WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hello to all! After work today I walked for an hour with my neighbor, instead of going to the Y. Such a beautiful evening, too. We walked 3 miles. There are several hills so it literally is uphill, both ways.

Liz – what is value shopping? Bargain-hunting?

Micki / Laura – going through relatives’ homes…parent or not, is a big job. DH’s two sisters passed away within 3 weeks of each other and we had that task.

Several of you were talking about long hair and your spouse’s preference for it. I’ve almost always had short hair and DH doesn’t care at all. When it is newly cut he calls me Spike!

Polly – parchment paper can be your friend for freezing items. We use it there and, of course, for baking.

BigPal – 34 years of marriage is a wonderful milestone. Congratulations. I read you were married at 14 – so young! (Although I married at 18 and we just had our 39th!)

Lentigogirl – I think the red dress must be in the trendy ‘retro’ category now. Wear it often!

Jane – a knitting group sounds great. All the ones I know about are during hours I am at work.

I stayed up much too late last night so will say good night for now. I’ve started a.m. / p.m. checking the thread, too – a lot is posted every day!

Gail
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this group. Funny, I was just thinking that I'd really like to meet more women my age on this site, and you seem like a lovely group of women. I'm not a teacher, but I do a lot of education through my work. My September goals are:

Get at least 7 hours of sleep most nights
    Do some cardio at least 5 days a week, and serious strength training at least twice a week
    Reduce the amount of packaged food I eat
    Do a better job of managing my social eating and drinking
    Find one new form of exercise that I enjoy
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for your stories about teen aged boys and laundry :noway: you’ve given me a good giggle and the assurance that we Mums with Sons are all in this together.

I did the fitness walk/run with my worried girls today – we ran 20 seconds and walked for 40. I downloaded a free app for my iPhone called “gym boss” which times intervals and gives a nice loud BEEP BEEP each time we are scheduled to change pace. Highly recommended! I think it helped because it wasn't just me telling them to run, walk, run, it was the way-cool iPhone!

There are five girls who usually hide at the end of the group. Today two of them kept in front to me, rather than put up with my cheering them on, which meant they were faster than me, which was the whole point! :bigsmile: The other three made the whole run with me. I also picked up a couple of lolly-gaggers from the grade 5 class.

I put a timer up on the board when we leave so students can see & record their times after each run. I know those girls felt pretty good about making it in under 20 minutes! :drinker: Now I have to make sure I am up, ready and enthusiastic every morning so I can keep them going. Whew.

Lentigogirl, thanks for the link to The Girls On the Run site. I see some good ideas there.

Congratulations on your weight loss, 12774, and even more on getting back to your water aerobics classes. :drinker:

Kathy, when my mother sorted all our stuff from school years she threw the things she was sentimental about into a box (one for each of us) and gave the boxes to us. :noway: I had no problem throwing out my grade one cookbook and my high school swimming certificates. Now that I have grown up children of my own I understand her strategy.

Gini, thank you for the advice about zumba. I missed the intro class – it was on Monday – but I can go to a drop in class next week. Oh :ohwell: yes I can!

Laura, you will get back on track with the kettlebells & CD. Kettlebells kill me! :explode: Especially the squats - slow or fast.

Cathy, you are doing the right thing, getting back into the pool :flowerforyou: Do what you can and concentrate on “just keep moving”.

Yardtigress, I don’t think I’ve ever been more hungry during the making than the eating of meal, but don’t fight it, it sounds like a good thing!

Oh Meg, I’m sorry you’re having trouble getting the work/food routine balanced. :flowerforyou: I eat the same breakfast and lunch every work day. It saves all kinds of decision making and wondering.

Robin, tap shoes!!! I love it. :bigsmile: Will Bodi and Ritter be part of your routine? Being over 50 is marvellous. Nothing to prove, lots of things to play with.

Linda, if I ever have to call the emergency nurse I hope I get you. :love: Did your DD hide the Halloween candy?

Oh JNHeff – your quote is going on my wall too.

Polly – great job getting to the gym after work in spite of the headache. :drinker: Did it feel good in the end?

I'm off .... chores are done and the Kindle is calling me to get horizontal and do a little reading.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 9.0 hours
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.
  • mazaron
    Options
    P.S.

