Starvatio mode, excerices cals ect...

Options
I noticed so much conflicting information on here about weather or not to eat excericise calories, and about not eating less then 1200 and starvation mode, i also hear about when and how much you need to be eating, So i thought instead of just saying anymore of what i know from research and my experience i would ask a professional I had a dr appt today and in her office she has the number 1 nutritionist and weight loss expert in our state!

Starvation mode- She says myth your body doesnt just start storing fat and stop losing weight if you get less then 1200 calories a day, 1200 calories is an ideal minimum of what your body will need for normal function therefore you should aim for about there, however if you cannot eat that much everyday it will not cause you to gain weight, or lose then gain it all back. It needs to be something you can potientally stick to and then you will keep it off. An example she has a patient who is not very active and a very small frame she eats when she is hungry and she gets between 900-1100 calories at least 4 days a week she has never struggled to keep the weight of she lost. (not to say you should try to eat less then 1200, That plan my backfire because alot of people can never stick to less then 1200)

Eating back excerise calories- Its a new thing and there is no need to manage that...and trying to eat back every excerise calorie you burn is silly, if your working out very hard and your still hungry have you eat you alloted calories then you could have an additional healthy snack. But it is not a must. She also mentioned that many people focus so much on that they do not lose weight because its so easy to over estimate what you are doing. The only time you really need to eat back any excericise calories is if you are doing extremley vigerous working out.

Metabolism- Eating smaller meals more frequently will help your metabolism eventually. However thats not to say your metabolsim is going to stop just because you not hungry there is no magic number. Skipping meals is never ideal and you should aim to eat small meals often.

Eating breakfast- I know this was a topic last night and i posted what i knew to be true so i asked my dr I was right about somethings but not everything...

Breakfast is important and you should not skip it, Skipping breakfast is one of the most common reasons for obesity in adulthood, and you need food to fuel your brain. However skipping breakfast one day is not going to do anything to your metabolsim if you dont like breakfast you should still try to eat some in the morning even if you split it into 2 snacks instead of a meal.

I know some of you will disagree, and i respect that you all know your bodies, Im just posting this for people who wont get that chance to talk with a professional and have these questions

Replies

• thatyogagirl
    thatyogagirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this info as I've been confused about this particular matter. Best wishes for your weight loss journey.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nice to see a sensible post on this.

Starvation mode-myth - agree except tin extreme circumstances and eating disorders

Eating back excerise calories- seems like total nonsense - If I'm not hungry why should I stuff myself - I think people use this as an excuse to overeat and not lose- overestimate your workout burn and you get to eat more food

Metabolism- Eating smaller meals more frequently- I'm not convinced it makes any difference calorie wise - but it may help you to eat less

Eating breakfast - same as previous - I eat it to avoid snaking in the morning -
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks Court, it wont stop the people that are adamant about this but it may encourage those that are worried.
    Interesting enough there was a post that had a link to a website of all MFP links on this subject and I have to wonder if the builder read them since they all said there that eating back depended where you were on your journey and what your goals were.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

Metabolism- Eating smaller meals more frequently- I'm not convinced it makes any difference calorie wise - but it may help you to eat less

May not affect your metabolism but it sure helps to keep your stomach smaller which helps you feel more physically full.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Congrats on failing to understand even the very basic science behind the subject and posting a completely uninformed and wrong summary.
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    Congrats on failing to understand even the very basic science behind the subject and posting a completely uninformed and wrong summary.

Im not sure why you would say this. Clearly it is not uninformed being as how i just got the information from a docter who specializes in this topic...Therefore the science would not be wrong either because her degree happens to be in this "science". Just because you believe different and maybe something different does work for you shows thats science can be wrong for some people. however this information is very well informed and true for the majority of people.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eating back excerise calories- Its a new thing and there is no need to manage that...
    MFP is designed to allow people to eat back their exercise calories.
    Many people exercise to create a calorie deficit (in which case you wouldn't eat the calories back). But MFP includes that deficit in the daily calorie goal that it sets for you. If you exercise, and then eat back the calories you burned, you've still preserved that same deficit. That said, MFP is notoriously inaccurate in estimating the number of calories you burned, so be careful.
    Metabolism- Eating smaller meals more frequently will help your metabolism eventually.
    False. But it does help some people control their appetite and portion size.

Would say more, but I've got to go to class. :-/
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you believe everything you're told. BTW, I have a bridge to sell ya.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

So how long have you been on MFP and how much have you lost?
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Are you a doctor? Because OP was quoting a doctor.

I agree with everything the OP doctor said.

