Went to Subway for lunch and Jarod would NOT be proud!

Options

Replies

• rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat from the fresh fit menu.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I love people.. no cookies, no cheese, no dressing, no bread...

This guy ate subway sandwiches damn near every day and lost over 80lbs. Footlongs, with cheese, and dressing.

Eat what you want so long as you meet your calorie requirements. There is no reason to cut out entire groups of foods if you don't have a special condition.

Yeah I don't understand why people are saying this!? Why not eat what you want with the topings you like but make it fit into your goal for the day!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at Subway. A sandwich without mayo and cheese isn't very delicious, if you ask me. I can have things from McDonald's for the same amount of calories as a *good* Subway sandwich! Will it be high in fat? Probably... do I care about going over on my fat some times? No.

But, calorie counting takes some practice. It's a great way to learn how nutrition really works so that you stop buying in to the things you see on TV.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    geez people, I get a 12" turkey or chicken breast w/ cheese and lite mayo for 500 cals. subway is as healthy or not as you make it.
  • christaakacricket
    Options
    Just a little advice about eating at Subway. I, myself, love the Italian BMT, but I have realized that for one the pepperoni and salami is very high in calories. I try and make healthier choices when I go there as in eating a turkey or oven roasted chicken breast. I also choose the wheat bread option instead of white. I have omitted the mayionnaise that i would normally get and have opted for the sweet onion sauce instead. It is such a healthier choice and I also have noticed that when getting the full meal I choose a 6 inch instead of a footlong and sun chips are almost as much fat as eating regular chips so i choose the baked options. I also enjoy the light lemonade instead of diet or regular sodas. Another piece of advice, be around people that support you. It helps you to make the better choice. Cause with eating out there really is no BEST choice. Don't get frustrated though, remember that tomorrow is another day! Don't ever give up!!!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    People saying 'no cheese, no dressing, no cookie and only a 6"' must be on a 1200 *diet*, and not a healthy lifestyle...

Jus' sayin'.

*fist bump*

And when they realize they can't live their lives eating salad alone they'll give up.

It's such a shame because they don't have to. You can eat bread. You can have cheese. Just watch your calories and do some exercise. It isn't certain kinds of food that made us fat. It's an excess of calories. Period.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... I had a little bit of frozen yogurt with a few toppings sprinkled on top yesterday. No biggie. When I looked it up, it was almost 350 calories! WHAT?!

I might as well have just eaten a candy bar! Ha.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Subway is just like any restaraunt. Depending on what you choose it can fit into a healthy diet or not. I am fine with a 6 inch turkey sandwich and a water (no chips or cookies) maybe a banana or apple.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Subway isn't really "healthy" persay, you can pack on all kinds of cals at Subway.

People just buy the hype that it is.

It is very tasty, but it is no better or worse than any other fast food imo.

Except if you don't like grease, like myself, then Subway becomes one of your few options.

I agree with this! For the calories I would rather eat chipotle. And that keeps me full longer.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Subway often...

**looks at ticker**

I generally don't like *their* cheese, but I double the meat (always turkey or chicken breast....none of that high fat filler crap meat) load it with a crap ton of veggies, on whatever bread I may fancy at the moment, and either the honey mustard or mayo.
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    no cookies, no cheese....little or no dressing...............

Says....you. One can have cheese and a once-in-a-while treat, if they want. IMO, it's about eating a majority of healthy whole foods and then fitting in the treats.

I eat cheese all the time. I would not want to live without cheese. :laugh:

Exactly!!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Did you really think a 12 inch sub and 3 cookies is "healthy"? I'm just curious because my fiance has clients who say they eat healthy and when he looks at their food logs this is what is on there and they don't get it. Anything with processed sugars is going to be bad for you. MFP has a shock factor and that's why it works. Just give it a chance and I think you could make Jarod proud ;)
  • Determinedtorunon
    Options
    That's why I love this site so much. When you log it you learn from it. I've made small changes that mean a lot. I love my turkey sub just the same without the cheese, and mustard is just as good as mayo.

