"you'd be pretty if you were skinny"

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When I was fat I got told things like that, my personal favorite was the slightly more tactful "you have such a pretty face," although at least those people left the "too bad your fat" as an implicit rather than explicit message. However, it turns out that my moderately overweight face is a lot prettier than my healthy weight face (which actually looks kinda gaunt). You can't win. Some people are just jerks. Ignore them and do what you have to do.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    D-A-M-N!!! That's BOLD!!! I don't think I'd be able to come up with a quick come back, but I'd proably look at them like they grew a 3rd eye or something. Who says that kind of thing???

My blood boils just thinking about it.

You are lovely. . .regardless of your weight or what some clods seem to be willing to say about it. Lord help them if they ever gain weight!!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    That's a direct insult, in my eyes.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

I don't eat cake :angry:

It was all I could do not to pour a drink over his head.

Really should have poured your drink over his head!

I get the 'oh, you'd be so pretty if you didn't eat chocolate', I only eat chocolate if it's a gym day!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'd be hurt - pretty isnt only about the outside!!

But....I'd also use it as fuel to keep me on my journey!!

Sorry people have to be such jerks!! :(
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

I don't eat cake :angry:

It was all I could do not to pour a drink over his head.

You should have done it.
    Oh my god... you should have! Of course it's the sole purpose of all our lives to be attractive to every man we run into in pubs, right? I'm actually getting mad right now. People are so incredibly stupid!
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    The last time someone said that to me it was an elderly lady that was new to our church. I decided to look her dead in the eye and say "Aww, thanks! But you know what? I'm already pretty-losing weight would just make me skinnier." Boy did I make that lady MAD! But the other ladies that were waiting were amused!
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

eff them!
    they are derps.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Yep ..... and even after Ive lost weight people still occasionally tell me what a beautiful face I could have if my cheeks weren't so chunky

I :heart: your cheeks, Shan! They're adorable! You wouldn't be you without those cheeks. You are beautiful BECAUSE of them.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If someone said that to me i would be on a total downer
    It sounds like an insult disguised as a complement - I don't know if i could hold my tounge lol
    xx
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happens to me a lot.

It's not a compliment.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What a horrible thing to say to someone.

All I can say is that I'm thankful for my husband who loved me even when I was obese. He said I was always his pretty wife. He is glad I lost weight because it makes ME happy, but he gets mad if I disparage myself in any way about when I was fat. He always reminds me that I was always his lovely wife. I think I'm lucky to have him. :)
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've heard it a million times. Or the fat girl favorite for *kitten*: "You have a nice face."

I'd respond with, "I bet you'd be a nice person if you weren't so thick in the head."

In all seriousness, you're going to get it a lot because society says fat=ugly, but because you are a pretty person so, they feel it necessary to distinguish which part of you is attractive.

The people may or may not have meant it to hurt, but is it really so hard to say, "You're pretty." to a big girl without accounting for BMI?
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    489152120213163528.png
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Some lady told me this when I was 16! can you imagine how destroyed I was. Her exact words are burned in my head forever she said "You are so beautiful you could be a model if you just lost some weight" I was 16! she was a grown woman who says that to a kid! I feel for you I really do people need to learn to shut up
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    All the time. By friends and family, and some strangers
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    such a rude thing to say, i can see why people say take it as a compliment but i sure couldnt..punch the person in the face next time. x
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."

^^^^^^^ lol love it
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    omg!!!! I can't believe someone would have the guts to say that!!. Some people don't think before they talk! No wonder people are so critical of their own physical appearance!
    Well forget about it and continue on your plan! Even when you lose your goal weight, there will still be ugly comments cause people can be real jerks!!
  • jjennasmithh
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."

^^^