"you'd be pretty if you were skinny"

Options

Replies

• djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    well well well, another rude, judgmental person. World is full of haters, i'd laugh it off and let it roll
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Okay..
    so this has happened on two different occasions where I was in a public bathroom doing my make up or whatever and a lady has told me.
    "you would be beautiful if you were skinny"
    ......... i always take this as an insult though i'm not sure if it is.

today at work a lady came in and told me-
    "if you lost weight you'd look so pretty"

I call this a backhanded compliment.... it is an insult trying to be disguised as a compliment. My mother has said to me for years.... you have such a pretty face..... translation: You are too pretty to hide under all that fat... Ugghhh.
  • rexzmumu
    rexzmumu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I dont believe im ugly, but fat(i mean true fat/obese fat) is not very attractive, no matter how your body carries it. just my opinion, i DO take it as a bittersweet compliment.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think people mean anything bad by it, however, you can be beautiful at any size. So I think it is bs, people should really think before they speak. You could always say, "oh thanks, and you'd be pretty if you weren't so ugly" HEHE! kidding, I prolly wouldn't say anything, roll it off, but I'd like to at times.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

I don't eat cake :angry:

It was all I could do not to pour a drink over his head.

Proud of your willpower. I've decked a drunk a time or two for saying BS like this.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Response should be "You'd be smart if you weren't so stupid."

Love this.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have people telling me all the time that I am pretty but I would be Gorgeous if got skinny!
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people say take this as a compliment, but its not! Its a back handed one at best. What they are saying, is that your face should match your body! What do people say to people who have great bodies and not so pretty faces? You'd be pretty if you had plastic surgery on your face! i think not.... You are pretty! No! beautiful.... You can always say, that there is more to you than just a pretty face. :flowerforyou:
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes... I always had friends that were skiny and cute and I cant tell you how many times I heard "Well, Mindy would be the prettiest one if she was skinny" or "You are really pretty, you would be super HOT if you lost a little weight". Or my favorite that came when I was in my late teens that I overheard.. they didint know I could hear them "Mindy would be an "8" if she wasnt chunky. She gets two points deducted for being thick" Nice huh?

You know what??? I am SMOKIN hot anyway! LOL!!!

People are so damn rude sometimes. Just brush it off to bad manners, tell yourself that you are beautiful, and move on.. keep doing what you are doing.
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sooooo agree! its back handed.. kinda like saying bless your heart after insulting me... geez!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That is NOT a compliment whatsoever- that's an underhanded insult.
    I'd say you'd be pretty if your personality wasn't so shallow and ugly!
    The nerve of some people!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Next time someone says this, just go (no matter how little you may believe it):

No, i'm pretty now.

Then matter-of-factly toss your hair or whatever and walk away. A confident attitude will stun them, most of the time.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    meanwhile- I have seen UGLY skinny people too-
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    A guy said that to me in a pub once - actually took me aside and gave me a lecture on how I could be so attractive to men if I'd only stop eating cake.

Proud of your willpower. I've decked a drunk a time or two for saying BS like this.

I know he's right - I was much prettier when I was a stone lighter. But it's so damn rude to point this out to someone you don't know! There I was having a lovely night out with my friends and BAM...

No-one walks up to a man and says "Why don't you lift weights? You're so weedy". Or "Shame your hair fell out, you could be attractive if you weren't bald". And yet people think it's FINE to tell a girl she's not attractive because she's not skinny :angry:
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    These are the type of people I like to look in the face and say "what magic mirror is lying to you?"
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd be inclined to reply "awww, thank you. and you would be smart if you weren't so stupid"
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

:noway: What is wrong with people!!!
  • amboyd8
    Options
    Ummmm they are just saying that because they are haters and because your probably prettier than them already so they need to make themselves feel better by making a rude comment. Get healthy for you! Your beautiful as is! :) Be Blessed!
  • Loo888
    Options
    Take it as a compliment and use it as motivation. Since more than one person has said it, you must have a pretty face or something.

It's a ****ty, backhanded compliment.

What is wrong with these people? I can't imagine saying that sort of thing to someone. Yeah I might think it but say it out loud? Never.

I agree.

And to me, a backhanded compliment isn't a compliment at all.
  • Daddypantz
    Daddypantz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's ok - I'm getting to the point in life where I'm worrying less and less about the outer beauty. I'm a 5'6" male, balding a bit and not particularly good looking. I'm generally "the nice guy," because I'm non threatening (due to the fact that I'm not good looking enough to be a "bad boy" or "tall, dark and handsome."

Still, I'm doing this for health reasons - to have more energy to make it through the day and be a good example to my children. At the end of the day, success is its own reward!