Approaching My Fitness Range

Options

Replies

• andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    30DS is a great start.

Essentially to me it seems you're making excuses, just do it. Do a weight you're comfortable with, don't push yourself and work on proper form with little or no weight until you get it down and then start adding weight. Just youtube how to do bodyweight exericses that that person listed, play around on google, there are plenty of workouts. Check out bodyrock.tv, but if you think 30DS is too intense, then no way you'll ever attempt bodyrock. Learn to be uncomfortable, thats the only way you're body is going to change. Strong legs and weak upperbody is mostly your choice, not entirely genetics. You're legs will always be stronger than your upperbody. No one is telling you to be a bodybuilder, they're telliing you what you asked, which is suggestions on workouts.

Sorry for being blunt and what you'll consider rude, but its just excuses, and as long as you have excuses, you'll never do what you should and never have the body you want. Discomfort is ok, and good, I started insanity this week, and guess what, walking to the bathroom is painful and my abs hurt when I laugh or cough, but guess what, I'm sucking it up and doing it again tonight because thats the only way my body is going to change to the body I want it to be. No pain, no gain.

Perfectly said.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm calling you on this. If you were squatting 1000 lbs you'd be setting world records. No one squats 1000 and benches 100.

Missed this part. No seriously, I could max squat over a 1000 lbs in high school. I could cling and jerk over 1300 too. But now, ask me to do reps with it and I wouldn't be able to. In football tech I spent the entire day on the leg machine while everyone else was benching and doing more uniform all over exercises. I couldn't do anything but use my legs. No joke. As far as my max on arms, I probably maxed out on bench press at 135.

lol wut?
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is HSP? I did a search and found this

What are symptoms of HSP?

Classically, HSP causes skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Hi again :smile: . HSP stands for Highly Sensitive Person (http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/HSP_hallowes.htm). A person who emotionally lives in the world and uses intuition and emotions to perceive the world and what it has to offer. If you are familiar with Jungian Typeology, I am an ENFP.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Essentially to me it seems you're making excuses, just do it..........No pain, no gain.

I thought that too until I did two pull ups and injured my right pec. Took a month to heal after using the RICE method. Sorry but I'm not going to injure myself again. The "no pain, no gain" method is how people get themselves real hurt; like need surgery to put the muscle back on the bone hurt. :noway:

And as far as the "excuses" part, keep your "man up" aggressive tactics to yourself. Clearly you believe in tough love and tough love doesn't work on HSP's.

You probably weren't using proper form, and injuries happen, I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years and tore my rotator cuff one day during practice, it happens, and is a part of life. And no pain no gain is not how people get hurt, stupidity is how people get hurt, people trying to do too much and not using proper form is how people get hurt. Theres a difference between discomfort and real pain, and you should learn the difference, and when to stop pushing yourself.

Actually it does, I'm a therapist and it works very well with my "HSPs", once again, you're making excuses. To each their own, make excuses and see how far that gets you in life and in fitness. Don't post in the forums if you don't want advice and tough love, you asked for advice and people gave it to you, and I just made a simple observation, because people gave you suggestions and you had excuses of why you weren't able to do them.
  • knk1553
    Options

Classically, HSP causes skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Hi again :smile: . HSP stands for Highly Sensitive Person (http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/HSP_hallowes.htm). A person who emotionally lives in the world and uses intuition and emotions to perceive the world and what it has to offer. If you are familiar with Jungian Typeology, I am an ENFP.

I'm well aware what it is, like I said, I'm educated and I have a masters degree in counseling, thanks for thinking I don't know anything though.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I'm calling you on this. If you were squatting 1000 lbs you'd be setting world records. No one squats 1000 and benches 100.

Missed this part. No seriously, I could max squat over a 1000 lbs in high school. I could cling and jerk over 1300 too. But now, ask me to do reps with it and I wouldn't be able to. In football tech I spent the entire day on the leg machine while everyone else was benching and doing more uniform all over exercises. I couldn't do anything but use my legs. No joke. As far as my max on arms, I probably maxed out on bench press at 135.

lol wut?

Yeah, effed up I'm sure, but it's true. That's because cling and jerk is a momentum thing and squats was a balance on your shoulders and use your legs thing. Neither were very arm intensive. I could also back squat over 1000 back then too.

Again, massive leg power; modest arm power.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    30 ds isn't going to cause you injury. She has many ways you can go at a slower pace for her dvds. I started 30 ds before doing anything besides cardio.

^^ This. 30 DS is what I started with (other than walking on the treadmill and using the elliptical) after recovering from my injuries. It was tough but Jillian does offer modifications. You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

I'm well aware what it is, like I said, I'm educated and I have a masters degree in counseling, thanks for thinking I don't know anything though.

Sorry, this was for Gregcharland not you. These threads go very fast so I have no way to truly single out anyone without hitting "quote" so they know who I'm talking to.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Okay.... should have caught on earlier... but suspecting troll...

Not trolling. Legit person with a legit problem. Seriously, why is it when people have unbelieveable stories people have to suspect troll? Let's forget about my high school stuff. Let's talk about now. How do I get less fat and be able to hold up my own weight without much effort?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are actually doing 1300 on a CLEAN and jerk, you'd know how to spell it.
  • knk1553
    Options
    Also, if you are actually doing 1300 on a CLEAN and jerk, you'd know how to spell it.

BAHAHAHAHAHA Thank you for this.

Besides, if you were lifting that much, you should know how to lift and workout, so you don't need any of us to tell you how to.

As far as endurance, go run. problem solved, you don't need a gym or anything for that.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I don't think there is any reason you couldn't do 30ds -- you can use extremely light weights, modify all exercises, and work entirely at your own pace as far as reps go -- and when you move on to more advanced routines.

I did it and could lift a 34 canister of cat food or run for more than 10 seconds without being expremely winded. The routines are on youtube, I'd seriously check it out.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    You probably weren't using proper form, and injuries happen, I was a competitive swimmer for 10 years and tore my rotator cuff one day during practice, it happens, and is a part of life. And no pain no gain is not how people get hurt, stupidity is how people get hurt, people trying to do too much and not using proper form is how people get hurt. Theres a difference between discomfort and real pain, and you should learn the difference, and when to stop pushing yourself.

Actually it does, I'm a therapist and it works very well with my "HSPs", once again, you're making excuses. To each their own, make excuses and see how far that gets you in life and in fitness. Don't post in the forums if you don't want advice and tough love, you asked for advice and people gave it to you, and I just made a simple observation, because people gave you suggestions and you had excuses of why you weren't able to do them.

I probably wasn't using proper form, this is why I require watching someone do it before I do try it myself. And like most people who have trust issues, I won't go to a gym until I have one of my friends take me to one first. The pain I had from my pec was serious sharp pain. It's healed now, but 1 month is a terrible amount of time for "just doing it" and "having pain with no gain".

And as far as your therapist comment, tough love may work for your clients but tough love is just another word for "psychological abuse" and I'm not putting up with ANYONE'S abuse. And I can post things on forums, get advice, and everyone can do it in a respectful manner because that is what people with good netiquette does. I am absolutely happy with the advice given to me, I am just letting people know when I'm NOT going to take their advice because I am not comfortable or willing or in a position that I can do those things. If you look at the beginning of the thread, I agreed that my body is my gym; I just need direction on how to start that.

With all to respect, when I need a military trainer barking orders I'll look you up; but since I enjoy the more delicate, peaceful, and happy parts of life, don't expect me to contact you.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

I'm typing fast. CLING and jerk. Sorry.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

BAHAHAHAHAHA Thank you for this.

Besides, if you were lifting that much, you should know how to lift and workout, so you don't need any of us to tell you how to.

As far as endurance, go run. problem solved, you don't need a gym or anything for that.

Again, sorry, typo. Brain goes faster than fingers.
    Also, yeah, I just did as I was told in football tech. They didn't teach me work out routines, they just blew whistles and hit our helmets with keys when we weren't doing what we were supposed to do. But it's not like I can do down ups right now without gear and I can do mile stair climbs without stairs. I need more practical exercises I can do at home. Winters coming.....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    No idea if this is something you want, but it's 100 push-ups program. I'm pretty horrible at it since I can't do a true push-up to save my life, but it does work on your upper body.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I don't think there is any reason you couldn't do 30ds -- you can use extremely light weights, modify all exercises, and work entirely at your own pace as far as reps go -- and when you move on to more advanced routines.

I did it and could lift a 34 canister of cat food or run for more than 10 seconds without being expremely winded. The routines are on youtube, I'd seriously check it out.

Thinking about it. My confidence level is very low though. I can't even do 5 push ups without feeling weak in my legs.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Both bodyweight and iron can be adjusted to just about any strength... push ups can be done on knees, you can use bar only (45lbs) for bench, curl etc-- or if that is too much bench 5lb, or even 2.5 lb dumbells.. where there is a will there is a way.

Are you saying an empty barbell weighs 45 lbs? I've been wanting to know this for awhile now so that I could figure out exactly how much I'm pressing.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Maybe my goal is to build endurance and to be able to hold up my own body weight. What do you think I should do to achieve THAT?

Excellent goal.

Here's what you do (you can google all of these exercises). I did this bodyweight circuit for 2 months before joining the gym. In those two months I doubled my ability on almost all of the different exercises.

Workout A:

Push Ups: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Body-weight Squats: maximum repetitions or 30 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Body Row: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Hop Scotch: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Repeat this circuit 4 times, resting as needed between exercises.

Workout B:

Body Row: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Forward Lunges: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions (each leg), which ever comes first.
    Push Ups: maximum repetitions or 20 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Jumping Jacks: maximum repetitions or 40 repetitions, which ever comes first.
    Repeat this circuit 4 times, resting as needed between exercises.

Workout C:

Squat Thrusts: maximum repetitions in 5 minutes. If you can complete repetitions that are equal to or greater than 10 times the number of minutes (e.g. 50 or more repetitions in 5 minutes), increase the duration of the session to make it more challenging. Rest as needed but get back to work as soon as possible, allowing the clock to run during both work and rest periods. Record the number of repetitions and try to beat your score in the next session.

Example Training Schedule:

Week 1
    Monday: Workout A.
    Tuesday: OFF.
    Wednesday: Workout B.
    Thursday: OFF.
    Friday: Workout C.
    Saturday: OFF.
    Sunday: OFF.

Week 2
    Monday: Workout A.
    Tuesday: OFF.