People telling me that I'm too thin..um I'm MAD!

Replies

• norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    ignore em.... they are envious. you are doing this for you...and from what it looks and sounds like, you are doing this the right way.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    I'm still about 10 pounds away from goal, and everyone I talk to tells me the same thing: "You don't want to get TOO thin!" "You really shouldn't lose any more!" "You're thin enough!"

When I went for a physical last month, I asked my doctor about it. I told him that I based my goal on the height/weight chart here on MFP, which I assumed to be accurate, but I couldn't be sure. I told him what my goal was and that I was pretty damn sure I could get there, I just wanted to know if I was being unrealistic and everyone else was right. His reply was a real eye-opener for me about the state of health in the US.

First, he said that my goal was great and he thought I was right on track. Then he said, "Unfortunately, what's happened is that we've gotten so overweight in this country that it's skewed our views of what's normal. We're so used to seeing people carrying extra weight that now when they see people who are the right size, most people think they're too skinny."

So, now if someone tells me I'm losing too much weight, I can come back with "Not according to my doctor." That usually shuts them up...
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member

When I went for a physical last month, I asked my doctor about it. I told him that I based my goal on the height/weight chart here on MFP, which I assumed to be accurate, but I couldn't be sure.

Where is this chart? I would be interested in seeing it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    "Quit giving away your power. Don’t allow other people to steal your joy. Don’t allow yourself to be upset and disturbed. Rise above your situations.

Be determined that you will enjoy your life. When you allow what someone says or does to upset you, you’re allowing them to control you. Don’t put too much importance on what other people say about you. Don’t let people ruin your day.

Be like an eagle that rises to a different altitude every time it faces adversity. Don’t be like the crow."

http://etienoetuk.com/don’t-give-away-your-power/

Love this... in the past I'd never thought of how I reacted as giving them power... once I learned that it really helped!
    I continue to put it in to practice. It's not easy:noway: until it becomes a habit but it's a process.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Sounds like you get caught up in office drama, and this should be about you and your heathly life style.You are doing great and others tend to have to say something when they see changes. Keep up the good work, and don't let them get to you.

I lost 25 lbs and I actually like all the complements I receive at work, but like you I now get "you are getting too skinny" - and all I've been doing is toning up w/o weight loss. I like the changes I see so that is all that really matters.

My boss did say: you are looking lean these days!, I loved his comment.
    :drinker:
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Take it as a complement and ignor the rest. I'm working to get to that point...a long way to go, but I'll be thrilled when someone says "I'm to thin.
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    For your height, 130 is not the high end of the healthy range. According to the NIH BMI charts, at 5'6" the normal weight range would be 118-148. Check the charts you are using to detemine a healthy weight. For the average person, BMI is an okay indicator. Someone mentioned their trainer is obese. That's not the average person. Most of us aren't body builders. That's where you have to consider your body fat %.

Ignore the fat b*thces at work. Or even if it's healthy b*thces. You are taking care of your body so rock on. To me it's concerning to me that you believe 130 to be the high range for a 5'6" female. By all means, make your own goals. Just wanted to throw out there that you might want to reevaluate your idea of a healthy weight.

*edited for spelling/grammar
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I'm not always hungry, I'm just always bored at work and tend to eat out of boredom and mistake it for hunger. My work environment is a drag.

Me too! And I get you--I'm 5'6" 118 and people tell me I'm too thin. I'm just athletic!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Sounds like my husband. He's getting upset at me all the time thinking I'm NOT eating and that's why the weight is coming off. I don't understand wtf his problem is. If he wants to stay fat and unhealthy, fine. I'm not wasting any more of my time to try and get him to go along with my healthy decisions. I tried for TOO LONG and it's obvious he doesn't care.

But this topic goes both ways. I'm still FAT. People look at me like I'm disgusting, little do they know I'm busting my *kitten* to get this weight off. They don't know I have a disease that contributed to my weight. They don't see I've lost almost 20 lbs. They just see a fat chick. So that automatically means I stuff my face 24/7 which was NEVER the case for me.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    A little background, I'm just about 5'6 and weigh around 129/130 on a good day. I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs. I work in a doctor's office and we have free lunch delivered to us 3-4 times a week---none of which I eat.

