Breakfast ??Yes or No??

Options

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does not jumpstart your metabolism.

Diet induced thermogenesis is based on total calorie intake (and macronutrient composition). It is not frequency or timing based.

If you enjoy breakfast, eat it. If you don't, skip it. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.

See here for a detailed explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency

This. As long as you hit your calorie goal for the day, it doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not.
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat a decent breakfast (oats, seeds, say 400 calories) then I can go through to lunch otherwise I'll feel hungry and snack during the morning when good snack food might not be available if I haven't taken it with me. BTW, this works for me and I shall read the articles later when I have more time.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the stupid question, but stopping to eat sugar cuts out cravings or also stops you from wanting to just eat and eat..?
    And here;'s the really dumb question - stopping sugar - means literally NO sugar at all in your diet?
    Thanks xxx
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    oh god here we go.

do you like to eat breakfast? if so, do it. personally, i just have a shake for breakfast.

does it help you more than eating at any other time of the day? no.

so before this goes to 10 pages, let me just end the debate quick

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

...studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

...We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study.

(MF = meal frequency)

Fasting actually promotes cAMP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_adenosine_monophosphate
    Cyclic AMP (i'm sure i'll get some **** for posting wikipedia as a source lol)
    This helps preserve protein while burning fat in a fasted state.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Diet induced thermogenesis is based on total calorie intake (and macronutrient composition). It is not frequency or timing based.

If you enjoy breakfast, eat it. If you don't, skip it. It's entirely a matter of personal preference.

Agreed ^^^

Not everyone needs to eat breakfast :/
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    YES!:)

I did read the artical and the first thing i notice is he talked about fasting...naturally if your fasting your going to get hungry and eating food is going to make you more hungry.

Beyond that i dont think the artical is very good, He says that some people eat breakfast and then feel hungry 30 min to 2.5 hours later, and that most people wouldnt understand because not everyone is experiencing this however most people i know do it get hungry within 2 hours, thats way so many diets will say to eat breakfast a small snack 2 hours later then 2 hours later another small meal ect.

Eating breakfast gets your metabolism going, After you have been sleeping for 8 hours and wake up and eat then start moving and doing stuff (especially if you do a workout) your bound to get hungry.

I do understand the feeling of not wanting it, what works for me is a 100-150 calories "breakfast" then my snack is a little bigger so im kind of spreading out my breakfast but still getting the same calories
  • Courtney_7790
    Options

Agreed ^^^

Food is what makes your metabolism work the more often you eat the faster your metabolism gets, So essentially yes breakfast does because it starts the eating for the day earlier and then if you eat small snacks throughout the day it keeps it going.
  • icreate
    Options
    Definitely Yes :)
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've found if I eat a 'proper' breakfast I'm really not hungry till lunchtime or even mid afternoon. This is particularly the case when I have cereal....today was sultana bran with some banana and semi skimmed milk...(300 cals) couldn't eat a thing till 3pm...and I know that 300 cals seems a lot for a breakfast when 1200 cals is the normal max but it seems to pan out ok! Two weeks in, 3 kgs gone....so go breakfast!
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    YES!:)

I did read the artical and the first thing i notice is he talked about fasting...naturally if your fasting your going to get hungry and eating food is going to make you more hungry.

Beyond that i dont think the artical is very good, He says that some people eat breakfast and then feel hungry 30 min to 2.5 hours later, and that most people wouldnt understand because not everyone is experiencing this however most people i know do it get hungry within 2 hours, thats way so many diets will say to eat breakfast a small snack 2 hours later then 2 hours later another small meal ect.

Eating breakfast gets your metabolism going, After you have been sleeping for 8 hours and wake up and eat then start moving and doing stuff (especially if you do a workout) your bound to get hungry.

