Am I the only one without a smartphone?

Options

Replies

• Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have a Blackberry...I can't even take pictures on it and only got it back in February after my old Blackberry got damaged at a gig (thanks Rammstein XD) and O2 replaced it...not worth the £25 a month!! There's less than two months to go until I can get rid of this piece of junk and I'm going back to Sony and pay as you go!
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes you are. You, my parents, and my husband! LOL Seriously though, my SMART phone can be a huge pain in the back side! Sometimes I miss my old phone and my old phone bill...
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Nokia I take to work so my wife and kids can reach me. I don't look at it after work or on weekends.
  • mahlerosa
    Options
    I have a very DUMB phone...cheapo track phone. My $$ to spend on this kind of thing...recession and 3 kids.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No smartphone here! I've had the same motorola flip phone since 2008, lol! Hubby also has an old flip phone, one of those tough phones. I don't dare get rid of it since it's been for a swim more than a few times and still works!
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and don't have any immediate plans to get one. I mainly use my phone for business and it's just the cheap Straight Talk phones from Walmart- unlimited talk, text, and internet for $45/mo. Paid $80 for the phone and it uses the same phone towers as Verizon, Cellular One, etc. It works great for talk and text, but extremely slow with internet so I hardly bother with that part. Also you can't download music, pics, etc from the phone- you have to go online via computer. And it can't handle apps- that would be the main thing I'd want a more advanced phone for anyway. Someday maybe, but no rush.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just bought the sony arc s and I regret it, touch screen smart phones and me just dont go, looks pretty though lol
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have a smartphone. I can afford it because I don't spend much on other things. For example, I don't have a car, so I don't have to pay bills on that or buy gas.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've just got a Nokia that's half touch screen, and doesn't have Internet. I could afford a smartphone, but don't really need one. My husband has one and our kids like using it, and they have no interest in mine! I might get one when they're a bit older.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I barely like having a cell phone at all, and I don't get the need for smart phones, especially with so many people doing DUMB things with them (ex: walking into traffic while watching Netflix).

I have worked jobs where I needed to be available 24/7. I grudgingly admit a cell phone was useful for that.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    Smart phones are really just for entertainment purposes. There's no need to use a phone for a computing task. If you actually do work while out of an office I would recommend a simple phone with a netbook for mobile computing and 4g data package. That way you can still answer your calls but your an actual device to get real things done. For example you cannot check your email while you are on the phone, maybe. But not as effective. You cannot update excell sheets, pdf scans or compression software as quickly. Can't even access your remote server as easily either.

I personally use a Nokia N900 smart phone for mobile computing, it runs a variant of Debian linux. I can actually write my own programs to this thing much more easily than having to go around a market place. It's highly customizable but I don't use it for phone calls. I use a cheap phone for that. Much better rates.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    No smart phone for me, either. But I agree we are all slowly being forced to go in that direction. The choices are getting fewer and fewer. I think the data plans are outrageous!

Bring back two cans and a string!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nope - $100 bucks a year pay as you go! Only use it for emergencies!

This.

I've had a pay as you go plan for most of the past decade. I was paying $60 per month for Nextel and never using it. They sent an advertising text and that cost me $0.05 and I pulled of the highway and canceled right them. $100 per year is still more than I'd like to pay but seems okay compared to some of the other plans I've looked into.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, although I am sorely tempted. I hear that some of the prepaid plans are offering reasonably good deals for month to month unlimited plans. You do have to spend more on the phone, though. Check them out.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone. Or a dumb phone. Any kind of cellphone. I'm 26 and everyone thinks it's unheard of to not have a phone but as a kid I grew up with the phone attached to the wall (a ROTARY phone! And a party line we shared with another guy across the way I guess) and I guess I just haven't jumped onto this trend of thinking we're all so important we need to be contactable 24/7. Unless you're a doctor or something I really don't see the need. And I don't think it's healthy. People are stressed out about work and stuff because they can't turn it off. It's constant bombardment. I'm always at home or work. There are phones there. If I'm not there I'm at the gym. I don't want to talk to you then. And if I'm out shopping or something the odd time if you honestly can't wait until I get home well then I'd say you need to take a chill pill. And that's MY rant. I kept it short lol

A few people in my life who wouldn't buy a cell phone (and could afford one, if only a little prepaid cell for emergencies) used to protest that it wasn't inconveniencing anyone. That's simply not true.

It's very frustrating to do things with someone who has no cell phone. If you've ever been unable to find someone in a crowded place, had a change of plans, needed to reach someone immediately or send them a photo, a cell phone is indispensable.

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. You don't have answer every call or text.
  • ifrog3n1
    ifrog3n1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT alone! Personally, i wouldn't mind having one, but hubby says we are not adding a data plan. I know the plans at walmart are affordable, but buying the phones aren't.
    <><
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just got my first smart phone today. I use it for MFP, FB, text, take and publish pictures and look up things on the internet. It was a lot less then what I was paying AT&T for a regular phone. The phone was $79.00 then once a month a card for $45.00 with unlimited talk, text and messages and I got it at Wal-Mart. No contracts.
  • cmkeene01
    Options
    I dont have a smartphone. I have Straight Talk which is by Tracfone and Walmart carries it. I just upgraded to a touch screen this stinkin phone seems to me to be more hassle than it is worth.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Can't afford one either! :(
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've still got a dumb phone. I'm afraid that if I get a smart phone it will be smarter than me. It's already too close to call with my current phone.