"you'd be pretty if you were skinny"

Options

Replies

• estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You know what, when they say that to you put on a big on smile an say 'really?you think so? thanks! I know I am pretty but to be more prettier is awesome' then look in the mirror an fix your hair then pat your shoulder an say 'good job'. Because they keep saying you look pretty if you were smaller, but if you think about it, they saying that they don't think you will get smaller so they know they hurting you..but guess what...when you do get smaller..you should walk back to them an go 'boy am i pretty or what..no wait hot..thanks for the motivating words you gave me before!' an see if they have anything to say because they are so slow...cause they think they hurting you now but when you get smaller, they can't say anything negative because now the roles reversed an now your hurting them cause you look better than them now an they see you as a threat! ;)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Heard it all my life from my family and random people. Friends never seemed to say those kinds of things. People don't think before they speak and sometimes it really hurts. I just move past this and now I'm blowing people away, and I'm still 33 pounds away from my goal. :)
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    Ive had this happen to me before and it really does piss me off to no extent. . .

ex: a girl about my age said " you'de look so much prettier if you were skinnier". . . so i said to her " youd be so much prettier if you were smarter and wore less make up looking like a *kitten*" and she shut up real quick. . .

I try not to let what people say influence my future BUT if they want to be idiotic and absent minded i have NO problem pointing out their flaws. . . . respect works both ways (even if its negative) and i only do it to show that the first person shouldnt have said what they did. . . . granted i get the "stacey, but ur stooping to their level". . . . no im not. . . im just showing them how stupid they really are and that they should keep their mouths shut. Beauty is on the inside. . . not int he form of rolls, extra chins, bingo fat arms, and anything else.
  • xoleanne
    xoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i get told i'm ugly all the time, it makes me feel like complete crap then i eat!

i'm a good weight for my age but i feel under pressure now to be 100lbs, that seems to be what the people want!

ugh they make me sick, if i were you, i'd of slapped them!
  • Ruthy420
    Ruthy420 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I'VE HEARD THIS? AND YES I'VE TAKEN IT AS AN INSULT TOO! I THINK PEOPLE JUST WANT TO MOTIVATE YOU BUT THEY SURE FIND AN INTERESTING WAY TO DO IT. APPARENTLY THERE ARE NO BEAUTIFUL HEAVY LADIES? WHICH IS BS, BECAUSE I SEE ALOT OF THIN AND NOT SO PRETTY AND ALOT OF HEAVY AND VERY PRETTY :-)
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    I would reply back...."Well I must be lucky. I can fix fat. You can't fix ugly". :):):)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly :)
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thats horrible. Some people need to stay quiet. There are plenty of ugly skinny people too. Just use it as motivation and show them how awesome you'll be!
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is an attempt at a compliment by a stupid person.

I would just ignore them.:yawn:
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Remember you can lose fat not ugly :)
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    i get told i'm ugly all the time, it makes me feel like complete crap then i eat!

i'm a good weight for my age but i feel under pressure now to be 100lbs, that seems to be what the people want!

ugh they make me sick, if i were you, i'd of slapped them!

Ifpeople are telling you your ugly they are only doing it because they know your gorgeous and that they themselves are ugly. . . FYI. . . hers a little advice for the future. . . dont give a crap what epople say. . . dont let it get to u. . u are ur own destiny and really the only thing that matters in life is that ur happy. . not that u please everyone by being skinny and pretty. . .

and not all hollywood stars are pretty/handsome. . . <3
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    "men with hair" Ha! Since my wife was pregnant with our first child I have had a crew cut. More hair is over rated.
    I'd be more handsome if I was skinnier and 25 years younger too. I have the pictures to prove it. :bigsmile:
    I used to joke that my wife likes me fat so other women won't hit on me. A twist of a joke from female comedians.
    But I am the only one that prevents me losing weight. And I decided to finally get out of my own way.
    I don't care what others think about my appearance. Enough so that I border on being a candidate for the TV show "What Not To Wear."
    Funny thing is when I was younger, thin, long hair and better looking, I was more obsessed with how I looked to others. It is a lot less expensive to shop for clothes when one doesn't give a damn what other people think. I can shop at JC Penney instead of Macy's. :laugh:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Some random guy in a Starbucks told me I would be gorgeous of I lost some weight. Then asked me out. I told him the equivalent of,apparently I am gorgeous enough without losing weight, and my self esteem isn't that low.

He actually ASKED YOU OUT after saying that? What a misguided a$$hat. Wow, lol. Good for you for turning him down :)
  • ginbookus
    Options
    Okay..
    so this has happened on two different occasions where I was in a public bathroom doing my make up or whatever and a lady has told me.
    "you would be beautiful if you were skinny"
    ......... i always take this as an insult though i'm not sure if it is.

today at work a lady came in and told me-
    "if you lost weight you'd look so pretty"

HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? for some reason it makes me feel so sad and ugly... I guess at the same time it's pushing me more to lose weight. I just don't know how to feel about it.

Wow, that is SO RUDE! I mean, it must mean you do have a beautiful face which is technically a compliment, but they're also essentially calling you fat to your face! I've never had anyone say that to me. Why can't they just say "Wow you're really pretty?" instead of that? If someone ever said that to me, I would give them a sarcastic 'thanks'. I mean I guess you shouldn't let it get to you but it is rude...
  • dragonflyjen
    dragonflyjen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can relate...

I've had the, "You'd be really pretty if you lost weight" from a buy who was pretty overweight himself...go figure!

I've also had, "You're a really good dancer for a fat chick!" Funnily enough this was from a guy who was actually trying to pick me up! Haha In case you're wondering, it didn't work lol.

Both times I wasn't even that overweight - probably a UK size 14. But some people just don't think how comments like these stay with you, and it's not easy for everyone to use it as motivation to change even if we want to.
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hate that comment.. family members say that to me, though they see it as tough love to get me motivated... I tell that to myself to keep pushing to be fit and lose the weight... I try to pay no attention to it if peope say that...
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ." Since when was being skinny a requirement for being considered pretty?

I agree with this!!! Beauty is not just what we see, but from the goodness that is our inner being.

I once had someone make a comment......my reply..."The saying you are what you eat......and I want others to think I am sweet....therefore I eat sweets."
    the person shut up. :grumble:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    That is a backhanded compliment. The person means that you ARE pretty now but you'd be more attractive if you were thinner. It's basically the "southern compliment"... "she's so overweight... bless her heart." This is someone's way of telling you they think you are overweight. As if you didn't know. :)

That said, there is a compliment in there. You have a pretty face. And frankly, beauty is on the inside, not the outside.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."

What she said LOL:tongue:
  • christinastokes3
    christinastokes3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid." That was exactly my thought!!
  • drea85an
    Options
    Some random guy in a Starbucks told me I would be gorgeous of I lost some weight. Then asked me out. I told him the equivalent of,apparently I am gorgeous enough without losing weight, and my self esteem isn't that low.

He actually ASKED YOU OUT after saying that? What a misguided a$$hat. Wow, lol. Good for you for turning him down :)

It's called a neg. Attractive guy asks out average girl, compliments her and adds in one softly given insult, hoping to make her work for more compliments, and thinks she is insecure enough to sleep with him. He was banking on my insecurity about my body. Oops, not there.