Hard BOILED EGGS...GOOD or BAD?!?!

Options
I'm just curious as to what others think of eggs...I don't eat a lot of them because I've heard of high cholesterol and all...but do you think of them as being good or bad for you? I occasionally hard boil and eat them to increase my protein since I do weight lifting, but I don't know how many I can eat and still be 'healthy'. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat between 4 and 6 a week. They are a great source of protein and I like the taste of them either sunnyside up, poached, scrambled or hard boiled.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol is not a concern for most people. It depends on your genetics whether you are prone to high blood cholesterol . So eat those eggs - they have all kinds of beneficial nutrients, not to mention lots of protein.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In favor of the egg!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    taste gross
    good for you
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a bit on what else you are eating. I am mostly vegetarian so I eat a lot of eggs. I don't stress about the cholesterol since I'm not getting much of it from anywhere else.

The media has a tendency to mis-report scientific findings to the point where it seems like certain foods are miracle cures one week and death sentences the next, so try not to get too caught up in the egg story of the moment (I think the latest one was "they are as bad for you as smoking", but I can't keep track)!
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    Excessive cholesterol in your bloodstream is a sign that you are eating too much bad carbohydrate. Your liver produces cholesterol on its own and maintains your cholesterol at a healthy level. However, if it is being overworked by excessive bad carbohydrate (I say "bad" carbohydrate because things like veggies and fruits don't cause harm unless you eat tons of sugary fruit all day, haha!) your liver won't be able to naturally regulate your cholesterol level. Hence, it is large amounts of things like grains, added sugars, etc. that cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol in things like eggs, meat, etc. is NOT bad for you at all. Eggs are a great source of nutrients...I feel much better when I eat them than when I don't :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good for you. All the time.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i regularly make "breakfast for dinner" and will make a massive omelet with some regular eggs and some just egg whites.
    i get the protein i want, but i can keep the cholesterol lower (i have issues with mine). it's also good because having at least 1 yolk makes it feel more substantial.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i regularly make "breakfast for dinner" and will make a massive omelet with some regular eggs and some just egg whites.
    i get the protein i want, but i can keep the cholesterol lower (i have issues with mine). it's also good because having at least 1 yolk makes it feel more substantial.

What else can you make with them?
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Excessive cholesterol in your bloodstream is a sign that you are eating too much bad carbohydrate. Your liver produces cholesterol on its own and maintains your cholesterol at a healthy level. However, if it is being overworked by excessive bad carbohydrate (I say "bad" carbohydrate because things like veggies and fruits don't cause harm unless you eat tons of sugary fruit all day, haha!) your liver won't be able to naturally regulate your cholesterol level. Hence, it is large amounts of things like grains, added sugars, etc. that cause high cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol in things like eggs, meat, etc. is NOT bad for you at all. Eggs are a great source of nutrients...I feel much better when I eat them than when I don't :)

Do you have a source for all this information?
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    18 hardboiled eggs a week.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of eggs! 6 whites per day and a yolk or two per day. I say they are GOOD!
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    i eat two boiled eggs everyday,so ten a week:) well i think they are healthy
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Me likey.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Love eggs in almost all their incarnations. Soft boiled on toast, hard boiled for a snack, pickled eggs, poached.... I find them excellent for protein and very filling. Usually keep a few hard boiled on hand in case I get hungry.
  • LifeChangingExp8512
    Options
    im a egg *kitten*.. i put that **** in everything
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    awesome. just awesome. eat them. mmmmm. Unless you are a vegan or find them nasty of course!
  • sionnain
    Options
    I simply don't eat them because they're one of the most cruel foods you can eat, but I won't get into it. It's bad for my karma. :p
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    120 eggs a month...roughly 60 whole and 60 whites