Impossible to eat healthy when in debt

Options

Replies

• jlkennedy88
    Options
    It sounds to me like your issue is with your wife's viewpoint. Money is the number one cause for divorce. You need to find middle ground and compromise. I'm sorry if that's a rough answer.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey EccentricDad, have you showed her this site? If not, show her the nutritional value of a McD's meal or even better something from Taco Hell, and then compare it to something you make at home on MFP. The unholy sodium content alone from the fast food joints should do wonders to help nudge her focus towards your way of thinking.

For extra bonus points, also do a cost analysis breakdown for the meal for the entire family.

She's aware of this site and ones like it. But again, how the food affects the body is no concern to her. She cares only about ending that pesky feeling of "hunger". And she isn't the only person like this. I bet there are lots of you reading this thread going "that's me" and feeling guilty by my attitude towards this mentality. The truth is though, it is her (your) mentality that is causing the obesity in America to sky rocket (along with the bonus checks of Fast Food owners).

well sadly, as is my current experience, it won't become a concern of hers until it becomes real to her, which even more sadly means once she hits rock bottom or develops a serious condition because of it.

As for your origiinal problem, I think you already answered it with the gift card idea. I think that is pretty brilliant and if you can find one of those sites that let you by them from other people at a discount, could really be a money saver too.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    I bet there are lots of you reading this thread going "that's me" and feeling guilty by my attitude towards this mentality. The truth is though, it is her (your) mentality that is causing the obesity in America to sky rocket (along with the bonus checks of Fast Food owners).

Nope, just reading the rants of a troll and smh that people are biting.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I'm in debt (not as much as I used to be, but...). I find this very very possible. If you want to lose weight and be healthier you WILL find a way. If you want to remain the way you are, you'll find an EXCUSE.

edited to say: That may have sounded harsh but I've had too many experiences with people saying "I would love to lose weight but..." and then find that they really didn't want to do it all... maybe that's not your story, but hey.

Direct your attention at the concept of the thread instead of me. I am fine. I lost 70 lbs in 5 months and I can fit in clothing that I could only fit in during high school. How did I do it? Eating "my definition" of healthy eating. But I didn't do it to lose weight, that was just an added bonus.

I wasn't necessarily saying YOU.. YOU wrote "Impossible to eat healthy while in debt".... I'm saying IT IS NOT. Sorry if I offended YOU carry on with YOUR day... :flowerforyou:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Um, dry beans, lentils, whole grains, sweet potatoes, cabbage, family packs of chicken breasts...
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I bet there are lots of you reading this thread going "that's me" and feeling guilty by my attitude towards this mentality. The truth is though, it is her (your) mentality that is causing the obesity in America to sky rocket (along with the bonus checks of Fast Food owners).

Hm. Wow. A lot of very nice and probably very BUSY people have taken the time to follow this thread; to offer suggestions, workarounds, tips, budget sites, food/recipe sites, ideas how to discuss this issue with your wife...and yet you continue to insult and alienate people.

Well, whatever, I hope you can get all your and your family's needs met somehow, because I'm pretty sure you're never going to just be appreciative of all of the help you've been offered. Best of luck.

"Le sigh."
  • kellibenage
    Options
    Turn it around a bit. Your body is in debt. Because of the overindulgence in eating food that is unhealthy, your body is sinking further and further into despair. This kind of eating will cause your immune system to be compromised over time and you will end up being sick more often, maybe even losing precious days where you could be earning an income if you were not ill. By spending a little more money now, you will be boosting your body's ability to fight off disease and causing you to be healthier and have more energy.

My husband and I have struggled with our share of debt. We too are on a strict budget to get it managed, but we do understand that being healthy allows us to be more productive and in turn will allow us to pay our debt off sooner.

Just my two cents....
  • cricketcricket
    Options
    Look man, I get a little frustrated/confused when I see posts like this. You say you can't eat healthy because you're in debt (and yes I have the capacity to read a whole post and pick out the pertinent details - you don't have to be so snippy with people who are trying offer you advice). I'm not trying to be rude because I really do sympathize with your situation. I also have a ton of debt and someone else who controls food decisions.

I guess what I'm wondering is what you're actually looking for here? If you're just looking for sympathy then that's OK, and you certainly have mine. People have given you plenty of advice on eating healthy on a budget. I could give you some more, but that doesn't seem to be what you want. The people on these message boards can offer advice, but we can't be your marriage counselors. Like other people, I would tell you to talk to her, and express your concerns in a mature manner. Have an actual conversation, and if your wife is so tyrannical that she can't see her way to buying a bag of beans instead of a happy meal, then I really don't know what to tell you.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to think this way, but as I delved into the world of healthy eating, I noticed that healthy foods cost as much, if not less than, the unhealthy stuff I was buying already. The two Pepsi twelve-packs I bought every week were easily replaced by organic juice and tap water I was already paying for, the Oreos and Fudge Striped cookies I couldn't live without were replaced by fresh fruit, dark chocolate, and nuts, and so on. It came out to be the same, if not less, especially after I discovered the versatility of coupons.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    492-terminator-like-this-thread-it-just-wont-die.jpg
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bumping as we are currently trying to get out of debt and buy a house :smile:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

This^^^^^
    There will be no solution for these people that we can help with. At first I just thought this was a troll post but now have my doubts. Troll or no the OP can talk to strangers on the web and blame his wife (who is a member of this site and in his "friends" list. I asume she knows about this thread) but that won't solve the issues either. My guess is her story about why she doesn't trust him with money would reveal an interesting counter argument.

