I have a theory about running...

Options
124»

Replies

• swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a runner who competes in many long distance races, I will say that it's not boring after 3 miles. In fact for me, my body doesn't feel good and break in until mile 3 or 4.

What I think you're seeing is the fact that most people don't have time to invest in more than 3 miles. 3 miles, on average, is a 30 minute work out and generally speaking, I'd say that's what the average person is trying to get into their busy day.

Running isn't for everyone but for those who stick with it, you learn to love it and crave it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    ... I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.

I'm totally making pancakes now!

I'll be right over!

ummm I want some too! :)
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I become too preoccupied on my long runs a lot. Not sure if that means I get bored. Like to see where I can go and find stone place new. Find neat places for pictures like a scavenger hunt. Though I haven't done a 4 or 6 hour run in awhile. Been doing some 3 hour runs. Profile picture is one I took on these runs. When I do my normal loop and hour run it can get repetive. However, have some new challenges for these runs involving my tempo.

3 hours..wow. That's pretty cool. Today for the first time in like 20 years I jogged for close to a block at a time during my walk. I've got a long way to go to be any sort of real runner, but it felt good.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    As a runner who competes in many long distance races, I will say that it's not boring after 3 miles. In fact for me, my body doesn't feel good and break in until mile 3 or 4.

What I think you're seeing is the fact that most people don't have time to invest in more than 3 miles. 3 miles, on average, is a 30 minute work out and generally speaking, I'd say that's what the average person is trying to get into their busy day.

Running isn't for everyone but for those who stick with it, you learn to love it and crave it.

YES!!!! ^^^ :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The fourth mile is rarely boring for me. That's when it's really getting good. The first mile usually sucks for me. After that I love it. I love running while I'm actually running and I love the way I feel when I'm done. I'm still relatively new to running and don't consider myself hardcore (I have a hard time calling myself a "runner") - I started C25K last November and finished it on January 1 of this year. Since then I've run a few 5Ks and a 10K and have another couple of races coming up including two half marathons. I ran 11.5 miles yesterday and could have kept going for at least another couple of miles but I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.
    This. I don't even do runs less than 3.5 miles.

I'm actually working on my speed right now, so I'm doing more short runs, but short is still 3.5 miles. My first mile always blows. It's usually a throw away warmup. After that, I start to get my stride. Between 5 and 6 miles is my after work distance. 8-10 miles at a comfortable pace is my sweet spot. I think it all depends on the level of endurance you've built- if your max distance is a 5k, of course 4 miles is going to feel hard and cumbersome. My guess is that with the wild popularity of c25K, your statistics are skewed by tons of people who max out at 5k distance.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've heard plenty of "hardcore" runners say that they don't actually enjoy the running itself, they only really enjoy the racing or the accomplishment of the mileage. I've also noticed that the entire Nike+ community averages about 3 miles per run. I have a theory that running starts to get boring, painful, or otherwise un-enjoyable after that 4th mile or so.

I am new to longer distances, but I really disliked running when my longest runs were 3 miles. I never felt a high, never really hit my pace, and it wasn't enjoyable.

Once running became effortless and I began going longer distances, I started to love it. I don't really race but I do enjoy the "accomplishment" of an improved pace or increased mileage, but the actual runs are usually fully enjoyable mentally and physically.

This sounds cliched, but running has changed me and it's changed my relationship with my body. I don't find it boring, painful, or unenjoyable 95% of the time.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I've got a long way to go to be any sort of real runner, but it felt good.

If you lace um up and run, you are a real runner. Don't diminish your own effort. Good job!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've got 700 miles planned for this year with one Half Marathon planned for December. This will be my 4th Half and I know that about two weeks before it, I will get to the point where I resent all the time that my training is taking up. It happens every time, but then two weeks later, my weekly mileage decreases and I like it again. To be honest, I walk/run my races now, but look forward to being able to call myself a runner one day. I do enjoy my long days on Saturday mornings and will start to enjoy them more when it gets cooler (I live in FL). The first three miles to me seem to go by in the blink of an eye and after that, I work against my time that I had the last time I did that particular distance and that motivates the next 6, 7, 8 or 9 miles. I find that time very therapuetic.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    3-5 miles is my preferred distance. But I keep it interesting by varying where and how I run. The longer the distance, the more interesting I make my surroundings... taking a new route, running in a scenic park, hitting trails, etc. Sometimes I even take a few walk breaks to snap pictures.

I think I'd have a hard time consuming enough calories to run much longer distances on a regular basis. :laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread, but here's how I feel about running: http://mentalshrapnel.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/run-running-runner/ :)

And, while not addressed in the blog, I've never had the distance of my run make any difference on how I feel about the run itself.

Very good read, I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. :)
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    I focus on my music and my thoughts. It never gets boring. I am constantly checking how my feet feel (especially this), how my legs feel, basically how my whole body is reacting to the run. A lot of the time, I am focused on my thoughts. I think a lot about my current life situation when I run. I think about all the positive things that I will gain from running. Music is a huge factor in motivating me to run. The right song can keep me running for a long time.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I enjoy racing and running a couple times a week, other than that I would much rather lift or do Insanity...it kicks my butt!! So when i run its more for fun and taking a break from other workouts...my runs are usually about 8 miles...so i'm kinda with ya, i'm just not meant to be a "runner"