My experience with women...SMH

Options
I find that a lot of women that I hang out with want a man who is in super shape, but plainly doesn't think SHE HERSELF needs to get in shape (only to complain about how self conscious she feels around her man... hmmm)
(That's just MY PERSONAL experience, and I'm not downing anyone for it, just a thought. I mean everyone wants equality in a relationship, but it seems that that equality doesn't count when it comes to fitness.)

(And for those who are going to read too much into this, yes yes, there are other things to focus on in a relationship, but no matter how LITTLE the physical matters, the point its that it DOES matter... maybe not to you, but it does to many people)

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Cool.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    what you have said is very true!

my husband told me that he wasnt attracted to me when i was big...it was hurtful but it was the truth and 124lbs gone later, i appreciated his honesty...

truth be told, most guys dont want a really big girl...
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that women do this, but IME I see far more men who couldn't see their belt buckle with a mirror and a map demanding that women look like lingerie models.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that women do this, but IME I see far more men who couldn't see their belt buckle with a mirror and a map demanding that women look like lingerie models.

AHHH, YES... TRUE. I have one male friend like that. It cracks me up (not because it's funny, but because it's HIM... you'd have to get to know this guy's personality...smh again. lol)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    In my experience fitness and health is an all-consuming passion so when one is very much into it, and the other isn't there is usually some sort of friction in the relatonship. It's difficult but not impossible for one to be very much into healthy eating/lifestyle, whilst the other isn't

I know in my case I am such a bore when it comes to the subject! If my wife didn't feel the same way then my incessant ramblings on the subject would surely drive her mad!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    See, this is the opposite of where I live.... Most of the guys around here expect their girls to be super thin or super in shape but they walk around with their beer bellys and no muscle like they're all that. If you expect me to be in shape then you better be in shape as well, and vice versa. Although I do know a good number of guys who don't like their women to be all cut up or super thin, they would rather have some curves
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    hmmmm...I haven't experienced this. Sometimes, though, I wonder if I'm a little too hard on my boyfriend when it comes to eating healthy and working out. I'm definitely not pushing him or mean, but I talk about it a lot. He's said he wants to get in better shape, so I'm trying to help! We work out together and I ask him to help me cook healthy meals, and we shop together and look at labels! But, every once in a while, I think it gets on his nerves. I always tell him it's NOT because I think he's not in good shape - I absolutely love him the way he is! It has nothing to do with his outward appearance for me, but when I see him order a bunch of fried food a day after his little, 19-year-old sister who runs every day and is a tiny little thing, was diagnosed with high cholesterol, I hear his heart cry out in anguish! I tell him it's because I want him to be healthy so I can keep him around forever!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is true at all. In my experience, it's opposite. I actually like bigger guys and I can't stand super skinny guys, sorry! My weight kept creeping up and creeping up and there literally was nothing I could do. I tried and tried to get the weight off. I had a severely under-active thyroid for YEARS and didn't know it, and that's why I couldn't do anything but gain. My hubby doesn't mind my weight and he's actually a little bit sad that it's coming off, in an odd way. He says I'm healthy now, and he loves me and bla bla bla. I tell him I want to stay healthy and I want to look good for myself, I don't care what he, or anyone else, thinks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Shallowness is shallow.

Obviously, attraction is necessary, but to demand perfection in order to be attracted to someone? Eh.

Thankfully, I have had the good fortune to not know people like that in my life.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

AHHH, YES... TRUE. I have one male friend like that. It cracks me up (not because it's funny, but because it's HIM... you'd have to get to know this guy's personality...smh again. lol)

personality goes a long way with me. He could be sexy as hell, but if he's a d*** then I don't want anything to do with him. On the other hand, he could be ehhhh with a super personality and I'm all over it. :)
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Haha this is so true! Guys expect a girl who can do it all but don't take into account that if I have a flat lean stomach he better have a six pack. Ive met a lot of guys who can't keep up with y physically and not gonna lie it's a turn off it's way easier to be fit and male than fit and female

Maybe it's shallow but I just can't date an unathletic guy...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I agree that I see this more, too. Though it's probably about even.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Shallowness is shallow.

Obviously, attraction is necessary, but to demand perfection in order to be attracted to someone? Eh.

Thankfully, I have had the good fortune to not know people like that in my life.

Most people tend to end up with someone who is their physical equal (fame and fortune will alter this drastically of course!)

My wife would say that she is not the physical ideal (laughing at the very thought!) - but to me, she really is. This is not me being blinded by love, of course i can see the appeal of a gorgeous supermodel such as Elle Macpherson, but me stood arm in arm with Elle would look quite frankly, ridiculous! Whereas my wife and I stood together look just right - do you agree?

My wife really IS perfection for me
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Shallowness is shallow.

Most people tend to end up with someone who is their physical equal (fame and fortune will alter this drastically of course!)

My wife would say that she is not the physical ideal (laughing at the very thought!) - but to me, she really is. This is not me being blinded by love, of course i can see the appeal of a gorgeous supermodel such as Elle Macpherson, but me stood arm in arm with Elle would look quite frankly, ridiculous! Whereas my wife and I stood together look just right - do you agree?

My wife really IS perfection for me

You and your wife look adorable.

I don't know that you would look ridiculous next to Elle, though. :-) Either way, if physical perfection is first on someone's list for a suitable mate, that is not a person I would want to be with, even if I met the ideal.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would say this is true on both ends. Men and Women both need a physical attraction to make that connection, that spark. After that its mostly personality. I say mostly because if one falls too far outside the physical attraction that got them there, I think there is usually strain on the relationship. I can say that from personal experience. I dated a girl that I was attracted to, and went out with her for 4 years....around 3.5 years, she had gone from 125 pounds (when I met her) to 186 pounds. I honestly was not attracted to her anymore, call it shallow, call it whatever...but that was me. I tried for 6 straight months to get her to go with me to the gym, to eat better...tried everything...and while after a fight she would change her ways...it would last for about a week until the next fight....after a while...the fighting was not worth it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Shallowness is shallow.

Nobody demanded perfection, that I saw here. I would certainly prefer to have someone be at the same level of fitness as myself. I don't consider it shallow to be attracted to fit and healthy people more than someone who is not.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    aka fat military wives because for some reason sitting at home doing nothing is harder than what their husbands do.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

This has been my experience as well....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I find that it's men who are far more critical and demanding. I see very unattractive, overweight and obese men with good--looking thin women much more than the reverse.

Most of the women I know are trim and exercise so they aren't exercising a double-standard.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    aka fat military wives because for some reason sitting at home doing nothing is harder than what their husbands do.

I'll bet it's boring to be a military wife. No roots, no stability, no strong independent identity... It's not hard to see how someone could get depressed and overweight.