You know I really thought I could not live without my mayonaise on my sandwhich, just the thought of it had me upset but all of the fat free dressing options at subway are really good, I just hate a dry sandwhich!!! Those cookies did look good on the menu but I opted for sunchips instead. When we know better we do better....Good luck
  • Tanig32
    Tanig32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I used to love the cold cut combo now my new love is the veggie delight with no cheese or mayo its so good i track what im going to get online at subway.com before i go there so i know what to get.
  • mindirella
    Options
    When I started my path to losing weight last year - I walked to the local Subway every other day. I would get a foot long turkey on wheat with light mayo.... I'd eat 1/2 that day and 1/2 the next day.

It is the lowest calorie sandwhich from I what I can tell....

You have to be careful as well - they have the calories on the boards - but those are for the 6" size - not the 12"......

And I LOVE the macadamia cookies - my weakness - but one cookie was 220 calories, 100 from fat! So no more of those for me :(
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    I agree with this! For the calories I would rather eat chipotle. And that keeps me full longer.

No way do you get the same amount of food for the same amount of cals.

Rice & beans + meat and a big *kitten* tortilla >>>> subway
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love people.. no cookies, no cheese, no dressing, no bread...

This guy ate subway sandwiches damn near every day and lost over 80lbs. Footlongs, with cheese, and dressing.

Eat what you want so long as you meet your calorie requirements. There is no reason to cut out entire groups of foods if you don't have a special condition.

I bet he wasn't on 1260 calories/day with no exercise. If I had a footlong with cheese and dressing for just one meal in the day, I get 460 for the rest of the day if I couldn't fit in exercise that day.

Today I bought a 12" turkey on Italian with provolone, cucumbers, green peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and honey mustard. Total was 800 calories and I ate half for lunch, the other half will be dinner. I also grabbed a bag of Baked Lays.
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I remember one time, I had this cookie... it was an ok cookie, a big ole oatmeal cookie, out of curiosity I looked it up, it had like a bazillion calories, at least 500 or 600... for a cookie. *gasp* Awareness is very helpful, I do have to say :)

That happened to me at Starbucks, with their "Outrageous Oatmeal Cookie". I should have known by the name. But hey, it's oatmeal so it's healthy right? :wink:

Anyway, it was delicious and I didn't regret it at all!
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    But that is the beauty of logging your food! The biggest part of the process is the education. I think all of us did the same thing at one time or another. I used to go to Frisch's for a Big Boy, onion rings and a chocolate shake. An entire day's worth of calories in one sitting!

Now the next challenge (which I typically fail at) is to look up the food *before* you go out to eat!
    ^^Exactly! I purposely didn't change my normal routine for the first 2 days I was on MFP just so I could get a sense of what I was actually consuming in a day. It was DEFINITELY eye opening! I was easily eating close to 3000 calories a day on most days, and it wasn't necessarily junk food--it was just a lot of food! I had gotten used to feeling stuffed all the time. I've learned I don't need to feel stuffed to feel satisfied. I congratulate the OP on looking at this as a learning opportunity! And yes, looking things up ahead of time is seriously helpful! Good luck!
  • K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awareness is power- now you know, so now you know what to do!

Don't be too hard on yourself:
    I spent the summer drinking a 'real fruit slush' that was SO tasty, so (seemingly) healthful- until I discovered that it was 670 calories / 177 g carbs per serving.
    OK- it was a HUGE serving (44 oz- could swim laps in it!), but still.....

Gee- I had wondered why I wasn't losing weight with increased exercise!
    Well, there you go!

When you know better, you do better (per Maya Angelou).

I MAY get myself a SMALL portion in the future, but the days of the routine 44 oz are long gone (unless I specifically plan for it, and then- da*n the torpedoes! lol- I'll enjoy it!)

Just TRACK TRACK TRACK!