UK clothing shops

Options

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Last week I tried a skirt on in H&M in a size 12 which fit but was a bit snug, so I purchased it in a size 14, took it home, and there is virtually no difference in size :huh:

I can wear anything from a size 12 - 16 in H&M (and I do as I love their clothes). New Look and Primark are also a bit hit and miss. I buy my jeans from Gap, but I can buy the same size and cut of jeans and they fit differently (the length can be a bit off too). Monsoon, Dorothy Perkins & M&S come up big on me, but Next, Hobbs & Phase 8 fit well.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Ladies i refer you to the link below.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/feb/14/highstreet-clothes-size-chart

Follow it to the app
    http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

And you can put in. Your measurements and see what size you are on different shops.
    :drinker:

Honestly that site is not true to me, I'm around a size 16 in most places, I'm a 14/16 in Dorothy Perkins and that site has me at an 18/20.
    16 in Monsoon but has me at 20/22!!
    Actually I'm probably different to most of the sizes it says I should be.
    To OP: Everyone says different, I used to find George at Asda came up small on me, I haven't been there for a while though, Next usually come up small on me too. New look, Monsoon, Dorothy Perkins and River Island are usually big on me.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i used to work in a knitwear factory making clothing for m&s, we used to get the garments in dozen bags and they were all supposedly the same size but you can bet at least half the bag was either bigger or smaller than it was supposed to be, when they went for the final press before being bagged up and sent to the shops they were put on a sizing frame and shrunk to fit (or stretched if needed), in theory this was supposed to make the sizing uniform, in reality it made not one bit of difference lol

i have 2 pairs of skinny jeans from new look exactly the same type, colour, style, bought on the same week, one is a 16 and falls literally to my knees unless wear a belt pulled tight, they then look oddly bunched up, the other is a 14 which are at least 2 inches off fastening

you just cant trust sizes at all
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Can't think of any store that uses standard sizing :-(
    You could be a multiple of sizes all under the one roof :-(
    Ante hate hate it!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have real trouble finding clothes to fit properly. Long body, short legs (really short, 29in inside leg) The 'petites' sections seem to be a little more consistent with sizing but in TopShop Im a 16, Dorothy Perkins Im a 14, H&M 12/14, Tesco 12 and George at ASDA is a no go because nothing fits right! Waists on dresses are too high for my body and the trousers end up with the crotch at my knees or legs are way too long lol
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    tbh i think there should be a national resizing of all clothing to reflect the standard sizing of today and not the bloody 1950's! i love going to the usa and buying their clothing.lol
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    i used to work in a knitwear factory making clothing for m&s, we used to get the garments in dozen bags and they were all supposedly the same size but you can bet at least half the bag was either bigger or smaller than it was supposed to be, when they went for the final press before being bagged up and sent to the shops they were put on a sizing frame and shrunk to fit (or stretched if needed), in theory this was supposed to make the sizing uniform, in reality it made not one bit of difference lol

i have 2 pairs of skinny jeans from new look exactly the same type, colour, style, bought on the same week, one is a 16 and falls literally to my knees unless wear a belt pulled tight, they then look oddly bunched up, the other is a 14 which are at least 2 inches off fastening

you just cant trust sizes at all

maybe they can shrink me lol
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion the best thing to do is take about 3 versions of everything into the changing room, like asda for example I got 2 pairs of jeans from there into the changing room one that fit right was a 16 and the other pair a 16 was too small so I needed an 18, even the same shop has different sizes. So I usually pick something and if they have the sizes I take what I think I am, one under and one over and stay there fore 45 mins while I try everything lol I went to Debenhams in Newcastle took in 24 items the woman wouldn't let me I had to split them between 2 people that was a fun day! After all that too I only left with a vest top!
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of size 8 jeans from River Island and a pair of size 14 jeans from Topshop. Placed ontop of each other they are the same. They are the same style and fit the same too. Its ridiculous!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love River Island, Miss Selfridges and Vera Moda. I love that I can shop in those places now :-D
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to shopping in these places again. Plus size clothes shops are far and few between, and expensive. They seem to sell shapeless sacks in different clours no real style. I have dropped from a UK 24 to a UK 20, and getting close to that UK 18. Thankfully most places have changing rooms. Trousers are my bug, the waist will be loose but tight in the legs. I have rugby players would be proud of due to cycling and walking everywhere.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I will add a male POV for this as I went shopping over the weekend.

I can understand women's clothes being different in different shops as the sizes are made up numbers. For men however, especially trousers it is a measure of inches.

