thumbs up or down - counting condensed soup as water intake

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Your stomach does not have separate compartments for water and solids, everything you swallow gets churned up together before it is released into your intestines.

As far as your digestive system is concerned, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between eating some roast chicken and vegetables with a big glass of plain water and eating a bowl of chicken and vegetable soup.

While this is excellent information I don't think that someone should say, "Oh, I am only going to have 3 glasses of water today because I ate all of that condensed soup today." It's just another excuse for someone who "hates water" to get away with not drinking it.
    If they don't need it, they're not "getting away" with not drinking it.

That's an assumption that they don't need it. How many posts on here are people whining about how they just CAN'T possibly drink horrible water. You think they're getting in half their body weight in ounces of soup each day?
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You need to realize that those condensed soups are CRAMMED full of sodium, and it's going to take about as much water as it you used to reconstitute that soup to flush it all out of your body again! So, NO, the water in condensed soups (or any other foods, for that matter) should NEVER count as your water intake.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You think they're getting in half their body weight in ounces of soup each day?
    What an odd suggestion, I have not suggested anything of the sort, I do not even know who these hypothetical people are and the figure of half of someone's bodyweight in fluid does not bear scrutiny either as it does not take into account climate, humidity, workload or any of the other variables which determine the amount of fluid required..

However, it is a fact that someone who drinks a lot of soup needs to drink far less water than someone who eats food with a lower proportion of water.

There has never been any research which shows that there is any benefit in consuming the required amount of water as glasses of plain pure water, and plenty of research which shows the contrary.

Obviously if you have any links to peer reviewed studies which demonstrate that drinking plain water has any benefits whatsoever over consuming water in other form (obviously discounting alcohol) I would be happy to review them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Could someone remind me why we're even bothering to count water intake?

If you're thirsty, drink water. If you aren't thirsty, don't drink water.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    It's a food, so no.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have a very simple system: if my pee is too yellow, I drink more water. Foolproof.

Now, what if your pee looks like condensed soup? Then what do you do?
    Ermagherd, If your pee looks like condensed soup- get thee to a doctor!!!! STAT!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Does it count to your body? Yes. It's up to you whether or not you log it as water. I don't log my water intake, as I feel I get sufficient fluids, but if it helps you reach a goal, I don't see the harm.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options

That sounds good in theory, but can be very dangerous to put in practice. A lot of times your brain doesn't decipher thirst as thirst. It can be misinterpreted as hunger, sleepiness, headaches, irritability, etc. I drink water constantly, because here in the desert it is shockingly easy to get dehydrated and really sick, without even realizing it. As a native Arizonan, I think it is a much smarter and safer idea to go by the color-of-your-pee rule, as a previous poster suggested.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

That sounds good in theory, but can be very dangerous to put in practice. A lot of times your brain doesn't decipher thirst as thirst. It can be misinterpreted as hunger, sleepiness, headaches, irritability, etc. I drink water constantly, because here in the desert it is shockingly easy to get dehydrated and really sick, without even realizing it. As a native Arizonan, I think it is a much smarter and safer idea to go by the color-of-your-pee rule, as a previous poster suggested.

Makes sense, especially given your environment. And color-of-pee rule makes sense. However, what doesn't make sense is arbitrarily drinking eight glasses daily just because. I'm just not convinced that the research backs it up.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down. Log water as water.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    This is a joke question, right? - the only thing that should be counted as water is WATER...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up.

But I also count Skittles as water.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Thumbs up.

But I also count Skittles as water.

Don't be stupid.

Skittles count as rainbows, not water.

Duh.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    However, it is a fact that someone who drinks a lot of soup needs to drink far less water than someone who eats food with a lower proportion of water.

I would agree with this if the OP wasn't talking about garbage condensed soup.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options

Makes sense, especially given your environment. And color-of-pee rule makes sense. However, what doesn't make sense is arbitrarily drinking eight glasses daily just because. I'm just not convinced that the research backs it up.

Agreed.

I'm all for questioning the rules, IF the rules seem to be causing trouble, or hindering progress. But since I feel so much better when I stick to a minimum of 8 glasses a day, (with a sharper attention and better energy) I tend to go with that, because without a fluids standard to hold myself to, I find myself slipping, and before I know it, whoops, it's 5pm and I haven't drank anything all day, and why am I in such a nasty mood and feel like *kitten*? ...Oh yeah. Now I remember. So for me it's just easier to stick with 8 glasses.

I'm assuming nutritionists were pressed to come up with SOME measurable amount of water to publicly announce as the recommended amount to drink, and averaged it out to 8. I'm not a nutritionist, and I don't have any other better number to use, so I'll be a sheep. Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I would agree with this if the OP wasn't talking about garbage condensed soup.

Let's compromise. You can't count the volume of water in the can, but you can count the water you add to dilute the soup. Fair? lol.

This question is so silly.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Why are people always trying to get around drinking water?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hilarious thread. TourThePast is the only one getting it right.
    8 glasses of water is a myth.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    Down. Way too much sodium to even be considered water.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :drinker:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Why are people always trying to get around drinking water?

Cause lots of people do not like plain water- I probably drink 6-10 glasses a day, as well as tea and coffee, but I firmly believe that the idea of needing 8 glasses of water (not tea, not coffee, not condensed soup) is myth. If you cant trust your thirst sensors - look at your pee.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp