Hey tattoo people, a question for you...

Options
LadyIvysMom
LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
Getting my first tattoo on Saturday. It’s fairly small and going on my upper back, near my shoulder blade. My tolerance for pain is pretty high so I’m not too concerned about it but I am curious as to what to expect.

Be brutally honest, how much pain can I expect to be in and how long does the pain usually last for? What would you compare the pain to? How much should I eat before going in? I’ve heard that it’s important to have a good meal beforehand.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I don't find them painful. I rather enjoy the feeling. Although the collarbone wasn't a lot of fun. Any pain associated stops once the needle leaves the skin. You don't need to eat a huge meal, just your normal intake is fine. Enjoy it!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I have one in the same spot you are getting yours. It doesn't hurt that bad, kind of like a stinging sensation. I am addicted now though.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I didn't find it painful at all. I got mine in the same place you will be getting yours. Take a couple of ibuprofin an hour before you go if you think you need a little something. I do have a high tolerance for pain.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't find them painful. I rather enjoy the feeling. Although the collarbone wasn't a lot of fun. Any pain associated stops once the needle leaves the skin. You don't need to eat a huge meal, just your normal intake is fine. Enjoy it!

^ This exactly. I have one on my upper back between my shoulder blades. I didn't think it hurt at all. If you're getting a small piece it will be over before you know it.
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options
    I must be masochistic because i find the pain of getting a tattoo quite nice
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos all over my back. Neither shoulder hurt that bad. There were a few spots where it hit that muscle and it twitched a bit and then he hit another spot that sent a chill type feeling down my whole arm. So certain spots felt "weird" but as far as pain, it wasn't that bad. You are probably imagining it to be worse than it will be honestly. Know if it goes toward the inside under your arm or anywhere near you ribs, that is definitely a more tender spot than most, but not unbearable,. But that's just my opinion. Good luck and congrats!:drinker:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Yucky poo.....kidding you will be fine. They are addictive just sayin'
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I got my tattoo in the same place, and honestly the most painful part for me was sitting still..LOL
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have one right on my right shoulder blade. barely felt it. the skin back there is pretty thick and has very little nerve endings compared to the rest of your body.
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    i Have two tattoos on my shoulder blades! the first one hurt a bit but it was my first tattoo and i wasnt sure what to expect! But just make sure you know what your second tattoo is going to be! hehe :) they are VERY ADDICTING!!! have fun! :) i want another one sooooo bad!!!!!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've had sessions where they worked on me for 5 & 6 hours each...it was a little painful at times, but it defintely turned me into a little whiney bit(ch towards the 5th & 6th hours. And I think I have a high pain tolerance.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a dragon between my shoulder blades over my spine... It wasn't too painful, only a little uncomfortable. The painful part was them using one of those brown papertowels to wipe it every so often... I told the guy to go get some bounty before I ripped his head off! LOL!

I will say, be ready to feel like they are tattooing on the wrong spot. The fact that it is over the spine gives some weird feelings... it felt like he was tattooing me on my lower back at times... I made him show it to me in the mirror so I knew he didn't screw up the placement.

Also, taking a shower... if you let the water from the shower hit it directly it feels like a very BAD sunburn... I would avoid turning your back to the shower for a couple of days, just let the water run over it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It's not too bad. After a couple hours it tends to get a little sore but they'll usually break it up into a bunch of sessions. If you're getting something small you won't have to worry about that one bit.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    They are addictive just sayin'

Completely agree. I remember when I said, "Oh, I am only going to get this one" ... Pssshhh
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i have one on my foot, and i am such a baby when it comes to pain. I thought it felt like i was getting stung over and over again. The pain stopped as soon as he stopped doing the tattoo. Obviously when you tattoo over bone it hurts way worse. I ate before hand just so that i wouldnt pass out. Goodluck, you will be fine, and im sure it will come out great
  • zora182
    zora182 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Super tolerable spot. I have one there. My worst ones were on the tops of my feet. I like the pain of it.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I guess people tell you to eat b/c they don't want you passing out. I've never heard that.

You will experience a lot of pain while the needles are touching you but the second he stops so does the pain. It's really not bad at all. The amount of pain you feel while the needles are touching will just depend on how many nerve endings you have in that particular spot. But once the artist is finished it really just feels sore, not really in pain.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I echo the great majority of comments already submitted. If you can handle a mild/modest amount of pain, you'll be fine. I also have one on my upper shoulder blade area. It hurt, but not so much I ever considered stopping. Also, it's worth a little pain...i've had my (one and only) tattoo for 22 years now and I still love it!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have one on my lower right back and it wasn't bad. Mainly just felt like someone scratching me. I also have one that stretches down my right rib cage (took about 3 hours)..quite honestly that one hurt like a b*tch! The worst pain, I have found, is the first 15 minutes (if yours takes longer)..after that there's a numbing sensation that kinda takes over. Still feel it but not bad. You're going to be fine..short amount of pain for something you want and will last forever.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    I don't find them painful at all. I would just say that it's a little uncomfortable after a while...and kind of annoying-all of my pieces are good size tho. If you have a high threshold for pain and it's small it probably won't evn fase you. :happy: