Lean ground beef (95% or 96%) vs. ground Turkey

Options

Replies

• chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How can you guys stomach the smell of ground turkey? I would use it, but I just can't get past the smell. I don't notice it AS much in recipes where it really is ground. But tried a turkey buger and could not eat it because the smell was so overwhelming to me.
  • Dianna00001
    Options
    I rarely use ground turkey...... I use 94%-95% lean beef......I like the taste better .Altho I do like turkey sausage!!!!! Have a GREAT DAY:flowerforyou:
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use both. But I make my own. Just buy sirloin or turkey breast (or both) and put it in the food processor for a few seconds. You get to control what goes in that way. I don't do this if making patties as it doesn't hold together that well, but for anything else, this is the only way to go. You can trim off all the fat if you like and it's much healthier.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use ground beef exclusively....usually 95% lean.

I found this comparison....

90/10 ground beef = 197 calories, 22.4 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated fat
    Butterball ground turkey = 230 calories, 17 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat

So lean ground beef doesn't have all that much more fat...and does have fewer calories. And that's for 90%...95% would be even less.
  • tamarama72
    tamarama72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We use grass fed ground beef... we watched the movie, Food Inc, and changed to all grass fed beef. The calorie count on that is very similar to ground turkey (I think just about 50 calories/oz). Love it! We order it in 1 pound packages, 50 pounds at a time, from a local farmer.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think ground turkey is gross. I buy at least 12% fat ground beef from Costco, the difference in flavor for the super lean stuff isn't worth the calories.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is gross, and they add a "solution" to almost all poultry around here, so that leaves beef. But I buy fattier beef.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey tastes horrible to me. I always choose lean ground beef.

THIS
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use both. I use turkey more than beef in what I am eating (too much beef upsets my stomach)

it partly depends on which recipe and what is on sale.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I always use ground beef. Around 90/10 or so
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    also use turkey 9/10 or more. Venison is the other ground meat I'll use over beef. No matter how low fat (97/3% is the lowest I can find) venison and turkey win for lower fat and calories. I have fed both to ppl in many dishes and they swore it was beef.

I prefer venison or if I can find it, buffalo. I'm out of venison for the next 2 months, so will make due with ground chuck. I'm not a fan of ground turkey, although I do like the pre-made 95/5 pattties.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I never it beef, so ground turkey for me. Everything can taste horrible at first skim milk, whole wheat bread, sweetener, etc. But once you get used to eating healthier you don't have to worry about your weight fluctuating! My health is more important "to me" than the taste of food!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    turkey, Once you go super lean with beef to mean it just tastes BLAH
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I actually did some label-reading and found that my store's extra-lean ground chicken is nutritionally better than turkey. So I go with that. Then again, the only beef I really like is steak.
  • imbeginningagain
    Options
    my husband can't tolerate red meat so it's ground turkey for us
  • cbellanger
    cbellanger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We made the choice about 2-3 years ago to switch from using ground turkey instead of ground beef. It takes some getting used to initially, same wit any major change, but we would never go back. I use it in place of ground beef in any situation. Meatloaf, burgers, tacos, spaghetti, sloppy joes, even the occasional kid-requested hamburger helper. Our family now prefers this so much that we often find the same meals unnapealing when made with red meat. It also gives my husband terrible stomach issues for days afterwards.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ground turkey is usually 85/15 I believe.

so i'd go with the beef.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    96% beef is a staple in my diet. I need the iron. When choosing a ground poultry, I go for ground chicken. There is something funky about ground turkey that I just don't like.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use 96/4 ground beef and its only 150 calories. I think it taste better than turkey.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    To each his own taste wise and if someone doesn't feel so great eating either than they should be all means avoid it but I don't think one is far better than the other.

I use lean ground beef. Beef has gotten such a bad reputation but there are a lot of health benefits to red meat. There are a lot of nutrients in beef. Of course you don't want to eat a whole pound at one time but eaten in moderation with other healthy foods is just fine!

There is a massive difference between eating a fast food hamburger and eating homemade lean burgers with grilled veggies!