I do understand the feeling of not wanting it, what works for me is a 100-150 calories "breakfast" then my snack is a little bigger so im kind of spreading out my breakfast but still getting the same calories

I appreciate you reading it. It just seemed to make sense for me. I usually get up at 7am.Coffee x2 then about 2hours later i eat....this seems to work. I dont work out till 4pm.Thanks for your input.I will find a balance
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    Good thinking, Everyone can share what they know to be right and what works for them (as i did) However every single body is different i personally do not lose weight if i dont eat something small in the morning but maybe it will work for you.

Are you putting creamer or anything in your coffee? My mother in law does coffee with cream and little splenda in the morning and it adds up to about 100 calories then about 10 am she eats something and her dr said that was perfect because essentiantly her body is still getting calories, and she is just switching her snack and breakfast really...it works awesome for her she has lost 20lbs in 2.5 months!
  • dominikaro
    Options
    I have the same issue. If I eat shortly after I wake up I get really hungry few hours after that and I tend to eat too much on that day. I stopped forcing myself 3 months ago and I feel much better now. I still have breakfast, lunch and dinner but I have it a bit later. Usually my day looks like that: 9:00 coffee, 12:00 beakfast, 15:00 lunch, 19:00 dinner. I eat very small lunch, rather a snack. Sooooo what I'm saying, you need to figure what works for you. Maby eating breakfast is good for most people in the world, but not for all of us.
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me personally to have breakfast is a must for a few reasons.
    1st, I train mornings and I'm very hungry right after a workout so must have some food. 2nd, my last meal is at 8pm, so at 6am (when I stand up) I'm hungry because of this too. 3rd, my blood pressure is extremly low and food is the easiest way to make it normal. As you can see none reason is releated with "run metabolism".
    Yes, I feel hungry in 3 or 4 hours but that time I usually have my 2nd breakfast.)
    Anyway it's personal decision to eat or not to eat.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Food is what makes your metabolism work the more often you eat the faster your metabolism gets, So essentially yes breakfast does because it starts the eating for the day earlier and then if you eat small snacks throughout the day it keeps it going.

Nah, you have to totally fast for DAYS before the metabolism will drop appreciably.

Skipping a meal is not an issue if it doesn't fit into your life.

In fact, eating LESS often has some advantages if you want to give your body a digestive rest and give it a chance to do some maintenance.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

Agreed ^^^

not true.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    hey.
    I find its not hunger really ...am craving. I read something interesting about certain people not needing breakfast.These people seem to have a massive surge of insulin not long after getting up making even the perfect breakfast add to this ,creating the drop.
    Has anyone else read this???

Yes, exactly.

I love breakfast - always eat it, as does my whole family. But a high protein breakfast with harder to process carbs. Eggs or yoghurt with low carb tortilla, for example.

If I don't eat a good breakfast I over-eat at night.

However, if I eat processed high carb breakfast (oatmeal) I get extremely hungry by 11:00.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the fuel that starts your day...!!! Even if I don't feel hungry, I still have something small, like a piece of fruit with toast and peanut butter or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You need that energy so that you won't be ravenous when you get to work which will make you eat more then you would like. Besides buying protein meal bars, I also buy cereal bars...those small cereal bars works when you're really hungry. Please don't skip breakfast...it truly helps.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Come join the intermittent fasting group. Those of us who 16:8 type daily fasting don't generally eat breakfast. I don't eat until after midday. After a couple of days you don't feel hungry. Anyway, look at the posts there, no point discussing it amongst the breakfast believers, heaven forbid you don't eat for a few hours!
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast but since I have started working out in the morning I do so that I can have energy for my workout.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So many different things. If I ate 300 kcals of the best quality breakfast foods...I would be totally hungry for more. Its like once I awaken my appetite I find it difficult to control it. I do have a skinny cappa..approx 50kcals this is enough. Then once I get to 10-or 11 I will eat something(I get up around 6am)>i do not work out till 4pm. I used to eat porridge or weetabix unsweetened but htis just triggered my appetite..I start wanting more food more or less straight away. If I just have my coffee and wait the rest of the day is ok.I appreciate Everyones input!!. I am glad to find others like me. Whoever suggested the intermittent fasting group thanks. I will join