Starvation mode is a ridiculous myth and numerous studies have been done to show that it only really happens in extreme situations and/or EDs. Here's one such study:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

There is no reason to stuff yourself and make yourself sick eating back exercise cals either, as someone else mentioned. If I tried to eat back all my exercise cals, I'd probably throw up from being so full.

Everyone should really just use common sense when they eat and exercise. If you are truly hungry (not just bored, craving a flavor etc.) then eat something sensible, if you eat an unhealthy meal or snack once in a while don't freak out-- just move on and if you are finding you don't have enough energy to walk around or function, then eat more and/or see a doctor.
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    Just so you all know im not really looking for why you believe its wrong, I asked the person most informed on this subject. Maybe something different works for you however i will always chose to believe a person whos career is to help people lose weight. I was not posting this to have you tell me im wrong, Im posting this for people who are asking questions and as i said for someone who is not able to go a nutritionist, Im giving some people an educated informed answer i was told, . However im not a docter and Felt it would be helpful to share so information instead of just spouting off what i think i know because i have lost weight.
  • azscr
    Options
    Ironanimal, do you have your degree in nutrition? It sounds like you do.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    Thanks for this information, I love it :)
  • samlankford
    Options
    I on average eat about 1700 calories a day, I have to for the exercise I do.. I have a desk job but I usually burn around 800 calories a day... 50% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat... think people need to find (usually through trial and error) what works for them... I personally cannot go without breakfast, want my shakeology in the morning with an added scoop of protein powder :bigsmile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Starvation mode is a ridiculous myth and numerous studies have been done to show that it only really happens in extreme situations and/or EDs. Here's one such study:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

There is no reason to stuff yourself and make yourself sick eating back exercise cals either, as someone else mentioned. If I tried to eat back all my exercise cals, I'd probably throw up from being so full.

Everyone should really just use common sense when they eat and exercise. If you are truly hungry (not just bored, craving a flavor etc.) then eat something sensible, if you eat an unhealthy meal or snack once in a while don't freak out-- just move on and if you are finding you don't have enough energy to walk around or function, then eat more and/or see a doctor.

His post was dead on and people netting only 600 calories a day shouldn't be giving advice regarding common sense. You might try using some in regard to your nutritoin.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options

His post was dead on and people netting only 600 calories a day shouldn't be giving advice regarding common sense. You might try using some in regard to your nutritoin.

I meet all of my goals for nutrients per day, every day, thanks.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Do you know why there's no literature on ****ing 'Starvation Mode'? Because that is a ridiculous scare-tactic name given to the very real effects of suppressed metabolism as a result of chronic undereating. Do you know why you eat your exercise calories back? To avoid stressing your body any more than it already is on a diet, reduce the rate of cortisol production versus not eating them. Do you know why people lose weight so fast eating hardly anything to start with? Because your glycogen stores empty out very quickly, and if you keep it up, you start losing lean mass ALONG with fat which can be avoided if you eat at a more sensible deficit.

Where do I get my information? Oh I don't know. Maybe all the MMA fighters and coaches I spend my time around in the gym. Maybe the Boxing coaches. Hell, maybe even the powerlifters at a club I know of. Maybe it's the personal trainers I used to work with, or the ex-russian military and internationally competitive swimming coaches I worked with. Maybe from the fact I am a nationally certified Swimming Coach. Maybe from my friend Tony, who's a sprinter and only never competed in the Olympics because of a bad back.

But what the **** does it matter where I got it from? If you point your mouse to some reputable sources, the information is out there on the web for you ALL to read.
    So how long have you been on MFP and how much have you lost?
    You can see my start date. And not a pound. But, that's kind of the point of the plan I'm on. See, I don't give two flakes of **** what I weigh. My plan is a body recomposition, so I slowly lose fat whilst building lean mass. I've posted my progress pics on ocassion to the success stories forum that show the change in bodyfat. OMG YOU CANT DOE DAT ON A DEFECIT. Actually, yes, you can, if you're patient.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in doing what works for YOU. If it works and you are healthy, great. If it doesn't, try something different. I would much rather listen to a dr and professional nutritionist than get caught up in the ridiculous never-ending argument on here between people who are different genders, ages, weight, etc than you are.

Thanks for sharing the info you found out from your doctor. It is apparently what he feels is best for YOU, in YOUR situation. Don't let a few rude people that insist on assuming everyone who doesn't think the same way they do are idiots, keep you from attaining your goals. Seriously, if they had all the answers for everyone, they wouldn't still be trying to lose weight, and would be millionaires from selling their 'secrets'.

Common sense, moderation, perseverance, and patience.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I meet all of my goals for nutrients per day, every day, thanks.

LOL! So sorry. I didn't realize you were only 3' 5". Carry on.
This discussion has been closed.