Repairing your broken furnace (Metabolism)

Options

Replies

• swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike burning 600 to 700 calories a day for exercise. I have artificial knees so don't do an excess of walking because my orthopedic surgeon told me that the more I use my knees, the sooner they will have to be redone.:sick: I have over all bad joints...shoulders, hips etc so too much weight bearing exercise is not for me. The bike (I thought) was perfect for me, now not so sure about that and may explain why my weight loss is very slow combined with what I eat. (carb junkie)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is a very good article but it has one part that can be misleading and lead a reader into a very wrong direction.

The part about aerobics.

Most people who run for fitness are running 15 miles a week or less. At this mileage you are not in danger of catabolism (body taking calories from muscle) unless you are eating at a calorie level so low that you are borderline eating disorder levels. The article is not showing enough respect for exercising your most important muscle- your heart. Aerobics, as he calls it, are a wonderful way not just to improve our cardiopulmonary fitness but to burn calories and increase our energy levels. Caveat; it also improves our appetite so more discipline is involved. But, a sound cardio exercise plan coupled with a disciplined calorie plan, not forgetting about building muscle with strength training, is the ultimate combo in my opinion.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • breezy62037
    Options
    bump for later :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am confused, when I first come here I have learned that meal timing and meal frequency are myths and it's all about calories in -calories out+If it fits in our macro, and now this....? What to believe now. :indifferent:

not this article.

The primary rule of nutrient timing is that hitting you're daily macros is far more important than when they are consumed.

So if you eat a carb + fat meal but are in overall calorie deficit then you will gain weight?

Protein raises insulin also.

I believe another popular diet plan called carb back loading is nearly the exact opposite of this one. No carbs during the day and all at night. (See point 1 re nutrient timing)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    " While we've stressed that it's best to eat carbohydrates and carbohydrate meals in the first part of the day and eat healthy fats in the latter part of the day, we'd like you to eat protein with every meal. This is extremely important. (Examples of protein foods include all meats and fish, in addition to things like cottage cheese and milk.) "

It's actually the exact opposite of what you just said. Your body is more sensitive to insulin in the mornings, so you're better suited to eat your carbs in the afternoon. Which is why IF and CBL work so well.
  • joy31021
    Options
    bump
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    what if my body is sooo used to low calories that no matter what i eat.or when i eat it I wont loose weight...How to reverse this???
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, will try what it suggests and see what happens
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    *sigh

Strategies like this work for a lot of people, but have little to do with your insulin response (barring ailments like the beetus). It's certainly not the only way to 'repair your broken furnace'.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    what if my body is sooo used to low calories that no matter what i eat.or when i eat it I wont loose weight...How to reverse this???

eat more for a while. don't go overboard with carbs.
    and lift weights.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    Right now, I see people losing 50 pounds in 6 months, I, on the other hand lost 24. I am willing to mix up anything that helps move it along a little. I also found for ME, weights seem to do better than cardio(sweating till I drop) type excersise. My weight is in my core and the last place I lose it. SO, "good" carbs such as what?? in the morning and protein and good fats the rest of the day if I read it right.
    I am used to eating egg white omlets with veggies and a half slice of cheese with low fat whole grain toast, butter and sometimes a little dab of fruit preserve in the mornings so ditch that, and switch it up to what? The article said no cereal. I, for some reason can't stomach protein shakes have tried them and my stomach doesn't like them plus I get hungry again sooner it seems. Of course I think I used skim milk with them and really not a milk drinker.

I will say, years ago I tried the Michael Thurman 6 week body make over and it had me eating little meals every 3 hours or so, no oils or pasta of any kind, no mustard mayo or katchups,salt etc. It consisted of each meal of 2 oz protein, half of a potato,1/2 cup rice or yam,and veggie. Each time I ate.He had me using stretch bands and treadmill.
    I lost weight, but ran out of different ways to have and fix food. It got boring eating the same thing over and over. not to mention my sundays were filled preparing the stuff for the next week and I found certain things taste bad after freezing fresh food. My job is haircutting and when it was time to eat, it was hard to break away from a client to eat it. PLUS I could not see me doing this for the rest of my life.
    Thanks for this article I think its the closest I have seen to what worked for me with a little less extreme measures.
    Now if you could give me a good carb idea for the mornings..
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    Neat Article! Thanks!
  • katieb63
    katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks, interesting article.
  • GaidenJade
    Options
    Bump for later
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I needed. Am I the only one, however, that feels a bit lost in this? It seems like a lot to remember...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Meh.
    Ridden with Broscience thats been debunked already.
    Good article for the beginner though.

To "Restart" a slow metabolism all you need to do is eat more.
    Simple stuff.
    If you eat below TDEE its fat loss.
    If you eat too low you plateau eventually and need to eat more.

The BS about not eating carbs at night is simply BS.
  • tcoxchristmas
    tcoxchristmas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Great article.
    I follow something very similar to this from a book called The Metabolism Miracle.
    It's helpful for people like me with hypothyroidism and hashimotos.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!