If eating every 2-3 hrs...

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I never heard that is boosts you metabolism unless you are hypoglycemic like I am. I think a lot depends what you are eating and how your body processes it and the insulin ups/downs.

this is me.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Is supposed to rev up your metabolism, why not eat every hour or every half hr or every 15 min? Wouldn't that turbo charge your metabolism and turn you into a fat burning machine?

Every 15 minutes? You are doing it wrong. I just never stop eating. I count my arm moving from the table to my mouth as exercise. What with how revved up my metabolism is from always eating, I can eat whatever I want all day long. The faster you eat, the faster your metabolism goes!

This! I had to change my settings from sedentary to very active because of all my eating. I alternate arms with bites and pause for a flex at the top for maximal muscle building.

Seriously though, I do leangains, I usually have 2 big meals and lots of, generally chocolate flavored, snacks as I want.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I pretty much follow this
    EXCEPT I never eat after 6:30
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Well I've lost 112 Pounds
    so it must be working for me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

And why do you think that is? Do you think it has to do with that methodology? Or is it possible that maybe it's just the overall calorie deficit you have created? Or, what about people like Ed Davenport who has lost 3 times what you've lost? How would you account for that given that he doesn't do any of that?
  • 3foldchord
    Options

And why do you think that is? Do you think it has to do with that methodology? Or is it possible that maybe it's just the overall calorie deficit you have created? Or, what about people like Ed Davenport who has lost 3 times what you've lost? How would you account for that given that he doesn't do any of that?

what does it matter? Why do you care? Why can't people choose how they want to run their heath journey their own way. Now, if they are complaining about it not working, then a change might be needed. but if they are eating good foods and happy with their progress, what does anyone care if they eat every 2 hours or just all at once every 24 hours.
  • Awkward30
    Options

what does it matter? Why do you care? Why can't people choose how they want to run their heath journey their own way. Now, if they are complaining about it not working, then a change might be needed. but if they are eating good foods and happy with their progress, what does anyone care if they eat every 2 hours or just all at once every 24 hours.

Most of us have no problem with people doing whatever they want.

What I HATE is when people tell other people, especially new people, that they must do things a certain way. It's sad when you see some neophyte posting "I'M NOT HUNGRY AT BREAKFAST, AM I IN STARVATION MODE?!?"

Eat frequently or infrequently as you see fit. Maintain an overall deficit and you will lose weight
  • kandienicole
    Options
    Does that mean if I put a gallon of petrol in my car 6 times instead of six gallons in one go, my car will go faster too?

It stays running if you fill it before it gets close to empty so by filling it often, you are never letting your body stop!

Exactly!! I have had nothing but great results since eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day...I also make sure to have a lean protein source every time I eat...I am definitely leaning out from this type of eating and have more energy during the day! :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    That does not work for me. It's too easy to eat too many calories and I don't believe it works anyway. You never give your body a chance to burn off fat reserves when we have them when we do that. I think this works well for men who are lean and fit. I'm lean and it still does not work for me.

Our bodies are designed to go for long periods without eating. That is what we did when we were hunter gatherers. Humans have been fasting for spiritual reasons since the beginning of time with no ill effects.

Instead I skip breakfast and head straight to the gym. I lift heavy and workout hard, and then do at least 30 minutes of cardio, sometimes HIIT running, then wait an hour to eat. When you workout fasted like this your body produces the HGH internally as it also does from hours 15-24 during a zero calorie fast.

I learned about the working out fasted from Rusty Moore on Fittness Black Book http://vacationbodyblueprint.com/
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i eat whenever im hungry.. which ends up to be every 15-30 mins.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

What I HATE is when people tell other people, especially new people, that they must do things a certain way. It's sad when you see some neophyte posting "I'M NOT HUNGRY AT BREAKFAST, AM I IN STARVATION MODE?!?"

Eat frequently or infrequently as you see fit. Maintain an overall deficit and you will lose weight

Feel free to eat a bunch of small meals if it works for you. It does not work for me.

That is why I love this quote.
    Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you, and be silent. -Brad Pilon
  • 3foldchord
    Options

true. I guess I just felt this thread was created to mock people that choose to eat every 2-3 hours. I didn't mean to take it our on you individually,

I agree- It bugs me when people say there way is the ONLY GOOD WAY works for everyone! Whether is is vegan or paleo or frequent or fasting.
  • kandienicole
    Options
    That does not work for me. It's too easy to eat too many calories and I don't believe it works anyway. You never give your body a chance to burn off fat reserves when we have them when we do that. I think this works well for men who are lean and fit. I'm lean and it still does not work for me.

