WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely ladies--

I've been extremely busy so haven't posted in a few days but I have been logging and responding to friends. It seems by the time I read all the wonderful posts its time to go to bed .

I thought I'd let you know I'm still here and will get caught up later.

I went shopping in my closet last night and found several tops in XL that I will be able to wear. :wink: However, the pants that I wore with them still won't fit. :grumble: :grumble: I'm not sure what to do. Several of my pants are getting really big :happy: and I don't want to go buy more when I have the others in my closet. I'll hold off for now.

Woke up to go to bathroom at 3:30AM and couldn't get back to sleep. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Had a work anniversary breakfast this morning. The restaurant is called Hemingway's and it is my favorite place for breakfast. I can't say I was totally good but compared to pre-MFP I did okay. It was hard to calculate but I did the best I could.

:flowerforyou: Barbie: You look great. All your hard work and line dancing has really paid off. You're an inspiration.

:flowerforyou: Kathy: I'm with you on the size 12. I'd be thrilled if I ever get to that size.

:flowerforyou: Jane: Praying for you and DH that you will both feel better soon.

:flowerforyou: Lin: Praying that your dad continues to get better. I went through something similar about a year ago. Remember to take care of yourself while taking care of him.

I must get to bed. Sorry I can't respond to everyone individually but I wish you all the best our your weight loss journey.

Remember :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good night!

Have a great Friday.

Micki
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovelies,
    Finally caught up reading all the posts but now I'm too tired to reply. :tongue:
    Tomorrow I have my 2nd session with the new trainer who nearly killed me. Today was the first day I could climb the stairs without being in pain so we'll be having a little chat about that.
    Tomorrow is also my weigh-in day. I don't feel like I've lost anything, and that would make 2 weeks without a loss. :cry:
    I've been good about packing lunches and making sure I eat breakfast. I changed my activity level in my MFP settings when school started since I"m on my feet so much. Maybe I should dial it back to the lower level?

More to come. Have a happy Friday everyone. :smile:

Polly
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1925484spnm6tfcy2.gif

:flowerforyou: I used to do a lot of baking…..I was well known for my chocolate chip cookies and pumpkin pie. When I started this weight loss journey I decided to give up food and eating as recreation. That included baking as a hobby. So one day I gave all my baking pans to the thrift shop and all the flour, sugar, and other baking products to some young friends who like to bake.

:flowerforyou: Another thing I did was to make the decision to plan what I’d eat for the day and stick to the plan. I eat meals and snacks at a pre-planned time so when I go to “eating events”, I usually don’t eat. It took awhile for my friends to get used to the idea that I don’t eat at events and now they think nothing of it. At first they would try to serve something that they considered healthy or low calorie and I finally was able to explain that I wasn’t eating anything at the event.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Back on the subject of abstainers and moderators….I’m sure they aren’t absolutes but an interesting way of looking at behavior. The most important thing is that if it works don’t fix it and if someone else is doing something that works for them, don’t tell them they should be doing something different.

:bigsmile: On this thread, the only time we give each other advice is when someone asks; otherwise we mind our own business.

:bigsmile: My line dance group is performing next week so today we practiced for two hours in the afternoon….I went to my regular class this morning…..tomorrow I’m teaching half of the morning class and practicing for the performance in the afternoon

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

942810vcwbka8k5c.gif

September Resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    * walk with hubby three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day
    * finish the rock project in the yard
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Come from a place of love
    *Don’t take things personally
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Got up earlier than usual this morning (could be because I fell asleep on the sofa last night so got a couple of extra ZZZs more than usual.

DeeDee – my choice was “Who Killed Mom”. I heard a review of it and a discussion with the author and it's supposed to be very a very touching and realistic account of dealing with an aging parent. I lost my parents very young so I think sometimes I read things about older people to have the vicarious experience of older parents.

Gail – neat trick with the chequebook, doesn’t work when you do online only though. I don’t think I’ve written a cheque in 6 or 7 years now.

Nancy – you catching yourself on accountability was hilarious. I ski Whitewater too, but it’s really about the food – I have all the Whitewater cookbooks and absolutely love them. Haven’t cracked them since I’ve been on the diet. Maybe I’ll calculate some of the recipes this weekend, hopefully the vegetarian ones will be not too bad. I’m trying to be a moderator on the wine/alcohol too, but I think it’s what triggers weight gain. Everytime I have a glass of wine, I seem to go up .2 pound.
    The opossum is so cute….when I lived in the Fraser Valley there was a mother and babies that used to come up to my patio doors and all line up with their little paws on the window waiting for snacks.