Anyway, I wake up religiously at 5 am to get to the gym for an hour before work, then make sure to eat a nutritious breakfast, pack my lunch and snacks and then go on my merry little way. The people at work take this as me not "eating enough" because I'm always hungry and want food. Maybe I'm always hungry and want food because I'm just freakin hungry! Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?! So what if I don't eat the lunches that are delivered to us?! So what if I eat a lot of protein bars, cottage cheese, fruit, etc. I LKE that stuff!!! Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

This is just a rant, but I'm so tired of being looked at like I'm anorexic. I'm NOT. Sometimes I wish I could open my food diary up and show them. I told them one day what I ate for breakfast and lunch and they were like wow, you actually ate more than I did today. I was like yeah, you guys think I don't eat! I HAVE to eat a lot because I work out! It's just the quality of what I eat that's different than you!

Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

omgomgomg.

I TOTALLY understand this - all them drug reps coming in with lunches, catered meetings, etc. Ive been working in healthcare for over 17 years and its definitely happening in any healthcare environment. I work in an 85 person AR/AP Finance office. We hold the conferences there for physicians and surgeons and that includes their meetings and TONS of food. My office where we do all of the coding and medical billing, its all women... (***facepalm here)...

I have been asked why I dont participate in the pot lucks and food-related events. I made it VERY clear to them why. Between food allergies and sensitivities and the fact I have no desire to even risk trying someone else's food just to make them happy - their happiness means jack crap and I dont care. My health is more important. Im losing weight, and maintain well when it doesnt come off right away. My meals are 100% homemade even right down to the hot sauces I make.

Everyone cant wait to try my creations without my saying one word but come hell or high water, they pull the biggest 2 yr old temper tantrum...when I say 'no thank you'.

I would definitely have a heart-to-heart with one of the head physicians and the office manager in your office and make it known, you do NOT appreciate the office banter that goes on. Its unprofessional and it can be construed as workplace-harassment. Its making you feel uncomfortable and only YOUR primary care physician has a say on whether or not you are perfectly healthy at the weight you are at right now.. not anyone else - its none of their damn business.

You can do it hun!!!!
  • JuliesS82
    JuliesS82 Posts: 14 Member
    Same thing happened to me about a month ago- some of mfp friends gave me good suggestions for handling it:

To the person who most likely said it with good intentions (my assistant)- I gave her a hand written note thanking her for her concern and assuring her that my health is my top priority. I took her out to lunch later that week, didn't mention it at all, and I'm hearing through the grapevine that she has been sticking up for my healthy habits

To the people who were hating b/c they are unhealthy/unhappy- I reminded them that a) I exercise roughly 3% of my day and eat to live rather than living to eat b) that my weight, exercise, diet are all within medical guidelines c) calling people "too skinny" is just and rude and inappropriate as calling someone fat. Now "too skinny" and "obsessed" has been replaced with "witchy"! Guess who doesn't care!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    A little background, I'm just about 5'6 and weigh around 129/130 on a good day. I'm nowhere NEAR emaciated in the slightest. However, my workplace is full of overweight people who eat like slobs. I work in a doctor's office and we have free lunch delivered to us 3-4 times a week---none of which I eat.

Anyway, I wake up religiously at 5 am to get to the gym for an hour before work, then make sure to eat a nutritious breakfast, pack my lunch and snacks and then go on my merry little way. The people at work take this as me not "eating enough" because I'm always hungry and want food. Maybe I'm always hungry and want food because I'm just freakin hungry! Why do people who are unhealthy--look at those who ARE healthy as having a disorder?! So what if I don't eat the lunches that are delivered to us?! So what if I eat a lot of protein bars, cottage cheese, fruit, etc. I LKE that stuff!!! Don't tell me I'm emaciated and don't eat enough because I'm thin and in shape!

This is just a rant, but I'm so tired of being looked at like I'm anorexic. I'm NOT. Sometimes I wish I could open my food diary up and show them. I told them one day what I ate for breakfast and lunch and they were like wow, you actually ate more than I did today. I was like yeah, you guys think I don't eat! I HAVE to eat a lot because I work out! It's just the quality of what I eat that's different than you!