Thursday is my day to record my weight too - because :blushing: if I've gained a bit from weekend indulgences it's usually levelled off by then. Is that escapism, self-delusion, or self-preservation? :laugh:

NJC
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well ladies, it was day two at aquacise for me and it went even better than last time (though I did think of your humourous and encouraging comments as I struggled with dry clothes on a damp body!:laugh: )

I had the grandboys over for lunch today(three and five years old and as cute as anything) - they made pancakes and packed school supplies for third world countries. So fun! And I had several young women over for a barbeque tonight so it was a full day. But I scanned in the burger patty for supper ,yikes- a whopping 500 calories!! :noway: Wow, that takes a bite out of the daily total!

lentigogirl - I loved the red dress story. It made me smile. 50 is so freeing:happy:

robin and all you other dancers - dance like nobody is watching! - again, freedom 50!

Nancy - the grassfires are under control but scary for a while there
    I think you are doing the absolue right thing with those young girls - coming alongside them, encouraaging them, letting them experience some success and feel good about themselves. I had forgotten about Reviving Ophelia - I will have to look for it again. It is so easy for them to hear the negative, discouraging voices and so important to BE the positive, affirming voice. Stay the course with them - it is valuable work!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: In my lifetime I've done years of ballet, tap, and Jazzercise and when I found line dancing I knew it was the answer. Today I went to my usual intermediate class, then drove to the next town, eating my lunch and drinking water as I drove to teach the easy intermediate line dance class as the substitute for my friend who took a week off. We danced Achy Breaky Heart and Boot Scootin' Boogie and about ten other fun dances.....life doesn't get any better than this. then we had dinner at the house where Jake was house sitting.....his friend is home for a few days to meet and orient the full time house sitters before she heads back to California to finish her Masters Degree.

Happy Birthday, Nancy,

1624354v5yc6nzyew.gif
  • cjspensley
    Options
    Hi ladies -
    Finally past the 20 pounds lost mark...hooray! I think I've lost that one pound about 6 times now. Hopefully it's gone for good. I took measurements over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. No wonder the jeans are feeling loose!

I miss my bike! I love to ride, but now that work is back to the normal school-year pace (I work for a large church and we operate on a school-year calendar for most ministries, and summer is slow), most of my evenings are busy with either rehearsals, teaching or babysitting the grandson. Gotta teach that child to ride a two-wheeler! Maybe I should just set up the trainer on the patio and ride stationery out there...could do that after he goes to bed at night. Meanwhile, I'm trying to take the stairs instead of the elevator at work (two-story building, but very high ceilings...the stairs are like two flights in our house).

Found an e-book called "Light and healthy." Will browse it tomorrow and see what looks interesting. It's hard to get the hubby to eat healthy (he could use it). He will eat dinner, then an hour later have a bowl of cereal, then later have some ice cream. Then he says "I think this suit shrank at the cleaner's." Yeah, right. Hopefully "Light and Healthy" includes light, healthy and FAST.

Now that normal schedule is back at church, there are treats in the staff kitchen every day. Walking past it muttering "21 pounds...21 pounds...21 pounds." So much of this is mind games.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!

Only up to page 14 of 19 but wanted to check in.

12774 "Already noticed that I walk up my stairs without any knee pain . That is my NSV for the week. " That would be my victory for life!

Amanda just saw your 50th and 53rd bday pics. I'm just amazed at how you've transformed yourself. WOW doesn't begin to do you justice. What an inspiration!

DeeDee sounds like you're feeling better. Makes me happy to hear! and con VERY gratulations on the smaller undergarment and motivating size 12 pants! Now there's a real boost!

Petalsandpaws (Dixie?) one day at a time is right. Whenever you want to vent rant cry, you can do it safely here. We are with you.

Cathy in Sunny Nova Scotia "new ways and recipes to add veggies?" Roast or grill them and you'll never go back to canned peas again. I NEVER liked vegetables as a child, as an adult I could tolerate raw ones and salads, but it was our very own dear SisterMary Veggie Queen who shared the secret. Roast them veggies. Scrub 'em up, pop 'em into a hot hot hot oven and eat 'em up yum! Just tried a cauliflower recipe she shared, sounded good on paper, but smelled a little "cooked cabbagey" coming out of the oven so didn't think I'd like them. WRONG. YUMMM. Preheat oven to 400. Cut a head of cauliflower into florets and plop in a baking dish. Coarsley mince 3 cloves garlic and sprinkle over cauliflower. Juice half a lemon and sprinkle same way. Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil so each floret gets a kiss. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper.
    Bake 25-30 minutes unitl the top edges just start to brown and cauliflower are fork tender (or a little al dente the way I like 'em).
    Sprinkle GENEROUSLY with freshly grated parmesan or romano or a mix and serve while still hot. The salty cheesy tops and the lemon tangy bottoms make for some awesome mouthfuls. Keep trying new stuff. I just found out last week that I LOVE raw kohlrabi... dipped in blue cheese dressing ;)

Kate -25? -45??? Sure hope that's Celsius and not as awful cold as it sounds.

Michele I THINK the wii prediction test is to predict where the walls, barriers and moving squares WILL be even when they're blocked so you can't see them. Not just looking ahead at where they are, but thinking into the future. But that's just a guess, I haven't made it through without crashing into a side wall, a barrier or a moving square yet... That's VERY interesting about bleach losing effectiveness after 6 months, especially since we use a few caps of bleach to hold water safe for long term storage... ;) Tea, cucumber are both diuretics, you might also try elevating your feet while you wait to GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!
    Could be a seasonal nothing, but could also be a more serious warning sign, so please check in with your doctor. We need you to stay healthy! Mini donuts in a pan, do you bake instead of deep fry them???

Meg, a recumbent trike? I'm jealous! Hope you and your DH enjoy frequently!

And that's as far as I got.

Will keep on trying to scan 2 or 3 pages to every 1 new one, we'll see.

Only news on this front is that my $#@$(*)@#$ pedometer battery died, and since I wasn't checking in DAILY, I have no idea how many steps since last posting.

Foo.
    Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

September I resolve to be good to myself:
    eat 7 servings fruits + veggies
    invest 20 minutes in SWSY or on the mat and 10 minutes decluttering
    moderate to 1 glass wine per night (Sat + Sun allow 2 beers/day)
    figure out this darned HRM and uset it at least once
    smile, don't yell...
    2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone, wow this post is already at 19 pages and it is only the 12th......

Barbie – so nice to see you so happy. You just shine in your post.

Nancy – I had 2 girls so never had the dirty clothes piles, they were both so particular about fashion that they started doing their own laundry around 11. I don’t care what they say, girls and boys are different…..and that’s a good thing. Congratulations on the running. Oh and happy birthday for Friday in case you are on the road to Kelowna and don’t log in. Your students are very lucky to have a teacher who cares so much about how they feel about their body image and self consciousness.

Glendalight – wow what excitement. Wildfires scare the heck out of me.

Liz – hope you feel better in the morning, sometimes a good sleep is needed.

Linda – good on you for grabbing the candy/sweets control back. My goodness, you are planning ahead, I wait until the last minute to get the Hallowe’en candy (mostly so I won’t pick at it and convince myself to go out and buy more). I’ve heard really good things about the Khan Academy videos on math. Your job sounds really interesting, I bet the 4 hours just fly by.

Etremoi53 - interesting handle, and welcome to another teacher. Slow and steady loss is a good goal. Keep coming back and talking with us.

Bigpal – happy anniversary in advance. Liked your post.

Lentigogirl – pffffpt – if it makes you feel good, it’s good and who cares about the date. Call it vintage, that’s still fashionable.

12774 – YAY on the water aerobics and the great weight loss.

Tigress – thanks for the info on the air cooker. I had never heard of them but it sounds really neat. I’m going to look for one, I love crispy things. And yes, sometimes just the act of cooking satisfies my hunger, and MFP keeps telling me I’m not eating enough so I’m trying to eat the full 1200 whenever I can.

Kathy – hope your headache is short lived and you felt better by afternoon.

Laura80111 – wow, only 4 lbs to go, how wonderful you must feel to almost be at your goal.

Jane – what are you knitting?

Meg –don’t get too excited about the 12 size, I think the Canadian size 12 is a US 14, I’m not sure how the sizes are set nowadays, they seem to be all over the place. But when I shop in Spokane WA I seem to be a size larger than at home here in Canada.

Robin – enjoy the tapping, I tried it for a year but I really, really am uncoordinated evidently. Your husband was so sweet to build you a tap floor!! Do the puppies know how to shuffle along with you?

Margylevin – what is TDEE? And welcome, you’ll enjoy it here, this is a really supportive group of women.

