SHOCKING!!! Health Screening Vegetarian to Paleo Comparison

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    She's not eating a paleo diet; these are in her food diary from various days; (I'm not trying to be b!tchy, just honest)
    boar's head meat
    fajitas
    butter
    choc ship cookie dough bar
    caramel macchiato coffee
    asian meatballs
    more boards head
    Sea Cuisine - Salmon Honey Chipotle Crusted
    more choco
    kiolbassa
    Skordalia - Greek Garlic Sauce
    Bakalava,
    Chocolate Milk Shake
    Creamy Chicken Enchilada,
    boar's head
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Homemade - Velveeta and Rotel Dip With Ground Beef,
    Sausage - Polish
    Jimmy Dean Ground Sausage
    Daisy - Sour Cream,

I saw that she had only lost 6 pounds in a year so I decided to look at her diary "well, everyone has an off day" I checked a variety of days, I didn't see one day that was actually paleo.
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Very cool!
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    She's eating ham, salami, all sorts of very very NON paleo foods. No wonder she didn't lose much weight over a year.

Ham is Paleo, Salami not so much, but it's OK within reason. There is an 80/20 rule, just because there is a cheat here and there doesn't mean she gets drummed out of the Paleo Core.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    She's not eating a paleo diet; these are in her food diary from various days; (I'm not trying to be b!tchy, just honest)
    boar's head meat
    fajitas
    butter
    caramel macchiato coffee
    asian meatballs
    more boards head
    more choco
    kiolbassa
    Bakalava,
    Chocolate Milk Shake
    boar's head
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Sausage - Polish
    Daisy - Sour Cream,

I saw that she had only lost 6 pounds in a year so I decided to look at her diary "well, everyone has an off day" I checked a variety of days, I didn't see one day that was actually paleo.

are you the paleo police? 80/20 is what most people strive for and full fat dairy is allowed on some variations of the paleo diet since there is not one "paleo" diet. Its an n=1 thing, meaning if it works for you, do it. Also, have you looked at her pictures, a 6 pound weight loss is huge on someone her size. You are rude.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    boar's head meat
    fajitas
    butter
    caramel macchiato coffee
    asian meatballs
    more boards head
    more choco
    kiolbassa
    Bakalava,
    Chocolate Milk Shake
    boar's head
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Sausage - Polish
    Daisy - Sour Cream,

We all have different goals. And if you're not willing to keep an open diary, the you really shouldn't comment on anyone else's. Just sayin'.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    boar's head meat Paleo
    fajitas Paleo
    butter Paleo
    caramel macchiato coffee
    asian meatballs Paleo
    more boards head Paleo
    Sea Cuisine - Salmon Honey Chipotle Crusted Paleo
    more choco Paleo
    kiolbassa Paleo
    Skordalia - Greek Garlic Sauce Paleo
    Bakalava,
    Chocolate Milk Shake
    boar's head Paleo
    Sweet Potato Fries paleo
    Homemade - Velveeta and Rotel Dip With Ground Beef, primal
    Sausage - Polish paleo
    Jimmy Dean Ground Sausage paleo
    Daisy - Sour Cream, primal

I'm not sure you know what paleo is...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My company, Hilcorp Energy Company, is awesome for many reasons one of them being our free annunal health screenings. Since I started working with them last April, I've had two screenings to date. The interesting thing is that I changed my diet from Vegetarian to Paleo just after last year's screening so the change in the numbers from 2011 to this year is 100% attributed to diet!

2011 2012 Healthy Range
    Diet Vegetarian (2 years prior) Paleo (Beginning Oct. '11) n/a
    Height 67 inches (5' 7") 67.25" (5' 7.25") [+.25"] n/a
    Weight 160 154 (!!!) [-6 lbs!!!]
    BMI 25 24 [-1] 18.5-24.9
    WaistCircumference 29.5 29 [-.5] <35
    Blood Pressure 128/75 mmHg 122/74 [-6/-1] <120/80
    Total Cholesterol 198 mg/dl 190 [-8] 100-199
    HDL (healthy) Cholesterol 87 mg/dl 99 [+12!!!] >50
    LDL (bad) Cholesterol 95 mg/dl 79 mg/dl [-16!!!!!!!!] <100
    Triglycerides 75 mg/dl 57 mg/dl [-18!!!!!!] 45-149
    Risk Ratio 2.3 1.9 <4.4
    Fasting Glucose 92 mg/dl 95 mg/dl [+3*] 50-99
    *I took my daily multivitamin this morning which contains 5g of sugar

You lost 6 pounds in a year? Uhm...sorry, that's .5 pounds a month. Not all that impressive. Even 1 pound a month isn't that impressive at your weight. The more you have to lose, the easier it is to initially lose weight. It's that last 20lbs that's a b!tch.
    The difference is, you're probably eating a LOT more animal based protein than before.

If you bothered to read her post, rather than just trying to be judgmental, you would have noticed that it wasn't about the weight loss. She said she wasn't trying to lose weight. She was trying to be healthy and she did that.
  • magj0y
    Options
    We all have different goals. And if you're not willing to keep an open diary, the you really shouldn't comment on anyone else's. Just sayin'.

she's claiming she's doing well on a paleo diet. I never claimed I'm doing a great diet. I have changed a lot of things, such as eating healthier protein more often and stocked my cabinet with wild alaskan salmon to beef up my D. I'm eating better portions
    and more often. I've also been sick 4 times since I joined and on round 2 of anti-biotics and still lost 2 pounds in 4 weeks. Getting my tonsil yanked will help with my health and hopefully I'll be able to get to the gym more often.
    My husband leaves town for a week and I'm going to try and clean up my menu, so check back in a week!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

she's claiming she's doing well on a paleo diet. I never claimed I'm doing a great diet. I have changed a lot of things, such as eating healthier protein more often and stocked my cabinet with wild alaskan salmon to beef up my D. I'm eating better portions
    and more often. I've also been sick 4 times since I joined and on round 2 of anti-biotics and still lost 2 pounds in 4 weeks. Getting my tonsil yanked will help with my health and hopefully I'll be able to get to the gym more often.
    My husband leaves town for a week and I'm going to try and clean up my menu, so check back in a week!
    She's not trying to lose weight. Are you intentionally ignorant or...?
  • SommerKMayorga
    Options
    boar's head meat
    fajitas
    butter
    caramel macchiato coffee
    asian meatballs
    more boards head
    more choco
    kiolbassa
    Bakalava,
    Chocolate Milk Shake
    boar's head
    Sweet Potato Fries
    Sausage - Polish
    Daisy - Sour Cream,

are you the paleo police? 80/20 is what most people strive for and full fat dairy is allowed on some variations of the paleo diet since there is not one "paleo" diet. Its an n=1 thing, meaning if it works for you, do it. Also, have you looked at her pictures, a 6 pound weight loss is huge on someone her size. You are rude.

Thank you! Geez, remind me to NEVER post on here how well I think I'm doing or what I view as a diet that works for me. Unless you're prepared to be completely analyzed by your peers (who, by the way, I THOUGHT were on here to be encouraging and supportive) keep your success to yourself!

BTW, OP, I think it's great what you're doing and keep up the good work!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm sure losing weight didn't do anything for better results, it's all the Paleo diet

lol
  • StephieF87
    StephieF87 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BUMPPPPPPP:smile:
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Every night before I go to bed I eat 4 girl scout thin mints and I consistantly lose about 2lbs a week, thank you thin mints!

how can you stop at 4? i have a box of those *kitten* in my freezer and i swear if i eat one i'll eat them all. pout!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This doesn't mean anything, really.

We don't know exactly what you were eating as a vegetarian to meet your nutritional requirements. Some vegetarians are incredibly unhealthy and obese, after all! I highly doubt you were eating a diet HIGH in veg, fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds with some wholegrains & whole, sugar-free dairy + eggs...

This.

I'm sure if they'd done all of that on me a couple of years ago, as opposed to now, it'd be similar. I've been vegetarian for 18 years, but until a couple of years ago ALL I ate was carbs and sugars and didn't exercise.
  • magj0y
    Options

I looked at the topic title "SHOCKING!!! Health Screening Vegetarian to Paleo Comparison"
    I looked at her "paleo diet" it is not a paleo diet. So before you sit there and question my ignorance, you might want to question her claim on how healthy it is. If someone claims "oh, I have been eating unprocessed foods for a year and am so much healthier" and see the person isn't eating a diet they claim, how can you take the statement seriously?
  • beckajw
    Options
    This doesn't mean anything, really.

We don't know exactly what you were eating as a vegetarian to meet your nutritional requirements. Some vegetarians are incredibly unhealthy and obese, after all! I highly doubt you were eating a diet HIGH in veg, fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds with some wholegrains & whole, sugar-free dairy + eggs...

This.

I'm sure if they'd done all of that on me a couple of years ago, as opposed to now, it'd be similar. I've been vegetarian for 18 years, but until a couple of years ago ALL I ate was carbs and sugars and didn't exercise.

Geez, people learn to read before you post.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Also, as others have pointed out, you are only one person, your results are not generalizable to other people.

Where did she say it was? She shared what worked for her, her preferences and her individual circumstances - nothing more.

This is a general point (not directed at you specifically) but if a person is so emotionally invested in a certain way of eating that they feel defensive when someone else merely shows success with a different approach they must ask themselves if that is in fact a healthy mindset

"WOW is all I can say!!! Changing from a Vegetarian diet to a Paleo diet CLEARLY changed ALL my paramenters (except glucose, see * above) in the positive direction! So all that B.S. about eating eggs, bacon, fatty foods, red meat, and other things with lots of cholesterol is A TOTAL CROCK!!! "

Just because something worked for her doesn't mean everything else is a crock and her number changes were quite small. She's acting like he lost 50lbs and significantly lower all her points, which she didn't. And as others pointed out, she wasn't really even paleo.
  • magj0y
    Options
    Thank you! Geez, remind me to NEVER post on here how well I think I'm doing or what I view as a diet that works for me. Unless you're prepared to be completely analyzed by your peers (who, by the way, I THOUGHT were on here to be encouraging and supportive) keep your success to yourself!

BTW, OP, I think it's great what you're doing and keep up the good work!

So if you were doing something you thought was correct and you weren't, and you could see better results. and spewing misinformation, would you want a pat on the head and congratulatory praises?
    It's great that she is health(ier) but the diet she is doing simply isn't paleo. If I was doing something wrong, I would hope someone would correct me. obviously I am doing something wrong here by being honest.
  • beckajw
    Options

I looked at the topic title "SHOCKING!!! Health Screening Vegetarian to Paleo Comparison"
    I looked at her "paleo diet" it is not a paleo diet. So before you sit there and question my ignorance, you might want to question her claim on how healthy it is. If someone claims "oh, I have been eating unprocessed foods for a year and am so much healthier" and see the person isn't eating a diet they claim, how can you take the statement seriously?
    [/quote]'

Take a deep breath. It's all going to be okay. First, you aren't entirely aware of what is and is not Paleo. Second, your judgmental attitude is not making you any friends. The OP was simply expressing happiness that after being a vegetarian, she found a diet that she liked better and kept her healthy. No where did she say she was trying to lose weight. Instead, she said she was trying to maintain. Really, if you're not here to be supportive, you can go somewhere else.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Weight isn't the gauge of health she was using, which is my point.