Food Diaries: Open or Closed?

Options

Replies

• MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am here for fitness not food. I don't eat fast food, fried food, or red meat, so my weight is not my issue. I just want to be toned, so my friends are my motivation to work out daily.

Thank you xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    My diary is open to friends only. I do not close my diary daily and I do not review my friends diary unless they ask me to. I've been on here for a little while to realize what people eat is their business..personal. We are all grown adults and I have no business to judge criticize or condemn their food choice nor them to me. They can look, but keep your opinions to yourself...unless asked. If I'm looking for meal ideas I find it mostly on the message boards...lots of great recipes out there.

Thank you xxx
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed just in case someone decides to be an *kitten*. It's my business what I eat, not theirs. I do, however, keep my exercise open to anyone who wants to view it. :)
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I had mine closed because I simply didn't know there was an option until someone asked - and I'm glad I opened it up because I got some GREAT advice on how to eat since losing weight is about exercise and eating right :) I never actually knew how to so the nudges I've gotten have been great :)

Thank you, glad you have positive experiences of opening it xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I keep mine closed just in case someone decides to be an *kitten*. It's my business what I eat, not theirs. I do, however, keep my exercise open to anyone who wants to view it. :)

Thank you xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies so far - I have been very informed and enjoyed reading them.
    It is a shame that there are people on here who want to pull others down and demoralise others about their food choices! I will continue to read any further responses but may not be able to respond to you all!
    Thank you for commenting! xxx
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I go back and forth between open and closed (LOL!) sometimes because I like this site for the support and the self-tracking but I'm generally a somewhat private person. Also i had stomach surgery some years ago to repair a bleeding ulcer that wouldn't heal, so I don't hold or eat as much as the average person. the fact that I chronically eat under the calorie limit seems to bother some people (not that I care) but I don't want to hear about it. I eat a LOT of veggies which have very little calories so I'm eating enough but it just doesn't add up to much....... also a poor girl put a post out there recently about how eating Paleo has helped her lose weight and feel great, etc and some b*tch felt the need to review her diary and post every thing she's eaten that doesn't conform to "Paleo", not realizing that we are all human and the girl is trying to eat as close to Paleo as she can, cut her some slack she's trying and it's obviously working for her. I've found, unfortunately, that some people on here are less than supportive and are downright mean.... but the anonimity of the inter-web seems to give people way bigger balls than they would have in real life... maybe this is their outlet because they lack any power at home, who knows. There are some very positive and great people on here who are wonderful too... which is why we stick around :bigsmile: hope that helps answer your question a wee bit! I think I'll close my diary now before someone sees I ate a cupcake in August........
  • Ambersun53
    Options
    I keep mine open, its right there to remind me to logg everything in...like they say...
    out of site out of mind LOL...Thats just my preference..i even want to add the app
    to my phone, for when im out.
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine was closed since I signed up, but I had several people ask me to open it. I did (friends only), but I realize a lot of people only want to criticize. As soon as you open your diary, you open yourself up to more criticism. I love getting ideas and seeing what people have had to eat during the day, but I'm sure they are well aware of the choices they made during the day (good and bad) so I don't criticize. Some people, however, feel the need to criticize even if the only thing they can find is that someone was under their goal by a couple calories...
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    I keep mine open for a few reasons. But mainly I do it so I dont eat alot of junk food because if I eat it I have to put it in my diary and then you all see it .... lol I joined this site for support and so far I havent come across any asshats that wanna tell me im eating wrong. Just got some helpful tips and advice.
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally, I keep mine closed to keep me honest. I can be a bit of a repetitive eater and also have been prone to binging (although I am slowly, slowly starting to get that under control). I think if my diary was opened, I might feel less inclined to log the 'bad bits'. Besides, I know what I SHOULD be doing, eating/calorie wise, so I'm not really looking for advice in such a specific respect. Just my two cents:-)
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because I have nothing to hide - and because if it was only those who have asked me to be a 'friend' it would be limited to only be about 6 people.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Mine was closed because I signed up via the app. Once I started going online I found out I could change it to open so I opened it up only to my friends because I've seen way too many attacks on those who ask questions and ask for support. Usually things like how do you expect to lose weight when you eat xyz. So for that reason I have my diary set to friends only.
  • cdms811
    Options
    I keep mine open. If I know people are looking at it then i am more likely not to cheat on high calorie/fat foods.

My thoughts exactly
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed for the 'standard reason' I don't care to defend my food diary to strangers. This is after all the age of the "Interweebs" (yes, I did that deliberately) and people are rude, nasty and hateful...I will share this, I don't have access to a computer during the day at work, so I often just lump everything I've eaten into one meal, this I've done even when I was with Weight Watchers 10+ years ago. It's faster, simpler easier AND I don't get pissed off at tracking all the food/exercise. (I *seriously* got fed up with counting points w/WW one day and threw my book(s) and pencil across the room, I much prefer straight calorie counts, plus it's a way to test how accurate I am with my 'guessing')

:ohwell:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, anyone can see how I pig out and compensate for it by working out like a beast.
  • penniemh
    Options
    I go back and forth between open and closed (LOL!) sometimes because I like this site for the support and the self-tracking but I'm generally a somewhat private person. Also i had stomach surgery some years ago to repair a bleeding ulcer that wouldn't heal, so I don't hold or eat as much as the average person. the fact that I chronically eat under the calorie limit seems to bother some people (not that I care) but I don't want to hear about it. I eat a LOT of veggies which have very little calories so I'm eating enough but it just doesn't add up to much....... also a poor girl put a post out there recently about how eating Paleo has helped her lose weight and feel great, etc and some b*tch felt the need to review her diary and post every thing she's eaten that doesn't conform to "Paleo", not realizing that we are all human and the girl is trying to eat as close to Paleo as she can, cut her some slack she's trying and it's obviously working for her. I've found, unfortunately, that some people on here are less than supportive and are downright mean.... but the anonimity of the inter-web seems to give people way bigger balls than they would have in real life... maybe this is their outlet because they lack any power at home, who knows. There are some very positive and great people on here who are wonderful too... which is why we stick around :bigsmile: hope that helps answer your question a wee bit! I think I'll close my diary now before someone sees I ate a cupcake in August........

Love this.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, accountability is a good thing.
  • penniemh
    Options
    I keep mine closed. We have a lot of Ph.D's in Broscience on MFP.

If I wanted advice on what to eat, I'd see a licensed nutritionist in real life, not take advice from whackadoodles on the interwebs.

Love this!

Me too Jax xxx
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed because I don't want my food choices to be judged. I eat a little bit of everything in moderation. Most days I'm on or under my goal, some days I'm not. But there are things in my diary that hardcore "dieters" would not like. Plus, I've heard plenty of stories on the board about people getting nasty comments regarding their diaries. I've had mostly good experiences here, so I'd rather not risk it.