Can organic food help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• sunnykt
    Options
    This thread is hilarious.
    Organic food for weight loss/ better nutrition = No value.
    Organic food for the potential benefits of avoiding pesticides and GM = Value.

But always read labels.
    Labels, labels, labels.
    Invest time, not money.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    again... no sources, no proof... just speculation

where do you get this idea that ancestor farmers ate more calories than we do...

and i dont know how many builders you know... but they dont all work as hard as a manual labouring farmer...

this is the modern age, we have diggers and tractors and all sorts of equipment, plus we have a much higher calorie dense food available, there were no sugary drinks, there were no sweets, there were no fast food restaurants...

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/06/17/early-farmers-were-sicker-and-shorter-than-their-forager-ancestors/

oh my... ancestor farmers were sickly and small?

anyway how would you know what "ancestor" farmers ate? did they keep food diaries?

Yes, agriculture was a step back from hunting/gathering. Anthropologists have shown that hunter/gatherers were bigger and stronger and more resistant to disease. The reason why agriculture was developed was to offset the famine that was a product of climate change (yes, it happened back then too) and the burgeoning population. Growing grain became a very important part of fending off starvation as it was calorie dense and non-perishable. It could be stored for long periods of time (in fact, grain has been discovered in ancient Egyptian tombs that is still viable!) and was there when needed. But it was not the ideal way to nourish the human body and thus mankind became more sickly and weak.

We can know what our recent farmer ancestors ate by various accounts. My grandmother grew up on a farm and her job was to make the bread for the whole family. They ate LOTS of fat and calories. But they were very active.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If you eat less of it, yes.

--P
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are really interested in knowing the causes of your obesity, here are some videos that will educate you:

1. Dr. Robert Lustig, who is a pediatrician, touches briefly on the topic of toxins in our environment but he spends most of his time on the chief toxin of them all---sugar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ&feature=relmfu

2. Medical journalist, Gary Taubes, speaks to the same issue of carbohydrates---especially simple carbohydrates such as sugar and starch---as the cause of obesity. He shows definitively that this is NOT new information but one that was "forgotten" by modern medicine. Fascinating and entertaining lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o&feature=relmfu
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    no
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Nope, organic food has the same nutritional benefits of non organic. The ONLY benefit of organic is the lack of pesticides, or any chemicals used during the growth. It's more or less a body benefit for you to keep it clean and not add chemicals. If you can afford it, go for it, if not, don't worry. Sometimes a minor dose of toxins keeps your immune system working.

Oh, on a side note, organic TASTES better in most cases as well. But regardless, you can eat a ton of organic and gain weight. Same theory for vegan and vegetarian. You can be fat and be either of those.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I say buy organic because it tastes better! (ergo, eating more vegetables, eating more fruits = better health)

I used to hate tomatoes until I had a local, organically grown tomato.

HUGE difference in taste and flavor.

This may not be true for other fruits or vegetables but regular tomatoes in my area taste like paper and organic, local tomatoes taste earthy and delicious.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    No, it can't. How do people come up with theories like this?
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's hilarious to me the amount of hatred some people have for organic eating. I can afford to eat local, organic produce, and I choose to eat said produce. Get over it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My freind told me today that if you eat all organic food you will lose weight. Is this true?

LOL,

no. Losing weight is a result of an energy deficit. Since organic foods have the same calories as non organic food, they aren't any different from a weight loss perspective.

This.

There may be other benefits to organic, but weight loss isn't one of them.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Doubtful, but you'll avoid all those nasty pesticides and whatnot. What you *would* benefit from is eating more *natural* foods and cutting out the *processed* foods. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store and buy fresh fruits and veggies (organic if you really want to) and stick to the leaner meats (chicken and fish).

Here's an awesome link that gives some more guidance on healthier eating.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Organic food has been scientifically proven to offer no measurable benefit to ones diet..

however it will have a significant impact on your wallet.

i can provide sources if you wish, or you can take my word for it.

your friend has unfortunately fallen victim to the cloud of misinformation surrounding organic food.