Our bodies are designed to go for long periods without eating. That is what we did when we were hunter gatherers. Humans have been fasting for spiritual reasons since the beginning of time with no ill effects.

Instead I skip breakfast and head straight to the gym. I lift heavy and workout hard, and then do at least 30 minutes of cardio, sometimes HIIT running, then wait an hour to eat. When you workout fasted like this your body produces the HGH internally as it also does from hours 15-24 during a zero calorie fast.

I learned about the working out fasted from Rusty Moore on Fittness Black Book http://vacationbodyblueprint.com/

I can see how this approach would work for some people-I think it differs for everyone depending on how they look at food...some people may overeat if given the chance to eat multiple times during the day. Some people may overeat if they feel like they are really hungry and can't control themselves. Either way, each person needs to find what works for them. Looking at your pictures, this clearly is working great for you! You are in amazing shape and a total inspiration! Thanks for bringing a fair, balanced approach to this discussion-if I hit another plateau I just may try your way of eating to give my metabolism something different! :)
  • vonsay
    Options
    everybody different and I used to eat every hour. I now follow the leangains.com approach. Which is fasting and eating all your calories in a time window. I've seen more results switching to this style than when I used to eat every hour. Mind you I still eat the same amount of calories, just during a certain time frame. Sounds crazy but Martin on that website has some GREAT scientific evidence to prove why it works and why it really doesn't matter when you eat and how much you eat at one time as long as you are in control of your calories. Maybe it won't work for everyone (both ways work for me but I've leaned out more with leangains approach) but worth a read. A good book is 'Eat Stop Eat' that also explains this. I follow the primal nutrition approach and that ties into it as well. Our caveman ancestors weren't eating every 2 hours. They would spend the majority of their day looking/hunting for food and ate big meals randomly, while fasting the rest.

that's my 2 cents anyways. to each their own of course!

hmm really makes me wonder about my eating style. I usually don't eat my first meal until about 2pm and then I am eating/snacking until maybe 1 am. I dont go to bed until about 4 am though. So I wonder is this slowing me down? You hear so much about not eating after 6 but hell I don't even get home from work until midnight.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I eat 300 calories 6 ties a day. 6-9-12-3-6-9. This does a great job keeping my blood sugar in check and me off insulin.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

true. I guess I just felt this thread was created to mock people that choose to eat every 2-3 hours. I didn't mean to take it our on you individually,

I agree- It bugs me when people say there way is the ONLY GOOD WAY works for everyone! Whether is is vegan or paleo or frequent or fasting.

Well I think it was created to skewer those who say, "I've lost upteen pounds and I eat 6 times a day so it must work" and that is why I asked all thosequestions. The person I quoted used the BS rationalization that they've lost X amount doing it so it must work. My guess is that isn't why it worked. It had more to do with creating an overall deficit. So, actually you are I are more in agreement than disagreement.

I don't really care what method people use to get to thir goals. I applaud the reaching of the goals. I do care when people start telling others that their way is THE WAY. The only realy way is to eat less than you in a day or a week or a month. How you accomplish that is up to you, There are many ways and whatever way someone comes up with and validates it by saying how much they've lost, there is always someone who has lost more than them doing it another way. Except Ed Davenport! Ed is the king at 300+ pounds. At least as far as I know.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a cheeseburger every 12 minutes and weigh 78 pounds. I'm living proof of your theory.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm tempted to just get a drip IV in me to continuously feed me without any need for actual eating.

But then I realize I love food.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating again, its 9:51pm 0_o
  • Awkward30
    Options
    everybody different and I used to eat every hour. I now follow the leangains.com approach. Which is fasting and eating all your calories in a time window. I've seen more results switching to this style than when I used to eat every hour. Mind you I still eat the same amount of calories, just during a certain time frame. Sounds crazy but Martin on that website has some GREAT scientific evidence to prove why it works and why it really doesn't matter when you eat and how much you eat at one time as long as you are in control of your calories. Maybe it won't work for everyone (both ways work for me but I've leaned out more with leangains approach) but worth a read. A good book is 'Eat Stop Eat' that also explains this. I follow the primal nutrition approach and that ties into it as well. Our caveman ancestors weren't eating every 2 hours. They would spend the majority of their day looking/hunting for food and ate big meals randomly, while fasting the rest.

that's my 2 cents anyways. to each their own of course!

hmm really makes me wonder about my eating style. I usually don't eat my first meal until about 2pm and then I am eating/snacking until maybe 1 am. I dont go to bed until about 4 am though. So I wonder is this slowing me down? You hear so much about not eating after 6 but hell I don't even get home from work until midnight.

You would, essentially, be eating in an 11 hour window... Leangains promotes a 10 hour window for women, so you're naturally practically following the program :)