Janehadji – fou fou drinks really does describe them well!

Kathy – so sorry you are down today. Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself.
    With the salmon, just put it in tinfoil with a little lemon and about 15 minutes per inch at 350F. You can open it up and check with a fork just to see if it is cooked in the middle. I like my quite moist but you may want it cooked more. Oh I just read you don’t like lemon, how about dill and a little Greek youghurt mixed up together?

Meg – thank heaven this isn’t a thread where people get nasty, we’d probably not have anyone after a couple of days. Did you really mean tobacco or Tabasco? I was going to ask how you put tobacco in the sauce (after all my daughter has Tom Ford perfume that is Vanille Tabac). Congratulations on the book contract!

Lin – hope your pillow works. I’ve never seen one for side sleepers – how about face sleepers which is how I wake up. Thx for the virtual hug – much appreciated.

Cathy – my daughter did the South Beach diet and did lose weight, but was she every cranky!!

Michele – you are a master baker. Wow, working at your place must be a treat. They probably line up or draw straws for the chance to do your job. Thanks for the info about ginger – I use it a lot and I’m glad it’s good for me. I just love the flavor.

Today I logged all my food in advance and then forgot to eat most of the lunch. Oh well, it’s there for tomorrow. I forgot to weigh myself this morning so I don’t know if the salmon was magic or not this time. I had the second steak tonight so maybe I’ll remember to weigh tomorrow and see if I get double magic – one can only dream.

It’s super busy at work, I’ve got 2 of my 3.2 people away from work on extended sick leave. I think we might need to actually hire a temp this time. The training sometimes takes more time than just working extra and doing it ourselves. Still, if this is going to keep up, it’s probably better to have the extra person available. I can hardly wait for Friday night (2 favourite shows on CBC and heaven knows there’s not much onTV usually).

Oh my gosh, it’s 11:15 already and I was going to go to bed early tonight. By the time I downloaded the updates (which took FOREVER) and then caught up on all the posts, time just flew by. Really enjoy reading all of your posts everyone.

Good night, sleep tight, I think I’ll leave the rest of that little ditty alone.

Have a good night (and hopefully you’re not up all night again Liz).

Lila
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Right now I'm making some garlic bread. I like to make it ahead of time and then just cut it and freeze it. This way when I need a piece, I just have to pull it out of the freezer, I don't have to heat up the oven and it goes much faster (am I lazy, or what?)

Michele
    [/quote
    Michele - whatever you are, it is certainly NOT lazy! You always manage to cram so much into your days! x
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Very happy Friday to all!!! I have been so busy at school that the week just flew by! I really need to settle into a routine soon.

Last weekend I planned all my meals for the week, shopped for the food, prepared and froze the meals. It made this week so much easier. I am going to make that my weekend routine.

Several ladies have been talking about shopping in their closets. I love doing that and need to add that task to this weekend also. Cool weather is heading here quickly and I am not sure how much if any of last year's winter clothes will fit. I may need to go on a real shopping spree at the outlet stores!:love::love: I am within just a few pounds of my goal, but have been stuck for about 4 months. I saw the doctor yesterday, was up 2 pounds:angry: , but she says I am down 4.5 pounds of fat:happy: ,(up in muscle:flowerforyou: , up in water:grumble: ), so I am in a healthy %fat zone. Clothes are fitting differently, but I am between sizes in pants. Need to lose a few:smile: or gain a few:frown: . I WILL few lose a few:bigsmile: More gym time is in my future. I think I need to start working with Bob the Body Builder again. (Yes, that is what he has on his business card:laugh: )

The posts here are so motivating. Thanks to all of you. It really keeps me grounded. Diets were always hard to stick to, but this healthy lifestyle change has actually been easy for me. The support from this group makes it fun!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Deb A
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I don't have a lot of time this morning, I'll try to pop back in later and comment on some more posts!!!

Michele:smile: you lazy:huh::noway: , not with everything you do!!!!

I have to tell you what I did after my meeting yesterday morning . I went and treated myself to a pedicure and it felt so good. The girl who does mine told me about a new store that opened here recently, White House/Black Market, she told me I should go, the clothes look like me. So that's just what I did afterwards. I have to say walking in and looking around I thought there is nothing in here that's going to fit me, even the xl looked small, but what the heck I'll give it a try. I was more than surprised, they fit, even some of the larges fit:bigsmile:. They just kept bringing clothes in for me to try on, I know they thought I was crazy, I'd put something on and come out of the dressing room and look in the big mirror with a big smile on my face, I was loving everything I put on, my gosh I have a waist, and while it may still be large, it looks tiny to me:laugh: . Needless to say I spent way more money than I planned on, but I got lots of pretty fall clothes and it made me feel so good, motivated me to take an extra long walk in the afternoon. I think I smiled all day!!!

Well, I really have to run now, will try to pop in later.
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and I am also saying hello to the 160's on the scale today! Hooray!

My day started with a text to my phone at 5:20am. Really? I wouldn't text anyone at 5a unless it was an emergency. To boot, it is from a number I don't recognize. It woke me up, so now I'm showered, dressed and ready for the day.

@ Lila - I do bank online, but also still keep the check register in paper format. It is easy enough and is a great reference at various times throughout the year. Guess I've got one foot in the technology and one in the past. It works for us.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Gail
  • sedavis62
    Options
    Good Morning :)

I'm new to MFP and stumbled upon this wonderful thread. I'd love to join this friendly & supportive group. I tend to be a lurker, but will jump in from time to time. Thanks for being here!

Sue from MA
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Well the BioFreeze relief was very short lived. I'm waiting for my script to be ready, if that doesn't help I may bust down and get a cortisone shot. Enough about me, I have a few minutes to comment on a few posts before I have to get my day started.

Lin-Hope your new pillow helped last night! I was looking on Sears website and saw a few interesting ones there but haven't decided yet.

Cindy - That was funny the way you told it too!:laugh:

Cathy- Sorry your brace isn't working right yet! Believe me I understand about getting down in the dumps when you are hurting and frustrated! Hang in there, hopefully it'll be right soon/:flowerforyou:

Tigress-Before my knee flared up so bad I tried water Zumba and had a lot of fun with it! It's easier to hide if you get the moves wrong when you're in the water.:smile:

Gail-Thanks for the salmon tip!

Janehadji-Thanks for the good thoughts!

Janemartin02-Have a great time with your granddaughter!

Michele-Thanks for the tip and link about ginger. I will certainly check it out. I do use fresh ginger in a few recipes already so it sounds interesting.

Liz-Enjoy the 3K!

Barbie-This is why this thread is so great compared to the belittling on other threads because of how you run it!:bigsmile:

Lila=Thanks for the tip for salmon too!

DebA-That's great news from your doc! You are doing great! I feel the same way-the support here makes it fun!

DeeDee-Sounds like you had a lot of fun shopping! Enjoy your new wardrobe!

Sue for MA- Welcome! I too was a lurker for awhile before I joined in and I'm so glad that I finally jumped in here! This is a fantastic thread with wonderful, kind, supportive people!!! I can't say enough good things about this group!:heart:

Have been on here wayyyy to long. Sorry if I didn't comment more individually, but if you posted I read it!

Kathy :drinker:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Hello all – it’s Friday and somewhat overcast here today. All the football fans will be disappointed if they have to sit in the rain. I think the way the year has been going they won’t need the umbrella. I believe they think we may get no rain whatsoever but it will be cold over the weekend. So much for my weather report for Central Iowa!

Okay, 1st night with the new pillow and my neck feels a bit better today but again, that could be just a coincidence. Or it could be the fact that I pretty much have been using any inexpensive pillow I could find. I think it’s odd but I come from a family where having 2 pillows under your head was the norm---2 skinny pillows. I’m not sure why and never thought about it but now I think maybe it was quite odd.

The pillow I got is a Beautyrest by Simmons----it says on the packaging “spa experience designed for side sleepers. Extra firm support.” They also had pillows for back sleepers as well as stomach sleepers.

It’s much better than what I had. Of course beating a $4 on sale no name pillow probably isn’t difficult right?

Have lots of calls to make today for my dad and his business. Got 3 taken care of yesterday but have a long list of places/people to call today. One thing that always is difficult is scheduling the annual furnace servicing/check. That company is always so booked up and then when you get an appointment it’s within a 4 hour block. Plus they call before they come out----you don’t answer the phone and you’re cancelled. Is that standard in your area?

So need to run along, thank you all for being here and posting all about your life. It is lovely to have so many friends who understand!!

Lin
    :heart: :drinker: :heart:

PS Called the service company. I have an appt in Oct. I think I probably should have added that getting an appt with them when I'm going to be in that area is difficult. It's 2 1/2 hours away so I couple their visit with other things I have to do in the area. Check another one off the list!! Happy day to all.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It's a drippy, drizzly Portland morning, but TGIF just the same. :flowerforyou: Track or not to track, that is the question. I've gone every day this week and why on earth would I not go just because I'd get all wet? Yuck, I don't wanna, lol. I could always go upstairs and do Yoga this morning instead, and start up again with aerobics. Let the indoor fun begin!