The reality is.....this is a waste of time for all involved.

Please carry on.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    492-terminator-like-this-thread-it-just-wont-die.jpg

I know right?!? I tried to kill it 3 times telling everyone I don't want advice, I was just looking for empathy (not sympathy) and this has become the unofficial "healthy eating versus junk food eating" thread.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    What may help with the mismatch in your desires of what to eat is to JOINTLY come up with a family meal plan for the week. Everyone old enough not to say "Cake and cookies!" for their meal choice, lol, gets to pick. You can even make rules that you do meat, starch, and 2 veg at each meal, and work within that. But that way there's less *****ing about the hot dogs, because you agreed you'd eat hot dogs one meal, and less *****ing about the salmon because you agreed to salmon one meal.

Of course, my husband and I are fond of our food tasting really good, so given the flavor issues there's no problem with buying the really good locally made all-beef hot dogs and paying a little more, or buying a bottle of stout to use for flavoring a beef stew. If I say that doing the piecrust properly requires lard, then we get it. We're doing this with sensible portions and generally moving more, and I'm not trying to eat exceptionally cleanly. (Indeed, on the days my foot is bad, I just try to bring it in under 1500 cal and live with whatever I eat.)

I am sorry if your wife has no palate and has comfort food issues, but education can be done patiently and subtly.
  • jules26665
    jules26665 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From a UK perspective it seems as if food and groceries are a lot cheaper in the States here £2 for six apples, £1.25 for a nice loaf of wholemeal bread and £1.18 for four pints of milk. We dont have coupons like you do but we do have supermarket value brands for things like pasta, rice and porridge oats. Unfortunately where I am we dont have very many markets close by and petrol is currently £1.39 a litre but with a lot of thought and careful shopping using the freezer and slow cooker you can eat well and fairly cheaply
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    lol!
    I suggest you just ignore it and like an old thunder storm it will just rumble and rumble until it just blows over!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    "This thread stopped being about you when you posted a question that affects a lot of people.

So let's stop making it about me then. Let's all discuss our issues with money and eating healthy. Leave me out of it!

To those that think I'm trolling or just trying to dismiss everyone's "good advice" I said earlier today (Tue 09/18/12 06:43 AM) that I was done with this thread and to leave me out of it. The reason this thread keeps going is because we are battling the thought process that eating dirty is cheaper than eating above survival mode aka a nutritional and balanced diet.

Honestly, I high-jacked my wife's credit card and got what I needed for the family to continue my health plan; so my situation is solved. But there will always be spouses quarreling about food, diet, and expenses, so this thread has became more of a "fuel for fire" thread to those who are ready to push their lazy, unhealthy spouse into the ways of healthy eating. Or at least that's how I'm hoping this information will be used :indifferent:
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This^^^^^
    There will be no solution for these people that we can help with. At first I just thought this was a troll post but now have my doubts. Troll or no the OP can talk to strangers on the web and blame his wife (who is a member of this site and in his "friends" list. I asume she knows about this thread) but that won't solve the issues either. My guess is her story about why she doesn't trust him with money would reveal an interesting counter argument.

The reality is.....this is a waste of time for all involved.

Please carry on.

The thing about calling it a waste of time is if you participate, you've become part of the problem.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I read several pages of the thread. I didn't have the tenacity to go read every post but I read for a good 10 minutes.
    OP It sounds to me like you would like to have as much say in the finances as she does. Is there a power struggle going on?
    Do you feel as if she gets to make all the financial decisions, are her priorities are always getting paid for- while your priorities are not getting financed because she doesn't think they are important?

I sympathise with you. As a home maker myself, I often got the same schtick from my ex husband. Since he worked, he got to make all the money decisions. If I wanted something, and HE wanted it too- we could have it. But if I wantes something- and it wasn't important to him, 'we couldn't afford it". This made me feel be littled.

I understand the need to vent. I wish I had some advice for you. Were it me, I would be tempted to leave m duties as home maker- put the kids in day care, and get a job to make the extra money needed for the types of food you want to buy. But that would't solve anything and likely change the dinamics of the marriage too much.

I know you want to set a good example for your kids, and it must be frustrating to be dealing with this.