Do you tell all?

Options

Replies

• GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have logged on here 85 days in a row. Out of those 85 days I've only not logged everything on 3 days. I can't remember why the first time, I think I was just sick. The last 2 were because it was my daughter's birthday weekend and I was just plain too busy. Otherwise I log everything that has calories. The only things I don't log are mustard and pickles unless I have a lot of either, which doesn't really happen. I'm not going to get anywhere or learn from my mistakes if I don't log everything.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I never cheat. I weigh everything, or count pieces, whatever... I even log when I have a few glasses of wine too many. I measure the ounces too and usually end up regretting it after seeing my calorie count for the day! :grumble: :laugh:
  • ShallaLovee
    ShallaLovee Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I log every little thing because it's being completely honest with yourself. No matter if I go over my calories or carbs w.e I log it so I know everything I consumed for the day. Some people say that they don't log this or that because it's their "cheat" but what's the point in that? I don't know. I log everything no matter what.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to log it (and I log everything) I may be less likely to eat it because I know it will be added to what I am allowed for the days calories. I have passed on many pieces of candy and sweets for that reason. I even log gum.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This month, I started logging *everything* - sugarfree gum, spices, the splash of milk in my coffee, coffee, etc. These little things can add up to 30-50 calories a day. If you bite it, write it!

I also think it's really important to have the accountability to yourself to log your bad days as well as your good days. If you're like me, you want an accurate picture of how you're doing. Not logging the bad days works against you in the long run.

I also think it's really important to log with actual food entries rather than "quick calorie" counts, which I think are too easy to fudge. Plus, I'm trying to watch my macros and sodium, so quick counts don't help me there. Sometimes you do have to do the quick cal thing, but it should be the exception rather than the rule IMO.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything!
  • milk_shakes
    Options
    i log every single thing! even half of a morning star nugget from my son's plate haha. the worst is when i ate something with intentions of logging, then i forget and remember at 11 pm. when you actually log it i think you realize that it DOES add up. i want to be accountable for every calorie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I log, I log everything to the best of my ability except spices and seasonings and no calorie items (such as water or vinegar).

I often don't log on the weekends when we eat away from home a lot because I just don't know what exactly I've eaten and don't see what good guesstimating would do.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Candy = small stuff??? I don't think so.
    Yes, I log everything. You are only cheating yourself if you don't. Then you have more and more thinking it's not enough to log and next thing you know, you are wondering why you're not losing weight.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was on here once before and I definitely cheated at logging. No weekends, "forgetting" little snacks and stuff... It lasted about four weeks, and it looked pretty but it wasn't really me. I log everything now because I think it helps you to evaluate whether something is really worth it or not, and I really feel like it's been making a difference in my eating habits. So much of binge eating is a lack of accountability, but when you're accountable to someone else that you know (a friend or significant other) you can grow to resent them. This is a roundabout way to be accountable to yourself.

-Edit- Oh, yeah, except for no-calorie drinks. and sometimes spices.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't log diet Koolaid, lettuce on a sandwich (sometimes), water (because I know I drink enough), some spices, sugar free gum or sugar substitutes. If it has more than 5 cals I'd probably log it.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I log everything even if it's just using the quick added calorie option....
    Otherwise... Why on earth bother??
    It's like people who log in every single day but dont log their food.... Why???
    And then they wonder why they aren't losing weight...
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I log it all or else I am not accountable for things ... even if my diary is open.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I log everything except zero calorie spices. sometimes i even log the spices if i'm feeling extra awesome
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I log everything even if it's just using the quick added calorie option....
    Otherwise... Why on earth bother??
    It's like people who log in every single day but dont log their food.... Why???
    And then they wonder why they aren't losing weight...

I sometimes log in on the weekends even if I'm not going to log my food just so MFP will say I've logged in more XXX days in a row. :laugh:
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't log spices and things like a few pieces of lettuce on my sandwich. I do however log every sweet, even if it's a small hard candy. that's where those sneaky mindless calories add up for me.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So what's the point of doing this, weighing, logging, etc. if you're not going to be accurate or truthful? True, you are cheating yourself and only yourself. Might as well not bother if you aren't going to do it right to achieve your goals.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I really do not want to be ruled by MFP and by what I put in my mouth and what I want to put in my mouth. So, no. I do not log everything. I strive for accuracy and honesty. I do not weigh and measure everything I eat. So, I often estimate. But, when I do, i try to err on the side of exaggeration. I figure that way, when I miss little things, they are accounted for.
    But, it is easy for me to talk. My goal is not really to lose weight -- maybe just a couple pounds is all.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just logged the 7 m&m's I ate. If I don't then I forget I ate them and by the end of the day all those forgotten nibbles can add up. I'm sure that was my downfall pre-MFP.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I log everything except for supplements and any breath mints(to curb sugar craving) I eat. Sometimes, if I eat fruit with dinner instead of a later snack, I list it as a snack (since that's where it's saved under) but it's still logged.

As for logging food, if I'm at a restaurant, I'll log the side salad as a generic side salad (If the restaurant name and side salad aren't listed in the database). I'm not going to go rooting through it and obsess over whether it is 1/2 or a full cup of lettuce, how much shredded carrots or what fraction of a tomato, etc., are in the salad.