Deb A, I'm right there with you, inbetween pant sizes. :grumble: I'm having a hard time getting the last few pounds off, but by gosh and by golly, I'm going to do it before the end of the year. We're running pretty close together, you and I, I want to lose 75. Hopefully the remaining 6 lbs will all come off my very stubborn saddle bags. :ohwell: Thanks for the note about shopping in your closet, I need to follow suit. I've been wearing the same old things and could use a change of scenery. :bigsmile:

Nancy, you can't put your canner away yet, the fun has only just begun! :tongue: If I lived next door to you I'd be giving you canning projects like crazy. For instance, I'll be picking apples soon and you'd have to make apple butter or sauce. Then there are the concord grapes from a friend's vines that will need to be turned into jelly. And for goodness sake, there are scads of sweet red peppers to roast for canning, plus plain tomato sauce and pickled hot peppers including Escabeche, which consists of jalapenos, carrots and onions pickled in vinegar & water with a tiny bit of olive oil. Oh, and I have the recipe for traditional Salsa Verde :love: if you're interested. You'd need to pick up some tomatillos, cilantro and serrano chilies. I've never canned it, but I roast extra tomatillos and serranos which I freeze in batches for making the salsa later on. I hope you find the ingredients for canning some salsa this weekend. Hang tough in regards to your scale. I've had the same problem lately, it's frustrating! :explode: But I know it's my own darn fault. I've just been eating too much, period. And do you think I could give up having a glass of wine or two at night? :noway: Singing the "sigh" song here, too.

Barbie, you set such a wonderful example in everything you do. :flowerforyou:

Michele, lazy?? :noway: Hardly!

Clock says time to get moving here. If I wait too long I get busy with everything else and my exercise time takes a back seat.
    Eat less, move more. That's my motto for today.

:smile: jb who might soon be soggy.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Friday!

It's time for the annual Terry Fox run at our school. A fund raiser for cancer research - today the whole school runs around the block, not just the intermediate students. Upside :happy: we all get to be outside and moving on a lovely sunny morning. Downside :grumble: my student miss band class, which is my prep time. Sigh.

OK, I'm saying it, right here, right now. I will go to the gym after school and complete my usual workout or attend a spin class.:explode: Hah. committed. This must be posted because at the moment the little monster on my shoulder is whispering, "It's Friday, take a break, you're working too hard, just come home and have a glass of wine :mad: " Posted is committed, because someone will ask me, "Nancy, how was the Friday class...." Thanks, girls. We're all in this together.

M – “Living with more joy” What a fantastic goal.

Janehaji – we are on the BC side of the border in Creston – straight up off the end of the Idaho panhandle. Mexico sounds fantastic – all that fresh tropical fruit to enjoy, along with (or in!) your fou-fou drinks on the beach :wink: !

Kathy, I can sympathize with your plateau, because I’m on one too. Sigh.:grumble: Hope the ice pack helps the pain. I use one on my foot almost every day.

Eeewwww, Wesscg, I’ve never seen a possum before. :laugh: Thanks for sharing the picture.

Meg, I don’t know the back-story, so reading that your dog looks good since he turned yellow sounds very odd. :noway: Why is it a good thing your dog is yellow? I’ll bet your feeling energetic because your body & your brain are celebrating all that exercise and good eating!

I make my own bean sprouts – it’s really easy.

Speaking of cooking salmon, I often poach mine. Just throw it into a pan, add water about half way up the side of the filet, if I feel creative I add something like a slice or two of lemon, herbs, a drop of liquid smoke (fake that fancy grilled flavour) and simmer with the lid on for a few minutes. Works like a charm.

Cathy I’m sorry to hear about your brace. :sad: How frustrating! I am always suspicious of a diet plat like South Beach that requires me to pay for the “privilege”. There’s enough good nutrition information out there so you can learn what you need to know without it. Tracking your food, cutting back on the pre-packaged stuff and the obvious junk food is always the place to start.

Oh Michelle, I love candied ginger and ginger in almost any form. :love: Now I have a good excuse to indulge. Once you get the hang of it, score keeping in Farkle is quick and easy. My students have no trouble with it.

Liz, have fun on the 3K walk. How old is your daughter now?

Barbie, it sounds like you are dancing the days away! :drinker:

Lila, Ah Whitewater, and food. Pre-MFP I could convince myself that a morning’s skiing = a plate of yam fries. :noway: Now I just enjoy the Oso Negro coffee! I use the cookbooks too, my problem is the recipes make such large amounts and I am cooking for three. Well, J’boy eats for two, but still…

Deb A, “Bob the Body Builder”???? :laugh: I think I’d hire the guy just for his sense of humour!

DeeDee, I am so pleased to read about your clothes-shopping spree. I’ll bet you look fantastic.

OK, time to get dressed, pack the gym bag and rouse the teen age boy. Life marches along.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 14.6 hours
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    JB - OK, OK. My cold room shelves are only half full. And I love the product, and even the process of "putting food by". I shall purchase another dozen jars (or so) and get busy with the tomatoes and peppers this weekend. You're inspiring me.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    JB - OK, OK. My cold room shelves are only half full. And I love the product, and even the process of "putting food by". I shall purchase another dozen jars (or so) and get busy with the tomatoes and peppers this weekend. You're inspiring me.
    Voila! It worked! :laugh:
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone, and happy weekend!

Ok, trying something new today: keeping a page next to the posts and typing comments as I read them :).

CathyB, I’m sorry the brace isn’t working out, but hopefully they’ll figure it out and get it working. I know what it’s like to be down in the dumps when your health isn’t keeping up with your goals. Try not to let it hold you back everywhere though – there’s no point in throwing out the baby with the bathwater, right?

As to the Southbeach diet, I can tell you my mother has lived on it for years (and my MIL on a modified form) and it works great for her. She lost a great deal of weigh including her belly and has maintained for some time. I don’t know that age has anything to do with it other than forcing yourself to break the carb addiction – my mom started in her 60s and still does it now in her 70s. I can tell you it’s amazing what happens when you see how carbs have fogged your mind. I personally don’t watch carbs that closely, but it’s only because most veggie proteins are carb-based (beans primarily); however, I still don’t eat a lot of breads or pasta just by dint of having been low-carb for a long time. If you’re borderline diabetic, you won’t really have any choice, you’ll have to start watching carbs. So, having said all that, I would say SB is pretty easy to follow, has a lot of simple modifications, and has allowances so it’s not completely restrictive. It’s a good way of life.

Lin, I updated my iphone and ipod yesterday – it was really slow. When it started it showed it was going to take hours! Fortunately, it didn’t .

Cindy, I got the humor 

Jane, yay for seeing your granddaughter! Mine is my joy. I told my daughter to wrap her in duct tape to keep her from growing too much before Christmas.

Michele, nice one on the sneaky brownies! I can’t (or won’t) keep secrets, so I always let the family in on anything I do, but last night I had the kiddos try the choco-chip cookie dough dip first before telling them about the “secret” ingredient – they were amazed – and loved it anyway! And my in-laws love garlic bread that way, only they take “lazy” one step further and buy the bread from the store that comes frozen and pre-cut . Good job on keeping up with the exercise too.

Liz, bad news about the air quality . Hopefully a breeze will start pushing that smoke on out. Isn’t it amazing how time flies?!

Micki, hang tight with your existing pants – it won’t be long before you’ll be in the ones that go with your tops. I can tell you from my own experience I’m moving into and out of sizes right now almost faster than I can keep up! It’s a good think I refuse to throw away my clothes .

I can relate to the waking up and not being able to get back to sleep. My husband and I have rotating sleep schedules – one of us will come to bed late, wake the other up, the other will then move to the couch, then the cat will wake up and want to go out, . . . it’s amazing we get any sleep at all . I find it really hard to get back to sleep if I’ve woken up after two or more hours of sleep – too many years of little sleep. Usually I just give up and log onto the internet .

Hi, Polly – Don’t you love having someone (new) who will push you a little? It’s good to get out of your comfort zone – before you know it, you’ll be amazed at how much more you can do! Anyway, good luck getting off that plateau.

Lila, I can’t really relate to forgetting to eat . Seriously, though, I’m right now swaying back and forth between wanting comfort foods (soups!) and to not eat at all. I’m not doing very well at storing up for winter ;). Good luck with work.

Deb, I’m trying to get my daughter to do the shop and cook on the weekends thing – I think it will help her have food on hand, but so far with a young baby they really are just hanging in there. Good for you though – it really helps if you don’t have time to plan a meal each day.

I love that your trainer is Bob! We love, love, love Elizabethtown, and in the movie the Bob the Builder movies play a crucial role . Good luck with the shopping, wherever it is.

DeeDee, they have one of those stores in Annapolis – my sister was pleasantly surprised when she tried on some clothes there and they were too big! They cut them very well. It’s supposed to be one of Michelle Obama’s favorite places too.

Gail, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’m expecting to drop into the 170s this week – I’m jealous, but also right behind you . The text might have been one of those spam ones. It’s a reason I don’t allow phones in our bedroom. My husband’s friends text all.night.long. Grr.

Sue, Welcome!

Kathy, sorry the BioFreeze didn’t work. Knees are hard – they do most of the grunt work so don’t get a break even when they need one. Good luck with finding some relief.

Lin, I hope the pillow continues to work out. I can tell you, I carry all of my stress in my shoulders and neck AND I’m a side sleeper like you. I had a chair massage last time I was at my hair salon (why yes, they ARE full-service!) and she told me to a) do the stretches (neck rolls, etc.) and try some sort of heat compress around my neck whenever I’m relaxing. We have one that is filled with corn – I pop it in the microwave for a minute or so, then wrap it around my neck and shoulders – it really helps!

Good luck with your calls today. This time of year I would say it’s pretty normal for the furnace people to be booked up, but I’ve never had any problems with ours cancelling if I don’t answer – that’s just rude!

Whew! That’s a crazy way to respond to everyone, but I feel accomplished now! I’m done with resistance training this morning, another lovely day on the East Coast so another walk today at lunch, and then a nice weekend with my husband and his kiddos. I hope you all enjoy yours as well.

Cheers,

M.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Ladies,

Just a quick hello from MT. A bear crawled into our neighbors house in the afternoon...they came home to find him still inside and rather freaked out. So, we are now all on "bear Patrol". It's that time of year out here...they want food and a warm place to sleep!

Only 8 more days here and then we head back to SC. I am trying to get things settled before our friends come next week. Spent all day outside picking up limbs, raking and tidying up things. DH pointed out that next time we come it will all be covered in snow and no one will know if I did or didn't do this stuff...but I like to leave things looking nice:tongue:

I read posts to catch up and send my best of those of you with family problems, hurt bodies or hearts and congratulations to those doing well.

Barbie: LOVE the before and afters! Thanks for posting...and for the comments about what works for one doesn't always for another! :flowerforyou:

You all are the BEST:heart: Kackie
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to my Gal Pals,

Its early weigh-in today as I go see the doctor for the results of all my tests, I’m almost afraid to step on the scales… I want to close my eyes and have someone else peek for me…

196lbs!!! That means 4 lbs lost this week!! Yippppeeeee!!!! I got on the scales three times because I thought it was broken!! I have been so very good this week, it’s amazing what the threat of my doctor’s glare will do! I will double check at the doctor’s office to make sure.

Wahooooooooo!! I smashed though my 200lb brick wall after years of leaning up hard against it with my little pick axe in hand chipping away at it BUT I did it!!! I am doing cart wheels in my mind right now (far too dangerous in real life!) Thank you to all you ladies who helped me with your virtual pick axes and support! Yippeee!!! Heeheehee…. Okay, deep breath…… heeheehee

One rule I try to always follow is to eat all the food groups together even in a snack, so I would never eat a whole apple but eat ½ and have a couple crackers with cheese alongside as the protein, starch and complex carbohydrate all feed your blood sugar at a different rate (learned that from a nutritionist when I was diagnosed with hypocycemia) and it seems to be working!

The frost only hit the roof-tops and not down to ground level so my garden is still intact and this last official week is summer is lovely and warm. I will listen to the radio a little closer to hopefully avoid any more midnight pajama dancing in the greenery.

Cousin is coming along as well as can be expected, (he never took real good care of himself), and without a voice box all he can do is lay back and listen … good for any man.
    Carojrrn– I have been using a water pillow for years since my whiplash injury, I love it. You put as little or as much water in the inner bladder as is comfortable and it has a comfortable poly surround.

Deedee- I love Halloween, its costumes and decorations. My decorations this year are still behind flood boxes so it will be skimpy at best if my son decides to decorate but I will be away.

Glendalight- good for you taking along your own fish dish, you have to look after yourself first. Soon you will be joining me in the 20lb. dance!

Barbie – love your pictures, great motivation! Love your knitting too, that takes a great deal of work.

Lila – if book club is only one night a month and these ladies have done their best baking for you, you must at least have one!! Just one and have a big salad for supper before your meeting.

Auntiebk- good for you on having an exercise area! I have tried putting a rebounder and a stationary bike in here but unfortunately it is a small house and my non-exercising hubby poo-pooed them and after the flood they now reside in the overcrowded garage and consequently are not in use.

Lizmil79 – Krispy Kreme twice in one day? Your boss is a torturer! Congrats on only one!!

Nancy – I didn’t think of counting my late night garden venture as calories burned!! I am slipping!

Kathy – a Vogue model who is plus-size at a 12??? Augghhh!!! This world has gone squirrely with its vanity sizing and they have size 0 and double 00, who are they kidding. I see size 0 and I wonder if the person is invisible! I am in the 1X, 2X camp and have no idea what size I will be really be when I hit my ideal weight. What was wrong with the original sizing when patterns were first invented? It worked for over 150 years, it was universal!

Mwheatcraft – scheduling your walk on the calendar is a good idea! I am like you, I sleep so much better and deeper when my room is cool but I have never gone to bed early to avoid temptation!

Meg- good for you with all your exercising, I have been rather lax on my walking but trying to make up with gardening and housework.

Yardtigress- good tip about the bean sprouts in place of pasta, I will have to keep that on my radar the next time the guys want spaghetti.

Barbie – I am a moderator, if it is something I truly love that is not so good for me, chocolate being the main one, I get the tastiest (won’t waste my calories on any old thing) and have one square as a reward if I have been good. Two of my favourites are the Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with mint or chilli. Yummm.

Walker54- isn’t it lovely when someone else notices. I have now lost 20 and my hubby hasn’t noticed at all but that doesn’t concern me. After all, it took him 3 days to notice I had the cast removed from my leg and that was only after someone else pointed it out! Lol! Head in the clouds, that man!

Michelle – cousin had his voice box removed due to throat cancer. He was a lifelong smoker.

Lila – I am still pushing my luck with the tomatoes, I have two large trays filled with semi to really ripe tomatoes but I want to give the last ones outside all the sunlight they can get!

Sundance – glad your headache is gone, they can be crippling when they get a good hold.

Wessecg – a possum in your house? Are they docile little creature or more the destructive type? They don’t live this far north so have never seen one.

Gardengail – so sorry to hear about your husband’s cancer that is really worrying. Lucky you that your mother was so forward thinking! I had what was called an energy burn from the ultra violet rays on a cloudy day when I was 15 and for years could not go out in the sun at all. Emergency doctors thought I was an accident victim as my face was swollen so badly it split! Painful!

Amanda – so sorry to hear about your cousin, it’s too bad he didn’t lose the weight, perhaps he will now.

Laura80111- glad to hear your hubby’s job is going well. I love the bike rides too and exercising indoors just isn’t the same but I guess that is what we must deal with
    Janehadji – That’s wonderful that your daughter got such a good job! It’s always hard when they move away though, so true. We have gone to Mexico on several occasions in late winter, usually about the time it hits -35c and colder. It’s not mystery why your neighbours are from Alberta!!

Kathy – ohh, take it easy with that knee! Ouch. Be kind to it. My son just started a new job and twisted his kneecap so that it pinched the cartilage and he was off work for a few days. We got him a knee brace and tonight he tries it out back at the job. I am hoping it goes okay otherwise he will be looking for a new job!

Kackie - a bear in the house!! Wow! That would be a little too much for me!!

All this talk about winter coats, I just realized that after almost 12 years of the same winter coat (wasn’t going to spend money on a new one until I lost the weight… haha) , last winter I broke down and bought two on sale, a knee length and an ankle length. While I am certain I won’t have faded away to nothing before this winter so they should still be good… but next year…. Shopping!! Coats are very necessary in this part of the world… very necessary!!

Just got a call from my son to pick him up, he has had everything stolen from his locker at work, glasses, knee brace, keys, everything!! It was a co-worker! Hope it was caught on video!!

Well I am off to work in an hour with a big smile on my face; I wonder who will be today’s surprise employee?

Hugs to any that I have missed and to all you new people, hugs to all of you!
    Have a wonderful day♥!!

Kate

Yipppeeee!!!!!!!! heeeheeheee
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love my Fridays:love:

Only work half day and I'm meeting a friend for lunch at a Mexican Resturant...what a challenge that will be:huh: Had my Salmon last night and once again the scale cooperated...but today isn't my weigh in day so will need to hold the loss until next Wednesday.

