Is it possible to lose weight without exercising?

Options
I broke my ankle two weeks ago and had surgery to put pins and plates in. Big Bummer!! I was finally getting the scales to move down with diet and butt kicking workouts. Obviously, I won't be doing any workouts like that for awhile. I'm finding it so hard to stay within my 1400 calories. Especially with friends and family bringing casserole after delicious casserole. Should I just quit the weightloss process until after I'm cleared to workout again ?? UGH!!

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Do not quit! It might be hard to control your calories but you can do it. And maybe while you're on the DL you can just shoot for maintaining instead of losing. But whatever you do, don't give up! Also, you may not be able to use your feet but you can still use your arms. Do a search for sitting type exercises. I know air punching is one of them and maybe you can still do arms weights - bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. At least it will keep you active.
  • haleydself
    Options
    If you TRY to stay withing your calorie limit MOST days of the week, you still should be able to lose weight, just slower than normal.. Are you able to walk at all? Just walking outside for a few minutes would even help! Eat the casseroles... Just smaller portions, with lot's of veggies! It will only SLOW your weight loss, not stop it!

Then in a few short weeks, you'll be able to walk more, and eventually do your workouts again :)

I wouldn't stop.... It'll be so much harder to start it back up again! Hope this helps, good luck!
  • Hatedabears
    Hatedabears Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No! With your lack of exercise it is even more important to have eating discipline. Otherwise sedentary plus bad eating and you are doomed.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Don't quit, that's just silly. Why would you quit just because you can't workout? You'd be undoing progress. Makes no sense to do that, at least to me. I RARELY workout and I've lost 18 lbs in 75-80 days. Mainly because I just plain don't want to. I'm huge and my knees and ankles hurt very badly after, so I haven't really wanted to work out much until at least I'm under 200. I did the 30 day shred for about 9 days and lost INCHES but no weight, I gained. Another reason I stopped doing the workouts.
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    Do not quit! It might be hard to control your calories but you can do it. And maybe while you're on the DL you can just shoot for maintaining instead of losing. But whatever you do, don't give up! Also, you may not be able to use your feet but you can still use your arms. Do a search for sitting type exercises. I know air punching is one of them and maybe you can still do arms weights - bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. At least it will keep you active.

OMG, AIR PUNCHING!! I can totally do arm cardio!! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you!!!!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose or maintain without exercising. I joined this site earlier this year after badly injuring my ankle and knowing I needed to keep track of my eating. Seven months later, it's still not back to 100%, but I haven't gained weight.

In my case, because I'm small and not a kid, I had to cut back to 1150 on average. You have to see what works for you. Make the calories count most days.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds on nutritional changes alone. I've only recently added workouts for strengthening and shaping. So yes, if your diet is healthy and balanced, you should be able to lose weight just fine. As for the casseroles from the well-meaning friends and neighbors -- eat a bite or two to be polite, then either freeze the rest or give them to a soup kitchen! And you could even ask your friends who want to help to go to the grocery store for you instead -- and maybe make a healthy meal together?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible to lose weight without exercising. Make sure you update your BMR and set your activity to low or sedentary. Then you watch your sugars and your carbs closely.

I only work out 3 x a week and almost no cardio at all because I have bad knees. You can do this easily if you do some strength training and eat lean meats.. lots of veg and avoid sugars and carbs as I stated above.
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle and lost 30 pounds. My 11 year-old was my only help after the first week. She was a little lacking in delivering my lean cuisines I'd stocked up on. She was good at the crystal-light though. I drank and drank and the weight just fell off and all I did was lay in bed.
  • WendyA1119
    Options
    Based on clean eating principles Nutrition is 80% of the equation. I have not worked out since Saturday and have been on point with my eating and lost lbs. It is very possible to lose without working out.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I sprained my foot and have been out since July. I'm still not cleared for regular activity...sucks!! But I'm getting back into the swing of eating better, so even if I just maintain, I'm not putting the pounds on!!

Also, as others have said, even if you can walk a little bit, do that. Or do pushups on your knees, or situps, or anything just to move a little bit!
  • hockeymom2x
    hockeymom2x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Granted, I'm not stationary but I have lost 42 pounds over the past 5 months without any additional exercise. I'm not promoting that you not work out... all I'm saying is it is possible. I have a desk job 3 days a week and on the other days I'm pretty active with my kids, walking (not for the ourpose of exercise) and just general "living". I do try to keep my calories within my alloted 1550 but most days I'm between 1400 and 1700. I'm just saying don't "just give in" and wait to start over once you're able to be mobile again. Keep up the good work and it will work for you.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    One segment is just arms sitting on a chair.
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/tamilee-webbs-i-want-that-body-9455

Tell your friends you would like salads as well.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Google Wheelchair workouts.

Also, are their some pilates moves that you can do? I would work on upper body and core muscles while your leg(s) are unable to work out!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

OMG, AIR PUNCHING!! I can totally do arm cardio!! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you!!!!!!!

If you want to do something to maintain some conditioning and keep your mind in the exercise game, fine. But most calorie burn comes from exercises that use the lower body or the entire body. In any event, calorie reduction is the most important element to weight loss and maintenance.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds with only dietary changes. It actually dropped off pretty steadily once I started eating right. Then after the first 50, I had more energy and less aches and pains, and I started moving more. But it can be done!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calories, you should lose. I have skipped exercising in the winter for a few months just because I got tired of the treadmill and it was too cold to go out (at the time, I didn't have exercise videos either).

If you find it hard to stick to your calories without exercising, maybe try upping them...like if you are set to 2lbs a week, maybe change to 1.5 or 1lb a week. It might come off a bit slower but if it helps you to stay within your goal, its worth it!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    No! With your lack of exercise it is even more important to have eating discipline. Otherwise sedentary plus bad eating and you are doomed.
    Oh, reallllllly?
    I've had 2 back surgeries and can't pick up anything (doctor's orders) over 40 lbs.
    I have a dead right leg below the knee due to a neurological problem, so on good days I can walk from the front door to the driveway without a cane; on bad days, I have to use a walker.
    Soooooo,
    I cannot exercise.
    At all.
    Sorry to hear that I'm doomed, even tho' I've lost almost 35 lbs.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ask the doctor / therapist when you're cleared for swimming? I had knee surgery last year and it was the first 'real' exercise I started on besides therapy!

Dont give up! Like others have said, 80% is what you eat in the weight loss / maintenance lifestyle
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight still, if you are eating healthily and in your cal range.. I went two weeks without working out recently but still maintained my 'eating regime' and still dropped 0.5kg a week...

I totally agree with klevenson... work out the upper body... you'd still be able to do all that stuff... I know it is easy for us to say 'let's just wait until I am recouperated' and start again, but starting again is just hard... believe me, I know what you are going through... I had hand surgery a couple of years ago and wanted to give up but my PT was adament I should stick to it and work on my lower body...

Hope you mend quickly!

PS - what do you think it worse? A foot or a hand? I acutally got into wild (but funny) discussions with my friends when I had my hand done (it was a ligament re-attachment in my thumb, in my writitng hand!!, from a sporting injury)...