Are you one of "Those" ex fatties!?

Options
13»

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think saying 'i don't really eat those' does sound a little bit like you are sticking your nose up at the doughnuts (and there's nothing wrong with that!) but in a situation where you have bought a load of doughnuts for others, I might have just said 'I'm so full', or 'i can't handle that much sugar at this time in the morning..it's a treat just for you guys' etc

it sounds like his response was defensive.
  • EuSaNaD
    Options
    Sounds like the guy was rude. You didn't do anything wrong. People who are defensive like that are usually projecting their own feelings. He probably felt guilty about eating a donut when someone else wasn't.

I completely agree with what you said!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So my stock response if my "No, thank you" is not accepted - "I have already had my fair share of x"... which honestly, is an honest answer.. I have had my fair share of donuts, bread, etc. I just used up my share earlier in life so now I need to leave it for others.

It works for me.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was never fat so I'm not any kind of ex-fatty but I am DEFINITELY preachy now when it comes to exercise, I sometimes have to stop myself because it even annoys me ;) My three sisters give me hell about it....
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a FFP - Former Fat Person.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was fat for a lot of years, and LOVED sweet things. When I made my lifestyle change, weight loss was #1 in my mind, so I avoided sweets for the most part, and no one really gave me a hard time about it. I'm at a different stage now... I'm at the point where I can enjoy dessert occasionally, and now people give me a hard time about it. I'll go to an all day meeting for work, grab dessert after lunch, and a few people like to put their 2 cents in about it. "Oh, are you sure you should be having that?" or "Is that allowed on your diet?" At first I responded with "I'm not on a diet," but now I respond with "Yup." It's weird how people feel like they need to comment on food choices, and that it is always negative. I have lost just shy of 80 lbs, look the best I have in my adult life, and have done it by making the right food choices while still enjoying eating, and don't really need people's uninformed opinions. It's life they think a piece of pie is going to make me fall off the wagon!
  • jenjen0214
    Options
    I am in a crazy position that I am accused of being one of "those" frequently. We have lots of outside meetings at our office, for which I have to provide lunches and snacks routinely. At a "generalized" request, I provided more healthy alternatives to the usual fare. At the same time I was in my process of losing a large amount of weight. Let's just say the healthier choice was not liked and I was accused of pushing my lifestyle choice on others....it was their suggestion. I apologized and took the high road. These days I order a little of each and when they ask me (sarcastically usually) if I am joining them on the unhealthy items, I simply decline and go for a short walk.

Others will try and make you feel bad, just keep smiling and going and make them look like the jerk for overreacting.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am a loud mouthed smart *kitten*, so I doubt the way I would respond would be at all helpful. :bigsmile:

However, I probably wouldn't have brought doughnuts in the first place. I'd have opted for a fruit bowl or something.

I agree, maybe share something healthy next time?
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was fat for a lot of years, and LOVED sweet things. When I made my lifestyle change, weight loss was #1 in my mind, so I avoided sweets for the most part, and no one really gave me a hard time about it. I'm at a different stage now... I'm at the point where I can enjoy dessert occasionally, and now people give me a hard time about it. I'll go to an all day meeting for work, grab dessert after lunch, and a few people like to put their 2 cents in about it. "Oh, are you sure you should be having that?" or "Is that allowed on your diet?" At first I responded with "I'm not on a diet," but now I respond with "Yup." It's weird how people feel like they need to comment on food choices, and that it is always negative. I have lost just shy of 80 lbs, look the best I have in my life, and have done it by making the right food choices while still enjoying eating, and don't really need people's uninformed opinions. It's life they thing a piece of pie is going to make me fall off the wagon!

Oh, how I understand THAT! The food police drives me absolutely crazy! Hubby has picked up on it recently, telling me just last night, "that's a big chicken breast; are you sure you should eat all of it?" Seriously?! *sigh*