How do you guys consistently track you food?

Options

Replies

• breenicolem
    Options
    Sometimes I log before I eat. I plan my meals, then log them all at once when I have time. I can make changes later if needed. I eat a lot of the same meals, so that helps too. I don't find it that hard to remember what I ate if I don't let it go too long between loggings. The phone app helps too.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    How can you FORGET what you ate? If you can't remember what you had for lunch 4 hours ago, you might have bigger problems than just losing weight! :laugh:

All joking aside, though, MFP mobile is really helpful when you're on the go. :smile:
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You have to get into a habit of doing it right there on the spot. Pull out your phone and log it. I hear my friends say they can't be bothered. At most, it takes 5 minutes. Usually much less time. But, if you can't do that for some reason, remember. Saying you can't remember what you ate is really indicating that you don't pay attentioin to what you eat. I know exactly what I eat because I make very purposeful decisions about it. Even when I eat wrong, it's a very concious decision I make to do that at that moment, so I never forget.

This is exactly my process, as well! It has to be quite intentional. A million conscious decisions every day.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Friday I map out my meals for the day--Weekends when a little looser I kinda track as I go--Always (try) do Exercise real time and in morning so I know what I can get away with. ex: glass o wine, dessert, etc.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    iPhone and iPad. My iPhone is always with me at restaurants and I do it right there--takes a couple of minutes. At home I am often entering the info as I'm cooking. Second nature now.
  • Dianna00001
    Options
    If u know what u are having for Breakfast and luunch..U can forward and put it in your food and then u just have to add supper! Or write it down !!!!! It is important to keep a food journal!!!!!!! For any kind of weight loss to work from Weight Watchers to myfitnesspals.... U have to keep a record of your foods!!!!!!!
  • anexus323
    Options
    Wow! You are all a great help. I think it's a matter of getting in the habit and possibly keeping a small notebook and pen with me in my back pocket.
  • ginbookus
    Options
    Wow! You are all a great help. I think it's a matter of getting in the habit and possibly keeping a small notebook and pen with me in my back pocket.

Very good plan! :) You just have to get into the habit and really be thinking about what you're eating.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    eat log eat log eat log just like that :) I'm either doing it on my computer or from my phone..drives me nuts if I'm somewhere I cant..but if that situation arises I put a "note" on my phone so I dont forget what I ate.
  • lookoutapiano
    Options
    I sometimes log before I even eat, as a meal planning tool. I find that if I do this, I can sometimes adjust my meals to make sure I stay within the correct calorie limit.

Otherwise, I log it on my iPhone app as I go along, or at my laptop at work.

I'm going on holiday soon and I plan to take a small notebook with me everywhere I go, so that I can make sure I log everything.

As everyone above has said, I think it is about making a conscious decision to make sure you log your food and committing to it.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food up to a week in advance and that's what I eat. It may vary slightly but I update right a way or send myself a text on my phone so I can refer to it later.

^^^Me, too. I plan a week in advance, then just adjust.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I think for me it just got to be a habit, plus the fact that I eat a lot of the same things and "saved them as meals" so I can just add a whole meal with one click instead of individually. You can do it, but I get mine started early in the day, like after my coffee and breakfast, I usually put it in right then. If I know for sure what I am going to have for the rest of the day or any part of it, I log it all ahead in the a.m. or right after lunch maybe:)

denise:drinker: :drinker:

PS I can change things at the end of the day if I didn't eat what I planned;)
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    Options
    I pre log my food on work days and I have a food scale.so know exacty what I'm eating. And on days that I'm off I log it after I eat it.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I log it after or during eating it.

Sometimes I log it before, while its cooking.

Or even once I decide what it's gonna be earlier in the day.

I log religiously!!
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i spend 10 minutes at the end of every day logging food for the next day and adjusting my current days food intake. Then I try to stay on track everyday but i pretty much know how much i can consume if i should go over.
  • vegas711
    vegas711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MFP Iphone App. love the scanner
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I try to log the evening before or the morning of.

It's best to log before you eat it, so you actually know what the content of it is before you eat it. After all, there is nothing worse eating something you guessed at only 200 calories only to find out its closer to 500 (it's happened to me in the early days).
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well... I didn't read all the comments but I often plan my meals ahead and will log it ahead of time. This helps especially so I know where to limit myself or not have something I would have unnecessarily added to my meals.. like, that extra piece of bread or extra tbsp of this or that... sometimes log while I'm eating though because I have a good grip on knowing what I'm eating...
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I try to log what I am eating just before or just after so I can stay on track. I also have the mobile app so even when eating out I can record it.
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As several others have mentioned, I try and log most of my day the day before. Then, I add or delete things on the fly using the Android app during the day. This helps me stick to my calorie goal and see where I have flexibility to eat more or less. I also use a Fitbit (which syncs with MyFitnessPal) and that helps me see what calories I have "earned" if I am hungry and want a little something extra. I think mostly it is about establishing a routine, making it a habit, and sticking with it. Best wishes!