Unfortunately, a lot of "science" that suggests there is no difference, is sponsored by Big Agrigculture (for obvious reasons). Investigate your sources. Other more independent studies have found significantly higher levels of many nutrients in organic foods. That's why it tastes better and, since it is more nourishing, one is satisfied with less (in addition to skipping the toxins that Big Agriculture includes in their versions).

The other benefit of buying organic is that to be USDA certified organic, there are NO GMOs. It's much closer to the way that food was farmed, cattle raised, 100 years ago before science was so incorporated to everything that we consume.

What's wrong with science? If it weren't for science we wouldn't be able to feed the 7 billion people who currently inhabit this planet, people would still routinely die from pneumonia and we'd still be riding horse drawn carriages (and we'd have no Internet......maybe science is a bad thing after all! .:laugh: )

People have funny notions about how idyllic life was 100 years ago. Polio and tuberculosis were rampant, leukemia was a death sentence and a minor infection, now readily treatable, could prove fatal. Yup, life sure was good back then.......
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Organic food has been scientifically proven to offer no measurable benefit to ones diet..

your friend has unfortunately fallen victim to the cloud of misinformation surrounding organic food.

lol...sooo true.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This cracks me up. This thread is like a political MEME.

"Buys organic because pesticides cause cancer and big pesticide corporations are controlling studies to keep people in the dark. But believes the government has best interest at heart and is going to vote for Obama or Romney."
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The other benefit of buying organic is that to be USDA certified organic, there are NO GMOs. It's much closer to the way that food was farmed, cattle raised, 100 years ago before science was so incorporated to everything that we consume.

Why are people so afraid of GMO?

you can choose high yield, resistant, GMO crops...

or a substantial number of the global population starve to death.

your choice
    I've really enjoyed your posts. Correct, factual, clear and precise - and utterly accurate. Lots of people thrive on drama - Global Warming, Global Cooling, changing climate, GMO, pesticides, fungacides, ect.

Knee-jerk emotional drama is so much easier and so much more satisfying than actually learning about any given topic.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, a lot of "science" that suggests there is no difference, is sponsored by Big Agrigculture (for obvious reasons). Investigate your sources. Other more independent studies have found significantly higher levels of many nutrients in organic foods. That's why it tastes better and, since it is more nourishing, one is satisfied with less (in addition to skipping the toxins that Big Agriculture includes in their versions).
    ^^ I believe this to be true as well! I do taste the difference in the quality, the colors are much more vibrant because they are allowed to grow without near as much pesticide. Also the crops are rotated which makes a difference in the soil quality when food is grown, rather than all the nutrients in the ground being used up. The soil makes a huge difference in regards to nutrients if the crops are rotated.

My thoughts, My beliefs.:flowerforyou:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Nope. Is it possibly healthier for you because it may have less toxins? Yes.
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The organic produce tends to taste better because most conventionally grown produce is grown to have the longest shelf life and the most uniform appearance, which concidentally tends to breed all the flavor out of it.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are really interested in knowing the causes of your obesity, here are some videos that will educate you:

1. Dr. Robert Lustig, who is a pediatrician, touches briefly on the topic of toxins in our environment but he spends most of his time on the chief toxin of them all---sugar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ&feature=relmfu

2. Medical journalist, Gary Taubes, speaks to the same issue of carbohydrates---especially simple carbohydrates such as sugar and starch---as the cause of obesity. He shows definitively that this is NOT new information but one that was "forgotten" by modern medicine. Fascinating and entertaining lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o&feature=relmfu

Lustig and Taubes?
    All of your credibility just went flying out the window.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Organic veg hasn't been sprayed with chemicals. That's the difference.
    Only it has been researched that the chemicals on other veg and fruit is in such small trace amounts, that is has no effect on you at all. So fruit and veg doesn't really matter which you buy.

Organic meat is of higher quality (no water injected to make the meat look like it is more than it actually is and no different meats "glued together"). The animals will also have had a far better life and they use a lot less antibiotics and other chemicals. Those antibiotics are only needed when animals are really packed together and organic farming gives the animals more space, so less disease spread = less antibiotics needed.