Sweet potato recipes!

Options

Replies

• musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Peel, cube and roast sweet potatoes and beets with a little olive oil (or spray), salt, pepper, and thyme. So pretty! Serve over salad, warm greens, or by themselves, any of the above with or without a slight sprinkling of goat cheese
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to share and gather ..later
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I usually just do oven fries, but I use more savory seasonings like Old Bay or blackening seasoning. If you use chili powder and garlic powder it really adds some zing if you squeeze a lime over them when they come out of the oven.

If I eat them like a regular baked potato I use Fage 0% Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, a tiny bit of butter, and chopped scallions.

^ I love your idea about the Greek yogurt and chopped scallions. Must try. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Bake the sweet potatoes whole. While they're baking, slice the top off of a whole bulb of garlic (whole thing, not just a clove), set the garlic on a piece of foil top up, drizzle with olive oil then wrap the foil around it and pop it in the oven too. Start checking the garlic at about 25-30 minutes. The inside of the garlic cloves will get all soft and gooey. When it reaches that state, set it aside until the potatoes are done. Slip the skin from the baked potatoes and dump the flesh into a mixing bowl with a little butter. Squeeze the baked garlic goo out of the skins of the cloves, add to the bowl, and whip it all together with a mixer. If the texture of the mashed potatoes isn't smooth enough you can add a couple of tablespoons of skim milk or a teaspoon of olive oil. If you bake the garlic in a little ramekin or custard cup you can use extra oil on it and cover the little dish tightly. When the garlic is done, the excess oil becomes tasty and garlic-infused. Save it for later or use some in place of the butter. Yum... more flavor!
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I came across this link when I was looking for some. I emailed myself the link, but never used any of the recipes...report back if you use any and they are good.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthy-sweet-potato-recipes?page=0

I'm going to try the Apple and Sweet Potato has Browns and the Baked Sweet Potato Latkes.
  • bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like baked sweet potato with tzatziki
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump!
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I bake them in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes and then put country crock on them. Make sure to eat the skin because that is where all the vitamins are in the potatoes. Also do not forget to wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil and put them in a tray. Them come out so good.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I bake them whole then cut in half while hot and add coconut oil (teaspoon) cinnamon, pumpkin spices and a drizzle of maple syrup.. voila dessert is served

That sounds really good. I love anything with coconut. I would never think to make sweet potatoes that way. Sure sounds good.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love mine mashed or boiled or cooked up as a soup.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If you go to the spice section, they have some McCormick sets of seasoning for different dinners. Grab the Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes one (not sure what it's actually called....but that's as close of a description as I can remember). Use the Chicken or not, it doesn't matter. It makes the potatoes awesome. The seasonings are pre-portioned, and there's no salt in the packets, so you salt to taste. Cut the oil recommended in half, though. They really ask for too much, I think.

I also add sweet potatoes to my stews, along with, or instead of, regular potatoes. Or any savory recipe that calls for potatoes. I can't stand them in sweet recipes. I don't have a huge tolerance for sugars anyways (not diabetic, just don't like them). And I always refuse the "candied" yams at holiday time. Just thinking about them makes me want to vomit.
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love to cut up a bunch of veg and roast in the oven with a lil olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs are on hand....my Favs together: sweet potatoes, green /red bell pepper, mushrooms, red onion....the list varies with what I have on hand:)
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Preheat oven to 425. Slice sweet potato into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Place rounds in a large bowl and ad 1 Tbsp olive oil. Work the oil to cover the rounds. Place rounds on cookie sheet in single layer (best to use foil or non stick paper). Cut an onion julienne style. Put julienne onions in large bowl (use same bowl you used for potatoes) ad 1 Tbsp olive oil. Work the oil to cover the onions. Scatter onions over the layer of potatoes. Cook for 30 minutes.

My favorite is to make this with fish. It works with any kind of fish. Cook the potatoes and onions for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, place fish directly on top of the onion and potatoes, put in oven for another 15 minutes. Its fantastic. And you can roast veggies such as california blend veggies at the same time and temp. Entire meal done at the same time using the oven at the same temp. And its delicious. Oh, and you can season the fish however you want.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like baked sweet potato with tzatziki

That is a FAB idea. I love tzatziki!
  • sprocket1978
    sprocket1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sorry ive no idea how to add pics, but these are hassleback sweet potatoes...yum!!!

http://www.myrecessionkitchen.com/2011/11/hasselback-sweet-potatoes.html
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rw_X4l-oBM0/T-El_aCBsII/AAAAAAAACqk/6sIfJHSTL74/s640/DSC_0069.JPG

made these last night with a few healthier alterations, i just used a tiny bit of olive oil and honey mixed with pinenuts and diced walnuts and apple, i tell you they were yummy!!!
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I made some baby food for my son with sweet potatoes, carrots, and some sweet curry powder (it has cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, coriander, cumin, & fenugreek). Just cook the potatoes and carrots, put it all in the food processor until smooth. It is so yummy!! I may make something similar for myself - LOL!!
  • fancyacuppa
    fancyacuppa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump - some really scrummy ideas here that I need to check out later!
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    saving for later!!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love them in a sweet potato pie.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite veggie combinations is sweet potato, chickpeas and spinach. I posted a soup recipe up on another thread:

Chickpea, Spinach and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons sunflower oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 sweet potato diced
    1 garlic clove thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    400 g can chickpeas drained
    2 tomatoes roughly chopped
    1 teaspoon honey
    750 ml(11/4) pints hot vegetable soup
    225 g (8 oz) young leaf spinach
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

1) Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, sweet potato and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring until beginning to turn golden. Add the cumin seeds, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and honey and cook for 1-2 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften.

2)Stir in the hot stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the sweet potato is tender

3) Stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute stirring until the spinach wilts. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls and serve.

Also, the 3 vegetables are delicious in a curry.