Last week i measured my trouser waist to be 39" however in Next over the weekend I ended up buying a 34" Jean. A huge NSV for me but it does really feel like their inches are bigger than the inches on the tape measure just to make people feel smaller than they are and better about themselves?
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a New Look top that I had to get in a size 14. I'm only 112lbs! I had to get it to fit around my chest but they're not even that big so I was really confused!

I'm a size 10 in a lot of shops but I've found that in some clothes I own, they're a little big. Too scared to try on a size 8 though!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I went shopping at the weekend, I've got a size 16 dress (Next), size 12 and 14 trousers (both the same brand from New Look!) and a size 12 Top (H&M) it just seems bizarre cos generally I'm a 12 in Next and a 16 in H&M!!

The size 14trousers are replacing my favourite jeans I had to chuck away so I went to the same shop and bought some EXACTLY THE SAME but in a "smaller size". Actually the same size but I know for certain I've lost one if not 2 dress sizes since I first bought them! Its insane!

I just take in a range of sizes and dont buy ANYTHING without trying it on. I'm not going to squeeze into size 12's just because it sounds better if the size 16's fit me better!!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love Next, dont buy jeans anywhere else. Ive watched myself go from a size 20 down to a size 16 as of last week :D. They are the best for consistant jeans well for me anyway. I have a love hate relationship with primark, I actually love their tshirts which fit perfectly at a 16, but shirts and trousers is a no go area, not even a size 20!!!
  • cfarrugia90
    cfarrugia90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to work in Topshop and their sizes varied massively! Generally in their jeans I would be a UK 10 but sometimes I could get into an 8 and then others, I could barely get one leg into a 12! As for Primark, I wore a pair of size 8 jeans yesterday that I bought ages ago but if I tried an 8 in Primark now, not a chance! Clothes stores have really varied sizes, it's so annoying because it means I have to always try stuff on!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with finding clothes that fit me perfectly as I am in between a size 10 and 12. I can get away with 10 for my upper half but definitely not the bottom half (unless it stretches)/

Shopping for jeans can be a nightmare as I am very picky. I dislike any trouser where I have to wear a belt so I want something to fit my waist or sit on my hip. With this requirement, I find French Connection and TK Maxx the best places to shop for jeans. I have tried on jeans in places like New Look, Dorothy Perkins and they just don't look right on me. When it comes to my work tailored trousers, I tend to buy them at Next or Debenhams as they usually fit quite well.

I occasionally browse in primark and it is very rare I find something there that I like. I find they do nice long sleeved tees which come in handy under other garment at winter time. Last winter I bought 2 jumpers there also.

I am slo a fan of Esprit. They do really nice tshirts, vests etc. I ordered about 6 online quite recently.

Other places I shop online include Very, Asos and Littlewoods. I am also browsing around Boohoo website to see if there is anything worth getting.
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I will add a male POV for this as I went shopping over the weekend.

I can understand women's clothes being different in different shops as the sizes are made up numbers. For men however, especially trousers it is a measure of inches.

Last week i measured my trouser waist to be 39" however in Next over the weekend I ended up buying a 34" Jean. A huge NSV for me but it does really feel like their inches are bigger than the inches on the tape measure just to make people feel smaller than they are and better about themselves?

Often places will vanity size (label things as smaller than they are)
    It's a way of making customers feel good about themselves so they are more likely to return.

Also, the number on the size doesn't usually include added wearing ease (necessary to prevent seams splitting when you move), and different brands or even styles of trousers can have different amounts of ease. Most waistlines are at least 2 inches bigger than the number, but this explains differences in actual size between two pairs of trousers with the same labeled size.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm all about Next and Dorothy Perkins for my in between clothes. Dorothy Perkins 2 for £25 on jeans have been my friends from size 14 to size 10 at the moment, with some 8's waiting in the wing.

When I get to my goal, I'll have fun attempting Primark, Topshop, and River Island.

I do have a size 8 topshop duffel coat that fit me when I was a size 16????!!!!!!!

Sometimes the trend for baggy clothing works in one's favour!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm all about Next and Dorothy Perkins for my in between clothes. Dorothy Perkins 2 for £25 on jeans have been my friends from size 14 to size 10 at the moment, with some 8's waiting in the wing.

When I get to my goal, I'll have fun attempting Primark, Topshop, and River Island.

I do have a size 8 topshop duffel coat that fit me when I was a size 16????!!!!!!!

Sometimes the trend for baggy clothing works in one's favour!

do the dorothy perkins jeans fit well? i remember not having much luck with them in the past but this was years ago lol. i might need to revisit them.