Well, back to normal today, feeling good again. Lots of weird stuff going on today at work. Had a working lunch (ordered won ton soup and it turned out to be a huge bowlful) and then a retirement dinner to go to. I have to admit I overindulged at the dinner and I am regretting it mightily now. Oh well, I will have to be really, really good tomorrow and make sure I get some exercise. I am kind of tired tonight and trying to make sure I get a full 8 hours (which isn’t going to happen because it’s already 11:30 PM).

So good night ladies, and good morning to those of you who post in the morning.
    Good wishes for a positive day being kind to others and ourselves.

Lila
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Today is our wedding anniversary. Married four years but it is also 24 years today since our relationship moved from best friends to partners. It is wonderful to love and to be loved by such an amazing man.

Yesterday was spent with my DD and the grandtwins. We had such fun. Molly decided to try on her Grammy's shoes and jacket - which happened to be leopard print. She looked so cute! Teddy, not to be outdone, had a pair of leopard print knickers over his nappy - absolutely darling!! We giggled so much all day.

Today I woke up with back ache and a bit of a flare up in my knee. Typical that it occurs now, just as I'm prepared to go off for a raucous weekend. I am determined to keep up my walking as much as I can though.

Must do some work as the Financial Times are coming into the gallery today to do some interviews - may be interesting!

Have the best of all possible days today please my friends.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,
    It is 5am here been awake since maybe 4:30 but guess that means I am well rested. :wink: or something lol!

@Amanda Happy Anniversary !!!
    @Lilla it doesn't sound like you did too bad I hope you are able to get some good rest in.
    @Barbie-- Happy for you that your Jake has returned.
    @Laura--how exciting about 4lbs
    @Linda--I'd be afrain to pickup any Halloween candy so good for you.
    @Dee-Happy that you are feeling better and better. Size 12 is still a bib yay!
    @Meg - I hear you on your diet right now I have still been under but the quality of my foods have not been great since labor day. Working around fast foods and I can tell how they are not agreeing with me. My goal for rest of this month and next is to really eat a better quality foods.
    @Gail--Yes value shopping is sort of bargain hunting. We take our clients and help them learn how to shop how to compair items to get the best price, deal for them. Helping them to some sort of independence. --- That is great you have a neighbor to walk with.
    @Polly -- how inspiring that you went to workout even with not feeling well.
    @Nancy Happy birthday!!!:drinker:
    @Michelle I can't wait to see pictures of that pool whenb finish. and No I don't think you are lazy for stringing your popcorn now and on the deck. Pretty smart if you ask me :smile: I am all about saving me time if I can. So great.
    @Lin-- Hope alll is going ok for you and your Dad. You are in my thoughts and prayers... :flowerforyou:

Wow that is long but yet I know I am missing some but my brain is fixing on that I need to start moving now. Time to get ready for work. :tongue:

Question though in the pass this time of year Fall approaching I start fixing meals with potatoes. this week I had a sweet potato for lunch to me it was so good and already a couple of meals with potato s in them lot to do with speed bake in microwave. I am under calorie but I am feeling so bloated. Could it be the potatoes? I haven't had them really all summer. Do you eat potatoes in your diets? I have been trying to eat mostly brown: rice, pasta etc stay away from white but sometimes....? I know we are each different but just curious ???

Well that's it--hope everyone has a a good day.:flowerforyou: will try to check in at the end of the day.

Liz:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

Love this group! So many active and encouraging women are here. Thanks Barbie for keeping it going. Glad Jake is home. Line dancing sounds fun!

Robin- Shuffle off to Buffalo! What DVD's do you use?

Amanda- Happy Anniversary. Wonderful to know you have a soulmate.

Meg- Your work and clinicals sound very challenging! Kudos to you for coming in 2nd and for strategizing ways to work through the challenges! I always binge when I am hungry....Especially in the evening. Hope you have great weather this weekend for your bike ride!

Tigress-That air cooker sounds marvelous! Love a healthy way to cook a potato!

To all other fabulous ladies- Sorry for not individualizing I am impressed by your strength and dedication to living a healthy lifestyle!

This week is dragging on for me. I can't wait for the weekend. I am hoping the weather stays good to get outside on my bike. I found an arm routine with weights that is 10 minutes to start getting the jiggly arms in shape!

My kitties are showing me signs I need to pay some attention to them. Territory sqaubbles and such. Any suggestions from the cat lovers on how to train adult cats to scratch on the posts???