I love that my hubby is so supportive but I find that I must take what he says and then not fall back on "he thinks I'm okay where I am" Last night he was questioning how much I'd lost, how much more I wanted to lose and when I said I had #4 left and that since our Las Vegas weekend I'd not lost, he was all "hey it was our vacation, it was your Birthday, it's only #4 left, there's no hurry, etc" Sometimes that kind of encouragment keeps me from working harder... I know that I have to keep focused or I will start back the wrong way ...I CAN DO THIS:bigsmile:

Wessecg- I too have inherited fur, back in the 1920's my grandfather had the choice of buying a mink or a russian fox for my grandmother...since everyone was buying mink he opted for the russian fox...so I have a beautiful stole of my grandmother's I love it but it's way to fancy to wear just anywhere:wink:

Lin- glad you found a coat that you can wear this winter without spending any money. Hoping that new pillow helps:flowerforyou:

Kathy- I cook my salmon in the Microwave steamer bags with a bit of Creole or Blackened seasoning...cook on high for about 3 /12 min. comes out very moist and no mess to clean up . The other way is have hubby BBQ it:flowerforyou:

Cathy-so sorry your knee brace is not working, hoping they get it adjusted properly:flowerforyou:

Michele- I crown you the "Baking Queen":flowerforyou: I could never subsitute prune puree hubby's IBS would hit overdrive:noway:

Amanda- prayers for your cousin, hoping his surgery goes smoothly:flowerforyou:

Barbie- I love your encouragement and I think I have a bit of both Abstainer and Moderator in my:drinker:

Deb A- with only a few left to lose, you are sure to do it...you've come so far not to succeed would just not do:drinker:

DeeDee- shopping and finding new clothes that are in a smaller size is always a pick me up:drinker:

Gail- Who in their right mind text's at 5:20 am:noway:

jb-when we lived in Oregon I used to can, but since we've been in Colorado in the city I haven't done any for 20 years:sad: I do miss it and eating the fruits of my labor.

Nancy-Yep you logged it and I know you will do it...whatever it takes to keep us motivated:drinker:

janehaji- I think I can fit in your suitcase...you may have to pay a bit more because your luggage would be over #50...but I'm sure I can fit:wink: in a small trunk:laugh:

Kackie-:noway: a bear:noway: You be careful and keep on the lookout.

Kate-:drinker: Congrats on the #4 loss:drinker:

Welcome to the newbies you have come to the best group on MFP for total encouragment:flowerforyou:

I have to complete payroll and clean up my desk...I really do love my Fridays. Hubby is working 1-9 so I will have the evening to myself and I'm really looking forward to it...will need to find something productive to do...there's so much to do ...I will start small maybe sorte clothes in the basement...I'll let you know how successful I am:wink:

Laura80111:smile:
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Popped in here a few times to catch up and read all the inspiring posts, never have time to post. Such an active thread!:smile:

Lin, I think I need new pillows also. Always end up with two skinny ones, they flatten so quickly. Not sure what I would get though. I need to be on my stomach to fall asleep (usually happens within 30 seconds);:yawn: I wake up on my back and go back to sleep on my side curled up.:ohwell:

Jb, reading all about your canning and gardening is making me hungry.:bigsmile: I would love to have a garden when I move. Right now all my free time & money is spent on making the landscaping look beautiful for my neighbors to see. Would much rather see that time & money go to something useful.:flowerforyou:

M, I had the same idea this morning, just got to your post.:laugh: There is no other way to keep track of everything. I too have my word document open alongside MFP. Just have to be careful and keep them separate from work items.:happy:

Kate, WOW, I can hear the Yipees all the way here, congrats! :flowerforyou: What a great way to start the weekend.

Yay, I made it to the end of the posts!:bigsmile:

Weather here in New England has finally changed, feels more like fall. It has been such a hot summer. I just hope winter doesn’t happen too soon, I really love the fall! The perfect time for riding, especially after the first frost when all bugs are gone.:smile:

I need to go shopping in my closet this weekend, maybe donate a few items to Goodwill next week. I’ve got to get anything baggy out of the house. I will be taking measurements Sunday, first time since the day I started 4 weeks ago. I know I will see big changes. It’s amazing what happens when you eat less than you burn, so simple, yet so difficult because I love to eat.:happy: I think I am definitely going to succeed this time!:drinker:

Lynn

September goals
    Lose 1 lb / week (first week was a bigger loss, don’t expect that again)
    Continue to log in my food choices the night before, such a great help
    Get back in the saddle at least once this month (literally – haven’t ridden in a while)
    Have at least 2 bedrooms painted by the end of the month (selling house this fall)