, Women my age - 28.4 miles, Nike+ Community - 23.8 miles.

NICE. Thanks for the input ;)
  • adietron
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread, but here's how I feel about running: http://mentalshrapnel.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/run-running-runner/

This is a great read, thanks for posting it!
  • WCSU1987
    Options
    I become too preoccupied on my long runs a lot. Not sure if that means I get bored. Like to see where I can go and find stone place new. Find neat places for pictures like a scavenger hunt. Though I haven't done a 4 or 6 hour run in awhile. Been doing some 3 hour runs. Profile picture is one I took on these runs. When I do my normal loop and hour run it can get repetive. However, have some new challenges for these runs involving my tempo.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Not true for me. I find the first two miles the hardest. After that, I can just keep going. I race better at longer distances as well.
    The only reason I end up doing 3 miles often is the time crunch, not lack of enjoyment.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a "hardcore runner." I average between 30-40 miles a week . I absolutely love running. I agree with 3dogsrunning that the initial first two miles are the hardest...at least for me. My average run is about 9 miles. It is on once I put on my IPOD. I listen to the music, zone out and enjoy the experience. My long runs....15-23 milers are the hardest and can be repetitive since I'm training for my first marathon but I'm never really bored...just anxious to finish.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm def. not a hard core runner by any means(I just finished C25K not too long ago) but I enjoy a longer run.

C25K trains you to run for 3 miles only.. and yesterday I ran for 4 miles. It wasn't hard, painful or boring... and it really helped me clear my head.

I mainly run what my schedule allows.. and if thats two miles, then it's two miles. If it's a longer run, then it's a longer run.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I find that once you break into a comfortable fitness base with running, it becomes much more enjoyable.

When I was getting myself into decent shape-- I didn't enjoy it.

After I was able to run 3-4 miles, relatively easily, then up the mileage -- I found it to be relaxing and a great way to de-stress after a day of sitting in the office.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Running for me physically hurts till about the 3.5 mile mark as I work out the kinks in the joints and warm up the muscles, but after that the endorphins kick in and I'm gold. I enjoy the run from then on. This is whether it's a training run or the race itself. At the moment, I'm doing a lot of hills and even though I'm in pain for majority of the monster ones, there's something satisfying about conquering them.

Edited to add: I use the miCoach app on my iPhone and I'm doing 20-30 miles per week at the moment.
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5k/3 miles is a really popular running distance, so many people do couch to 5k apps and it is an achievable distance for a lot of people so I imagine this is likely to skew the results in favour of a 3 mile run. Also, i tend to find that the more people get into their running, the less they use gadgets or buy more complex gadgets e.g. garmin gps so I can't imagine as many long distance runners use nike+ as short distance runners.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't prescribe to your theory. I love running, regardless of the distance. I run between 55 and 80 miles a week. Sometimes, the run is painful, but I enjoy it and embrace it because I know it's part of the process.

Running is meditation time. I have hours to sort through all the goings on in my life. I have time to pray. I have time to listen. I get in touch with how I am being. It's cathartic on many levels.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The fourth mile is rarely boring for me. That's when it's really getting good. The first mile usually sucks for me. After that I love it. I love running while I'm actually running and I love the way I feel when I'm done. I'm still relatively new to running and don't consider myself hardcore (I have a hard time calling myself a "runner") - I started C25K last November and finished it on January 1 of this year. Since then I've run a few 5Ks and a 10K and have another couple of races coming up including two half marathons. I ran 11.5 miles yesterday and could have kept going for at least another couple of miles but I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I certainly don't prescribe to your theory. I love running, regardless of the distance. I run between 55 and 80 miles a week. Sometimes, the run is painful, but I enjoy it and embrace it because I know it's part of the process.

Running is meditation time. I have hours to sort through all the goings on in my life. I have time to pray. I have time to listen. I get in touch with how I am being. It's cathartic on many levels.

All of this except about 1/4 the distance.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    i have a theory too: It's faster than walking.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.

This was me yesterday as well. I did 20 and for at least the last half, I was thinking about making pancakes. I made a batch when I got home and had 8 pancakes with butter, syrup and whipped cream!:laugh:
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love running I do, but while I'm actually running it is not an enjoyable thing lol I still have a lot of weight to lose and my fitness levels are not brilliant, I'm still only doing approx 2 miles but I'm getting there :)
  • sjohnny
    Options
    ...I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.

This was me yesterday as well. I did 20 and for at least the last half, I was thinking about making pancakes. I made a batch when I got home and had 8 pancakes with butter, syrup and whipped cream!:laugh:

I actually started smelling them at about mile 9 - seriously. I only got five though (kids thought they needed to eat some too) with butter and syrup - now I wished I'd had some whipped cream - and had been faster on the draw than the kids.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    i have a theory too: It's faster than walking.

Do you have any studies to support this?