Ughhh why do people have to be so ignorant? I've gotten it my whole life and I'm so tired of it. "I'm worried about you" "Don't lose any more weight, you're too thin" NO..I'm not too thin. Your PERCEPTION of thin is skewed just like the majority of America! Don't mistake emaciated for HEALTHY! There is a huge difference.

omgomgomg.

I TOTALLY understand this - all them drug reps coming in with lunches, catered meetings, etc. Ive been working in healthcare for over 17 years and its definitely happening in any healthcare environment. I work in an 85 person AR/AP Finance office. We hold the conferences there for physicians and surgeons and that includes their meetings and TONS of food. My office where we do all of the coding and medical billing, its all women... (***facepalm here)...

I have been asked why I dont participate in the pot lucks and food-related events. I made it VERY clear to them why. Between food allergies and sensitivities and the fact I have no desire to even risk trying someone else's food just to make them happy - their happiness means jack crap and I dont care. My health is more important. Im losing weight, and maintain well when it doesnt come off right away. My meals are 100% homemade even right down to the hot sauces I make.

Everyone cant wait to try my creations without my saying one word but come hell or high water, they pull the biggest 2 yr old temper tantrum...when I say 'no thank you'.

I would definitely have a heart-to-heart with one of the head physicians and the office manager in your office and make it known, you do NOT appreciate the office banter that goes on. Its unprofessional and it can be construed as workplace-harassment. Its making you feel uncomfortable and only YOUR primary care physician has a say on whether or not you are perfectly healthy at the weight you are at right now.. not anyone else - its none of their damn business.

You can do it hun!!!!

YES! Drug reps and their gifts of food are EVILLLL! Evil I say!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Hi Lolly! I am the same height and my goal weight is 130. It sounds to me like you are eating the perfect amount of food. I eat the same amount of calories you do, around 1500. Try to turn them on to MFP. I am glad you showed them how much you eat. It could be a revelation to them. You might be able to help them. Just show them the data. Show them that you are in the middle end of the range for a healthy weight. Let them see where they are on the same chart. Tell them, you will help them if they want to try.

Best wishes,
    Ruth
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    It's sad that so many people who work in a medical office, who have plenty of time to exercise in their evenings, are tremendously overweight and unhealthy. Don't they see the consequences of that lifestyle every day? It's just pure stupidity. You never see fat doctors. Just watch a few dissections of fat cadavers and it will be an eye-opener.
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    I know how you feel, I've been getting a lot of the same comments at my workplace. I told a couple women I work with about buying new pants a size smaller than usual and they were still too loose. Instead of congratulating me, I got a snarky comment, "That's because you've lost too much weight! I hope you're not planning on losing anymore" I'm 5'6 and 139, I still have another 10 more to go. I mean yeah, I probably look fine in my clothes, however, I know my body isn't where I want it to be yet ... lol they don't see me naked! They also make comments about what I eat when I'm on break which is annoying, some woman actually bought me a muffin the other day, saying I wasn't eating enough.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    I'm not always hungry, I'm just always bored at work and tend to eat out of boredom and mistake it for hunger. My work environment is a drag.

Same deal here... the worst is when people bring in their baked goods. Not sure if your the girl in the green or the red of your pic but both look pretty healthy to me!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member

omgomgomg.

You look amazing and they are obviously ignorant. Just ignore them.

Haters gonna hate
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    I noticed that some groups in society believe that it is okay to be overweight and feel that it is the norm but they dont realize that being overweight leads to diabetes type 2 and heart disease. Next time someone says you too thin, just say that you trying to prevent diabetes as even a small gut raises the risk of getting the disease which is true btw.
  • atulas
    atulas Posts: 23 Member
    One day someone will tell me i am too thin and i will smile. nsv
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Although, I will say that if I weighed the same amount as you, I would look like a seriously ill person...that is just my body type. You look great in your photo, and you are eating healthy foods! Perhaps you should just offer to show and compare BMIs, then tell them you are open to discuss who is the healthy one and who perhaps needs to join you at the 5 am gym time. Just sayin'.:wink: