Free Weights Vs Machines? Holy crap!

Options

Replies

• Modmomma79
    Options
    This is definitely inspiration for me as I'm entering into the strength training world and learning different exercises to use.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am loving lifting heavy...I also have noticed..that doing compound movements..engages my abs..and they are actually getting flatter. HUGE for me since I have PCOS, IR, and hypothyroid. I am thinking in a year..it will be reasonably flat..CANT WAIT!
  • RJ74
    RJ74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe you don't think that's much of a difference. 2 MONTHS??? Really??? Amazing and inspirational to those of us that are still beginning. I just started weights a couple weeks ago (NROLFW) and love it. Coming from doing Insanity and love the controlled pace of lifting. Thanks for giving me something to shoot for! :flowerforyou:
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You look awesome....I much prefer free weights over the machines as well ....I like some of the leg machines at the gym but free weights for everything else.
  • yougojo170
    Options
    I would like to start using free weights. I bought a bench for my sons and they never use it. I was thinking I could use it. But I am not sure of what size weights I should start with. I have never used weights before and I don't want to hurt myself. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should start off?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would like to start using free weights. I bought a bench for my sons and they never use it. I was thinking I could use it. But I am not sure of what size weights I should start with. I have never used weights before and I don't want to hurt myself. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should start off?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Start where you can... where you're challenged but can still keep good form. I typically do three sets of 8, and it usually goes like this... first three reps "I got this!" next three reps "This is getting heavy!" and last two reps "Holy F, this is heavy!" Then rest for a minute or two and repeat. When the entire set is "I got this," I need to go heavier.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    amazing! and THIS is why women should LIFT!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wow! I hadn't realized you were using machines before, and always knew from your previous before/afters that weight lifting made a huge difference...

But seeing the difference from machine to free weights is AMAZING. I always hear about the benefits of free weights over machines, so I've been doing free weights. I'm even MORE inspired now to keep it up!
  • jbaker436
    jbaker436 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You look great. :smile:
    I'm inspired to give free weights a try. Hubbie's got a bench, barbell and weights so may give it a try. Maybe that will get him lifting too. Thanks for the pictures and the motivation to try!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Can I ask how tall you are? (I.e., is 2000 your maintenance, or does it represent a deficit?)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Can I ask how tall you are? (I.e., is 2000 your maintenance, or does it represent a deficit?)

I'm 5'5, and 2000 is about a 200-300 calorie deficit, so I'm going to be increasing it soon.... depending on what I'm going to be for Halloween. If I'm going to show stomach, I'll keep a deficit a little longer. Yes, I am THAT into Halloween! :laugh:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Lol! Everyone's goals are their own, but imo, you don't need to do a thing :)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As usual, you are fabulous. With a capital F. Thanks for being so inspiring Lorina!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I must find a way to get a weight bench. It JUST became a necessity, hehehe.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! What a great comparison, too! You don't even have to have a complicated routine and you still see a difference, though the before pic is still awesome, the new pic definitely shows even more inches and body fat loss!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You can really see the difference! I almost bought a bench set after you got yours, but it's not in my budget, so I'm sticking with dumbbells and a stability ball for now. You are such a huge inspiration, Lorina! I'm going to have to put this link on my profile with the other one. :flowerforyou:

CallMeCupcake,

A bench is just an accessory for the most part unless you are trying to bulk up, in my opinion. Barbells (Dumbbells) and a kettle ball is really all the free wieght you need to work the major muscle groups.

Thanks! I want to be strong enough to kick somebody's *kitten* (thanks to the guy in my pic, who flipped me around like a rag doll). :bigsmile: I thought I needed to have a bench before I started NROLFW last week, but I was told I could use the ball in lieu of one.
  • tam823
    tam823 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would say that is an impressive difference in two months! You are a rock star! Keep up the amazing work and the sharing with all of us.
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great Results!! You look Awesome:drinker:
  • lolamwest
    Options
    Thank you for this great posting topic!!!! I am going to incorporate free weights into my fitness routine more often.