I also have some craft projects to do. I bought all the supplies and need to get going on them. I put my genealogy research on hold with the hectic back to work lifestyle adjustment. Miss that the most! Lots to fit into two days! LOL! Tomorrow I am planning the next week's meals and will grocery shop. I plan to have lots of PUMPKIN!!! Take care virtual friends and enjoy every precious minute!

Carolyn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Now that they're starting to stock Halloween candy in the stores, it's time for me to share what we do about treats for the trick-or-treaters. We get some rolls of quarters from the bank and give quarters as treats.....no worries about how much candy to buy, whether we'll be tempted to eat it ahead of time, or what to do with the left-overs.

:bigsmile: gotta walk the dogs now, hope you all have a great day :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie
  • mazaron
    Options
    Hello and good good morning to you all, :love:

Glenda you are a hero – aquasize and wet clothes and all. :drinker: When I was a lifeguard I used to use lots of baby powder. It helped with the quick dry.

I have not read reviving Ophelia – and I don’t have a serious book on the go right now, so the time it right. I’ll keep you posted.

Barbie, I love to hear you say “life doesn’t get any better than this”! :happy: No one has to give you lessons about living in the moment and loving every minute of it. Thanks for the very sparkly birthday message. :blushing:

Whoo haaaa (As they say back there in Calgary) 21 pounds. I said the other day I need a mantra to make me think before I start impulse eating. I like yours for a starter.

Hi Barbara, “Dance more, bark less…” how’s the dancing going :happy: ?

Amanda, will I see you on the front page of the Financial Times :ohwell: ?

Liz, I eat potatoes …. I love potatoes. :love: Sometimes my whole meal is a baked potato and salad. I weight the thing and count the calories! The other day I served yams instead, though, and J’boy just looked at his. “What?” I asked, “at least try it.” “I have a particular aversion to orange food,” was his reply. :noway: Sheesh.

Carolyn, I thought it was Tuesday on Monday and today really feels like it should be Friday. :noway: It could be because at this time of year I’m working on long-term plans for my students and always thinking ahead and it could be that I’m not used to being at work and it could be that I’m really looking forward to the weekend but regardless…this has been a long week in my head too. I hope your Thursday goes by in a flash.

I always plan our menus & shop a week ahead. It takes so much stress out of the day to know what’s going to be on the table after work.

Oh, Barbie, Halloween! I think your treats are the best! Halloween is not as big a deal here as it seems to be in the US. I’m always amazed and inspired by the way my neighbours to the south celebrate special occasions. You guys know how to party! :bigsmile:

Must get along, get along. Today’s first challenge is to choose work clothes that will stand up to a 20 minute walk/run and a 40 minute 4 goal soccer game. Perhaps I should just take workout clothes and change at school? Oh, no, I don’t think my LuluLemon tank tops meet the school dress code! :laugh: Imagine me, at 54, getting sent home to change my shirt! Woops.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 9.0 hours...will she make it? Will she slack off this weekend? Time will tell!
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Barbie,

I noticed your question on the scratching post and thought I would throw out that some pet stores have a catnip spray you can spray the post with to attract the kitties. I personally keep a cardboard box thing in the front room (near my leather sofa, which the kitties don't like anyway) and scatter catnip on it - the kitties even lay on it sometimes, they love it so much!

I'm trying to get through the posts but admit I skipped completely over a lot of pages - this month is moving fast! Anyway, what I'm noticing is a few headaches (I've had one off and on this month too) - weather changes and allergies? I'm attributing it to that. I have cut back on caffeine again, but I'm not drinking enough to warrant a full-blown withdrawal to begin with. I do tend to get allergies in September - the leaves house a lot of mold, which I'm allergic to. I just have to suffer through it. I hope everyone else suffering gets past it quickly!

I have also been experiencing more joint pain - mainly in my elbows and wrists. I'm having serious issues with pushups and wrists, so I'm trying to modify and look into other options. I don't want to stop my program - it's been so good for me! Anyone have any experience with improving on pushups?

My weight-loss is still on track - about a pound or two a week. Hubby's is going well too - in fact, he's really beating me. It's not fair the way some guys can lose weight without seeming to try :(. Oh, well, I'm really glad for him.

I agree with you all about roasting veggies - it's my favorite way to cook them too. I especially love that it's a relatively easy way to cook without having to hover. I throw together whatever I have on hand, toss it in a bowl with a little olive oil and some garlic and herbs, spread it all out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at around 375 - 425, depending, and leave it there until they're done. We often have these as a side or include them in a light sauce to put over pasta or rice. I also like to put them on a salad with a little vinegar.

Today I'm making homemade hot sauce. We had a bumper crop of peppers this year - habanero, cayenne, and jalapenos, so I ground up a big bunch of each with some salt yesterday, left to ferment for a day, then will add some vinegar tonight, let sit for another day and drain through a sieve into bottles for storage. I can't wait! We're also looking for other ideas for them - I want to pickle some, and I've frozen the habaneros in the past just as is, which works but they tend to lose their potency over time. Anyone else have interesting ideas?

Last comment for the day - a lot of people here have puppies. We (my husband really, and really really his ex) had a pair of cocker spaniels they had had since they were young - they both passed away this summer. I didn't think I was overly attached to them, but since I work from home they became mine by default. I wound up being the one who noticed when they were sick, who kept them company, let them in and out, made sure they were comfortable, etc. My favorite of the two died quickly from a heart ailment at the beginning of the summer, then the second one escaped from our dog sitter while we were out of town and was never found. Anyway, I had been sure I would not want another dog - we're coming up on empty nest and like to travel and the husband isn't the best at caring for an animal to begin with. I've been dreaming about puppies every.single.night lately. I'm not even a dog person, but I can't seem to stop feeling like I need something else to care for, I guess. Anyway, I'm not racing out to get another animal, but I might have to consider it in the future. In the meantime, I'm quite happy to have my own kitty curled up at my feet right now. He misses the puppies most of all, so maybe I'm thinking he needs the company :).

Hope everyone has a great day and some good fall weather to get out and enjoy. Chat soon -

M.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg I did 90 mins of water aerobics. Skin is fine so far will do anothe class in am. Thanks for your concern. Hope this week will be better for you
    Options
    Yes after classes, Ishower and shampoo my hair and repeat the same thing when I get home On Mon, I slathered on Baby vaseline before and after so far today my skin is Ok. Will do tne same tomorrow. Thanks
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am totally getting stressed over not losing weight this week. I've weighed almost every day (I know, I know . . .) and every day is is up a bit. Tomorrow is my official weigh in and I'm thinking I won't record it if it's up.

This kicker is that last week and the beginning of this week were my most active ever. If the fitbit is correct, I've had a net loss of calories anywhere from 400 to 1200. So the response of most is that maybe I'm eating too few calories, so I've bumped it up for the last two day (although I still finish the day a negative.)

I can totally understand not showing a loss - but it seems mathematically impossible to show any gain at 175.4 pounds and 1600 calories a day with a daily burn betwee 25 and 3500.

I know I don't eat the best foods, but still such a difference in calories vs burn shouldn't result in an increase. I've lost weight by counting calories consumed and burned for the last 12 years and I've never gained if I was honestly recording everything.
    Options
    :laugh: You are so right . Everyday I reevaluate my progress in stairclimbing. Only another person with the same problem woul d appreciate this:laugh:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another cool day here in Denver, Happy Thursday:flowerforyou:

Cathy- sorry your knees hurt so much after your water workout. Maybe try some chair exercises?:huh: I understand that they can be pretty good for the upper body. Unemployeed for a year, so sorry. Hubby has been unemployeed for 18 months and since his unemployment stopped in July he is now able to find part time work and is way underemployed, but did get a part time job at a store and we are waiting to hear when he starts. So I guess you could say he's semi retired....as soon as we sell our house a lot of pressure will be off so that's seems to be our future:ohwell:

Tigress- when I'm unusually busy I seem to lose my appetite and even forget to eat. When I'm at work my day revolves around the clock and I have all my meals scheduled so I never miss eating anything...it's on the weekends that eating gets out of wack:wink: When you aren't hungry be sure and drink plenty of water, that''s the one thing that's really important.

Meg- I can't imagine getting up at 4:30 am for anything other than leaving on a vacation, for that I'd wake up even earlier:laugh: I know it's hard to do but if you plan your food ahead, log it then when you eat it it will already be in place for you. On Sundays I prep all my breakfasts and lunches for my work week so I know exactly what I will be eating when. It's only dinners that change daily but by the time I get home I know how many calories I can eat and if I need to do a bit of exercise to keep it all in line. For encouragement I always go to the success stories here on MFP to see what others have done...then my competitive nature kicks in "if they can do it so can I" attitude:bigsmile: Congrats on second place:flowerforyou:

Robin- how fun, tapping your way to exercise and fitness:flowerforyou: I had tap lessons as a little girl, but I too am totally uncoordinated:sad: and never got very far.

Linda- so glad you are able to use your RN knowledge and help those that call needing that comforting voice to keep them calm in their emergency.:flowerforyou:

jen- yes I hear you...at least you have a job...even when your boss returns from 2 wks off and just passes everything down...when I am gone I always return to a full mailbox and piles on my desk and it takes days for me to sort out what my boss did while I was gone:grumble: Glad your bp reading was good, that's always encouraging.:flowerforyou:

Michele- you pool & spa are coming along and it seems like yesterday you were just starting. I know with contractors it's so hard to get them to keep to the schedule that you thought they had...saying they will be there and then not showing how frustrating:grumble:

JNheff- great quote:flowerforyou:

Polly- sometimes the best thing to do with a craving is to have just a bite or a small amount. I find that if I allow myself those treats then I don't gorge myself later because I deprived myself before:wink:

Gail- that's some walk, uphill both ways:drinker: On wedding anniversaries, we married at 19 and will be celebrating our 39th in November...it seems like yesterday sometimes:flowerforyou:

Nancy- what an inspiratin you are to those girls:flowerforyou: I'm sure that they thought it was way cool too you using the iphone to help with the workout:love: Weighing in on Thursday is self preservation I'm sure:wink: I changed mine to Wednesdays from Mondays last March for the same reason:laugh: Yep it would have all the students laughing if you got sent home to change your shirt:laugh:

glendalight- I'm sure before you started on MFP you never even gave the hamburger calories a thought:wink: It's amazing how much we all used to eat and think nothing of it, no wonder so many in the world are over weight.:noway:

Barbie- I'm hoping that when i retire I'm able to do the fun things you do...your line dancing classes sound like so much fun.:flowerforyou:

cjspensley- you are so right a lot of it is mind games:wink: When I'm riding my bike outside and going up a hill I'm forever saying " I'm burning fat, I'm burning fat":laugh: What ever helps to lose the weight. Congrats on breaking that #20 mark:drinker:

Barbara- Oops, a dead battery:grumble: how frustrating, my pedometer is just a simple one and only marks steps / miles with percentage completed but I check it daily so no fear of losing anything. But I just have a hard time during the work week getting in 10,000 steps:huh: now when we were walking the Strip in Las Vegas I had no problem at all:laugh:

Lila- the sizes of clothes in different countries are so all over the place. I know that for shoes in the US they usually have UK sizing on the inside too. I just know that clothes in my closet from way back when of sizes I'm beginning to fit into today don't fit at all. I have a pair of size 6 pants (just can't bear to get rid of them as I really like them) are so small that I probably need to lose another 10 or more pounds and yet most of the clothes I'm wearing are 6's that I bought two years ago. I'm thinking it's the fashion industries way of making us feel like we are smaller than we really are:wink:

Amanda- Happy Anniversary:flowerforyou: Hoping the painful knee is gone by the weekend:happy:

Liz- I eat potatoes occasionally, all kinds but have never experienced any bloating. Maybe someone else has better info:huh:

Carolyn- what kind of arm exercise did you find?:huh: I'm doing wall push ups and chair lifts for mine and when I decided to take a break from them I sure found a difference...so got right back to them.

:smile: To those of you I missed I will try and catch you next time.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to those of you that are new.

Since last night the weather prevented us from having our bike ride outdoors I was again in the basement, but did push myself a bit and did 11 minutes on the eliptical and another 30 on the bike, next stop increasing the tension:ohwell:

I had salmon for dinner last night, but because Sam's Club didn't have the kind I usually buy I bought another kind that has already been spiced, and I really don't like it:grumble: ...but since hubby doesn't eat Salmon I will have to finish the rest that I bought and hope that I can get the kind I like next time. But being Salmonj the scale did cooperate this morning, but will wait until next Wednesday to post it ...if it holds:blushing:

The weather is cooler again today and a bit overcast but supposed to be warm again tomorrow and Saturday, it's really hard this time of year when you don't know if it's long sleeves with pants or short sleeves with capris and sandles for the day. But usually by this time of year I'm ready to look at some different clothes and this year will be better than last year with some purging to do as well.

I best go. Have lots to do. Everyone have a good day...if you eat it log it, drink plenty of water and get up and get moving:drinker:

Laura80111:smile: